Handicap tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicap tournament

Susan Polgar has a poll on her blog asking people what they would be willing to pay as an entry fee in a handicap tournament where First Prize was $1,000,000.
    She does not specify the handicap, but states that everyone would have a reasonable chance at the top prize. In order for that to be the case, I would suggest a handicap I once used at a Xmas Party tournament at the Bayview Club a few years ago. As far as I recall, the handicap was rating related >>>

For everyone to have a shot at the top prize, this would have to be a handicap tournament. One I have tried before is>>>
    "for every 200 rating points you are ahead of your opponent you must remove 1 point in value from your starting line-up. Thus a 2300 player meeting a 1900 player would remove two pawns from his army. Against a 1700 player, he might remove his queens knight, for example.
    Thus, everyone would feel they have a chance to beat a GM"

As I recall, an A Class player won first place despite a number of masters being in the line-up.
    This scheme would not work if the ratings were not accurate to start with.
    I may try this at a Xmas party later this year using our very accurate Rapid ratings. :)
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Friday, 15th June, 2012, 09:41 AM.

Re: Handicap tournament

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    This scheme would not work if the ratings were not accurate to start with.
    I may try this at a Xmas party later this year using our very accurate Rapid ratings. :)
    By nature ratings are inaccurate, especially at the low end. Handicap tournaments with big money would encourage sandbagging even more than usual.

Comment

Some years back, we tried handicaps in blitz tournaments - every 200 points equalled one minute more/less on the clock (obviously - players never had less than one minute) . Invariably - the crosstables showed the same results - the strong players at the top, and the weak ones at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Some years back, we tried handicaps in blitz tournaments - every 200 points equalled one minute more/less on the clock (obviously - players never had less than one minute) . Invariably - the crosstables showed the same results - the strong players at the top, and the weak ones at the bottom.
        Wouldn't that imply that the handicap was not sufficient? Ideally the point of a handicap is to introduce enough entropy to cause strong players to fail (occasionally) and weak players to sometimes rise above their anticipated level.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

How about a handicap where the stronger rated player has to win in x number of moves? Still artificial but it's better than taking pieces off the board to start the game in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Wouldn't that imply that the handicap was not sufficient? Ideally the point of a handicap is to introduce enough entropy to cause strong players to fail (occasionally) and weak players to sometimes rise above their anticipated level.
            In normal conditions anybody can sometimes rise above their anticipated level. It seems to me that the main idea behind handicaps would be to produce more interesting matchups, not to allow the impossible where a 1200 players beats a 2600 one. A big enough handicap to allow that on a regular basis would have to be gross. But whereas handicaps are part of the tradition in the game of GO, they have become totally obsolete in chess and have never fit very well with the nature of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              In normal conditions anybody can sometimes rise above their anticipated level. It seems to me that the main idea behind handicaps would be to produce more interesting matchups, not to allow the impossible where a 1200 players beats a 2600 one. A big enough handicap to allow that on a regular basis would have to be gross. But whereas handicaps are part of the tradition in the game of GO, they have become totally obsolete in chess and have never fit very well with the nature of the game.
              The main idea of a handicap is indeed to allow the weak player to beat a very strong player. In poker or backgammon, the luck of the deal or the roll of the dice allow just that and that is why you have the WOSP (world series of poker) where the top prize is about $10,000,000 - everyone thinks they have a chance but not even the best players consider themselves to be the favorite to finish on top. (Hellmouth being the exception who thinks he should win every time :).
              In chess tournaments, a weak player is always eliminated early and so the prizes are not very large since the entry fee for the class players reflect the fact that they cannot expect a big payday at the end.
              The one instance in chess where the weak player can hope to beat a GM or master is in a simul and that is why the patzers continues to pay $20 and more for a chance to beat a top player. You would not want to change the rules of simul play in some way where the GM would never lose - no one would pay to play.

Comment

When I was learning there was an older man at the club. He used to like to play "progressive" with weaker opponents (which was most of them) but had one regular. Sometimes when his regular opponent didn't show I played him because he would basically teach while we were playing.

With progressive the first game was even. Second game he removed his bishop pawn. Third game either the knight or bishop. I forget which. Then it was the rook. He would remove his rook on a1 but move the pawn to a3 and then he moved something else to start. After that he would remove his queen but got 4 moves in exchange. None of the moves over the 4th. I seem to recall the moves were e4, d4, c4 (or maybe it was f4), one minor piece move and after he made the 4 moves he started so he got a 5th move.

One evening I worked him up to where I was spotting him a queen. It was the last time he ever played me.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I am puzzled by Jean's comment that handicaps do not fit with chess. My understanding is that in the 19th century most games were played with handicaps. Didn't Morphy on his return from Europe refuse to play except with a substantial handicap?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                    I am puzzled by Jean's comment that handicaps do not fit with chess. My understanding is that in the 19th century most games were played with handicaps. Didn't Morphy on his return from Europe refuse to play except with a substantial handicap?
                    I am well aware of your examples. But haven't you noticed that this was the 19th century and that now it is 2012 and no longer being done (probably for a reason...) ? How would you like to beat Short at knight odd ? Would you really enjoy it ?
                    Chess unlike GO, does not easily lend itself to handicaps. Giving away a pawn is not significant since one gets an open line in return. And nowadays giving a whole piece away is simply too much, even against an average amateur. But in GO, giving away one to nine stones is easily done on a 19x19 board. It makes for a longer, more interesting fight where the stronger player have plenty of time to make up for the handicap. There is no game like chess, where one single mistake can cost so much. That is why handicap games have gone out of fashion along with the increased level of the amateur players.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      You would not want to change the rules of simul play in some way where the GM would never lose - no one would pay to play.
                      I want to know : what sensible rule do you have in mind to make sure the GM would never lose ?

Comment

I want to know : what sensible rule do you have in mind to make sure the GM would never lose ?
                        OK Here's one. In a simul, the grandmaster can declare a draw at any point in the game and proceed to the next table. Although, I guess no simul giver with any class would resort to such a tactic. But I can think of some who would.:(

Comment

I agree with those who suggest that a material handicap in chess makes little sense. Certainly a time handicap would be possible, though how much time an Elo point is worth will always be arbitrary. In fact the world chess championship might have come down to something like this with draw odds to the player with less time. But both players should start with all of the pieces (not necessarily on their original squares). :)

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                            I agree with those who suggest that a material handicap in chess makes little sense. Certainly a time handicap would be possible, though how much time an Elo point is worth will always be arbitrary. In fact the world chess championship might have come down to something like this with draw odds to the player with less time. But both players should start with all of the pieces (not necessarily on their original squares). :)
                            Having organized both chess clubs as well as tournaments, I have always thought it important to attract new players to the game. Most newcomers are seriously intimidated by the use of the chess clock. They at first forget to punch the thing after making their move. Then, when they lose the game on time, they come away thinking the game is for humbugs and not for decent people.
                            So time handicap is fine for experienced players but no so much so for the novice.
                            In general, the novice is much more acceptable of being spotted a knight or a rook and then having time to think. We've all seen beginning players for whom a queen spot is not enough. But then when they win their first game they come away hooked on chess. Isn't that what we want?

Comment

How would you like to beat Short at knight odd ? Would you really enjoy it ?
                              Chess unlike GO, does not easily lend itself to handicaps. Giving away a pawn is not significant since one gets an open line in return. And nowadays giving a whole piece away is simply too much, even against an average amateur.
                              My experience of being a B-A class player in blitz tournaments against masters (from Morenz and Nickoloff to recently Mark Plotkin) I have been a minor piece up and have lost like 10-1. I don't want to play GMs as they crush me out of an opening line, little thinking involved, no struggle. But I agree that starting without a piece is bastardizing the position. A master is way better than me and there's no way of getting around that.

Comment

Working...
                              X