Round 3 pairings are up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 3 pairings are up

The women play Fiji and the men Jamaica. Very favourable pairings it's really pot luck right now with the accelerated pairings coming off. Good luck to both teams tommorrow.

Re: Round 3 pairings are up

Good thing the sports aren't Rugby and Sprinting.

Mismatches such as these, and the ones involving teams with perfect scores, as late as the third round, suggest that some tweaking to the pairing system needs to be considered for 2010. Dare I nominate Jean-Claude Templeur?

Comment

The line-up for today...

OPEN DIVISION

Br. 105 Jamaica (JAM) Elo - 48 Canada (CAN) Elo 0 : 0

37.1 FM Elliott Warren 2264 - GM Charbonneau Pascal 2499
      37.2 Matthews Shane 2179 - IM Zugic Igor 2457
      37.3 Rowe Duane 2203 - IM Roussel-Roozmon Thomas 2486
      37.4 Wilson Brandon 2112 - IM Noritsyn Nikolay 2372

WOMEN

Br. 98 Fiji (FIJ) Elo - 53 Canada (CAN) Elo 0 : 0
      40.1 WFM Lyons Kieran 1840 - WIM Khoudgarian Natalia 2149
      40.2 Ram Rachna 0 - WFM Yuan Yuanling 2157
      40.3 Antrea Frentina 0 - WFM Kagramanov Dina 2118
      40.4 Gloria Sukhu 1562 - Barron Irina 2071

Comment

Re: The line-up for today...

Canada's women are up 1-0 (not every day you have four mates-in-one!) in the Rugby match and will soon go up 3-0.

Sprinting is more of a slog. Pascal seems to have a strong pin along the 4-rank, and the other games are comfortable enough.

Comment

I don't think you are allowed to pin your opponent down in sprinting, although I can see where the temptation would be.

Comment

Similes do break down. For example, it is possible for a rugby game to end 3-0 or 5-0, but not 4-0 as Canada did over Fiji.

Meantime, Canada has sprinted ahead of Jamaica 2-0, with favourable-looking positions in the other two games. Another sweep is not out of the question. Oops, that's Curling.

Comment

Hmm. Looks like Thomas will have to allow a perpetual (not using an engine). That's good news, too, because it wins the match.

Comment

Wow, Thomas gave up a piece to avoid the perp. He will have three pawns, at least. And a perp of his own, it looks like. That's the spirit: always negotiate from a position of strength!

Comment

The Jamaican, Rowe, didn't take the knight, he went into an ending two pawns down. He has a bit of bish power, but surely the pawns will carry the day.

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for this!

I am trying to access the games live...and it is asking me for a Username and password...what am I doing wrong...or where do I register?

Thanks!

Larry

Comment

Larry:

I never had to give a username. Let's see that we are on the same page:

http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.m.eng.html

Comment

Looks like we are about to have the biggest upset of the Olympiad so far. India (without Humpy) is up 2-1 against Russia. The remaining game is drawish.

Comment

Azerbaijan and Armenia can have the A teams. We have the Eh teams. Brilliant concept by Thomas. In a drawish looking opposite B ending he gave up the extra pawn. That gave him access to the square the pawn had been occupying and won the game! So it's 4-0 and 4-0 for Canada. The most points we have ever won in a single Olympiad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                            Larry:

I never had to give a username. Let's see that we are on the same page:

http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.m.eng.html

Weird...yep I was on the same page....from the office computer it asks for username and password...and from home...I go directly to the games...well...at least our teams shut out the opposition...even without my help :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                              Looks like we are about to have the biggest upset of the Olympiad so far. India (without Humpy) is up 2-1 against Russia. The remaining game is drawish.
                              China lost to Norway in mens so that's probably the biggest upset considering how well they were doing coming into the event. The Indian woman travel around the world and gets lots of training, I'm not surprised they won. They also have pretty high ratings and aren't big underdogs when faced against Russia.

Comment

Working...
                              X