Upcoming tournament pre-reg - vs last year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming tournament pre-reg - vs last year

Here's how we stand on the pre-registration lists for upcoming events as of this date a year ago.

CYCC:
    2012: 176
    2011: 153
    2011 total actual entries: 166 (I could be off by a few here).

Canadian Open:
    2012: 114
    2011: 151
    2011 total actual entries: 263.

Quebec Open:
    2012: 60
    2011: 71
    2011 total actual entries: 253.

Re: Upcoming tournament pre-reg - vs last year

additional data: (for this year's Canadian Open)

-5 13
    -4.5 14
    -4 19
    -3.5 22
    -3 24
    -2.5 29
    -2 36
    -1.5 61
    -1 106
    -1 1
    -0.5 115
    -0 130
    final 154
    and something else to compare it to:

Last edited by Roger Patterson; Sunday, 22nd July, 2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Hugh:

I'm working from memory here ( very unreliable ), but I thought the 2011 Richmond Hill CYCC was at least over 200 - the prior 5 year average had been around 150, and they had substantially exceeded it.

But as I say, I'd have to go check the crosstables ( which I'm not willing to do, if there's someone out there that knows if Hugh is right - or did Hugh check the crosstables already?).

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        But as I say, I'd have to go check the crosstables ( which I'm not willing to do, if there's someone out there that knows if Hugh is right - or did Hugh check the crosstables already?).
        I counted 237 (https://sites.google.com/site/cycc2011/match-stats)

Comment

2011 Richmond Hill CYCC

Hi Egis:

Thx. - that's the range I thought it had been in. It was a real endorsement of the new Provincial YCC qualifying system, which had just been brought in before the 2011 CYCC. They substantially exceeded the pre-YCC 5 year average of 150.

It is interesting to note that the 2012 CYCC pre-registrations have also passed the old average, despite there having been, as far as I can tell, fewer YCC's this year.

Is it that we have actually made the CYCC more attractive, by forcing registrants through the qualification or seeding systems, rather than having it wide open?

Bob A
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 18th June, 2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

As I recall, in the Ottawa Canadian Open 2007 we were around 100 or so at this point and ended up with nearly 300, a mixed blessing as we had to scramble for space and pairings, etc. It sounds as if Victoria may well be on track to equal or better this total.

Comment

You're probably right about the 2011 CYCC numbers - I had the number "166" written down without a date beside it, and couldn't be bothered adding up all the numbers from the CFC crosstables (and that's a suggestion I made a while back - add a column with the number of players in each event on the "Crosstables" page (the FQE does it)).

Re: qualifying for the CYCC - my question still remains unanswered as to how does someone get on the qualification list for the CYCC? There are over 200 listed on the U10 list, for instance. Does the CYCC accept anyone who comes up with the money?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                Re: qualifying for the CYCC - my question still remains unanswered as to how does someone get on the qualification list for the CYCC? There are over 200 listed on the U10 list, for instance. Does the CYCC accept anyone who comes up with the money?
                The theoretical answer to your question can be found in CFC Handbook (please see below):

1003. Players: {Motion 2009-13 2009 AGM Nadeau/Lavin}

The following players shall be eligible to participate in each Youth Tournament provided they comply with the formal entry requirements of Article 1007:

(a) The qualifiers from that year's YCC's.

(b) The qualifiers from the CYCC to the WYCC of the previous year.

(c) The highest rating rated of each age category {open & female} of each Province {as of May 1st prior to the CYCC}

(d) The host organizer may nominate three players for each category from the host location. {Amendment of Original Motion Barron/Langer}

(e) The former CYCC Champions [Motion 2011-28E Michael Barron/Anna Jin]

(f) Where there is no provincial qualifier, up to 3 players may be qualified at the discretion of the provincial Youth Coordinator. In the absence of a Provincial Coordinator, players would apply to the CFC Youth Coordinator. Motion 2011-28F Gillanders/Brammell]

(g) The top ten rated players in each age category in the country (as of May 1st prior to the CYCC) [Motion 2011-28H Brammell/Armstrong]

Comment

So we have 253 "qualified" U10 players listed here:

http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/cycc-20...d-players-u10/

But nowhere does it say HOW they qualified! When I check the CFC crosstables for the character string "YCC" and add up the number of players in U10 qualifiers since Jan. 1, there are a LOT FEWER than 253 for the U10 (even if you add another 20-25 players which might qualify from the other rules listed in Victor's post). There should be a field on the "qualified" list indicating how they qualified.

Could a player (or parent) actually challenge the participation of a player who could not provide a proof of legitimate qualificiation?

Comment

Re: 2011 Richmond Hill CYCC

Hi Egis:

Thx. - that's the range I thought it had been in. It was a real endorsement of the new Provincial YCC qualifying system, which had just been brought in before the 2011 CYCC. They substantially exceeded the pre-YCC 5 year average of 150.
                    That is the wrong conclusion. The 2011 CYCC in Toronto where most of the players live had a particularly high participation rate because the financial threshold for entry was significantly reduced for a large number of the participants. [No airline fare required and for many no hotel required]. That is the only conclusion that should be drawn. The YCC system collapsed under its own weight this year. Everyone involved in junior chess can see that this was the case. The only reason that Ontario participation in the CYCC held up is that the qualifying threshold was reduced to scoring 2/5 in the OYCC. The reason that this was necessary was that there weren't sufficient YCC tournaments organized.

It makes the CFC look bad to make pronouncements about the CYCC being well attended because of YCC tournaments when this is obviously not the case. Lets try to be real.

Windsor probably would not have had a YCC if it weren't for the fact that siblings of a number of children who had prequalified for CYCC 2012 by playing in WYCC 2011 wanted a chance to qualify to play and Frank Lee and Brendon Lee made it happen so that the kids could get that chance to qualify (though they all later qualified at OYCC). Many of the kids who qualified at OYCC weren't even on the local chess radar and didn't know about the local YCC which was organized in a hurried manner.

It is interesting to note that the 2012 CYCC pre-registrations have also passed the old average, despite there having been, as far as I can tell, fewer YCC's this year.

Is it that we have actually made the CYCC more attractive, by forcing registrants through the qualification or seeding systems, rather than having it wide open?
                    No, that's not it. A national championship will be attractive whether you have the requisite YCCs or not.

Relax the qualifications by making a win and a bye in OYCC sufficient for qualification.

Add in a whole bunch of highly motivated Windsor kids and parents who frankly surprised me with their desire to attend this event. I had thought when the bid was awarded to BC that we might get half a dozen attending from Windsor and not nineteen. At least two of the Windsor YCC winner/qualifiers won't be there which is too bad as both would have had a good chance of winning their section.

Add in a good local turnout from BC and the usual turnout from the rest of Ontario. That is the beginning and the end of the story. Other than the turnout from Ontario and BC, the turnout from the rest of Canada will be rather poor. Particularly disappointing is the turnout from neighboring Alberta and the lack of entries from Quebec. We really need to find a way to get the players in the FQE to reconnect with the rest of Canada.

Comment

Re: 2011 Richmond Hill CYCC

Hi Egis:

Bob A
                      By your logic, we'd get more players at the Canadian Open if we "forced" players to qualify. I think not. Geography was likely a bigger factor. A lot of young chess players live a convenient distance from the 2011 CYCC site.

Comment

The data & graph in the preceeding post have been updated to reflect the final information. Maybe it will be useful to someone else....

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                        additional data: (for this year's Canadian Open)

-5 13
                        -4.5 14
                        -4 19
                        -3.5 22
                        -3 24
                        -2.5 29
                        -2 36
                        -1.5 61
                        -1 106
                        -1 1
                        -0.5 115
                        -0 130