• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Olympiad organizers reserved a space for Canadian bid

This is from Olympiad webpage:

Olympiad Stands for Sale
    Dear Chess Friends;
    The olympiad stands are put on sale for the Chess Olympiad. The prices and the placement plan is written below;

PRICES

◦Seller of Products : 150€ per m²
    ◦All promotional activities ( such as; Baku, Tallinn, Toronto, Albena, Tromso): 600€ per m²

Re: Looks like Olympiad organizers reserved a space for Canadian bid

Istanbul was more optimistic about a possible bid from Toronto than Kevin Spraggett was.

As an outsider to the bid, I can only guess that the business people who might have supercharged the required funding, found too tenuous the connection as a proof of commitment and global competence for a possible Toronto Olympic Games bid.

Supercharged may look like the wrong word. It may be the wrong word. I use it in the sense of enriching, not as a neologism for deficit spending. Funding the Chess Olympics would be a non-starter for either the Ontario or federal governments, so you'd need a big business sponsor or eleven, only after which a bit of matching support might be pried away from the gov'ts.

Funding a major chess event is a non-starter for the federal government because they've decided that chess is not part of their world. Several provinces, including Ontario, have at times taken up with chess. The organization of chess in Canada, however, is largely federal, with the CFC taking the leading role. After 78, 79, 80 years of that, I believe it is a strategic mistake because it leaves the provincial associations unready, especially now and in recent years, Ontario. It may be time for the CFC to devolve. </re-re-rant>

Comment

The token wager I offered was not accepted. I guess 20 dollars is 20 dollars. :):D:)
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        The token wager I offered was not accepted. I guess 20 dollars is 20 dollars. :):D:)
        You made more than $20 worth of mileage, er, brand identification from that offer. Everybody knows what the Gary Ruben brand stands for now, if they didn't before! See how generous I was to decline to give you mere money? So, congratulations, Gary Ruben, you won. You must make quite a haul from Leafs fans who, around Thanksgiving, muse about making the playoffs or even winning the cup "this year". Lambs, leaf lambs, leaf lambs with mint jelly.

I was supportive of a Toronto bid for the Chess Olympics. But the odds were long. Yes, 20 dollars is 20 dollars! Plus I saved an envelope, a stamp, and the bother of writing a cheque. Not a betting man, don't want to view others or myself in an ovine light.

Comment

The brand is realism. It's nice to dream but when the reputation of Canada is on the line those kind of projects should be realistic.

I don't bet Leaf games, that I recall. :) You must have me mixed up with someone else.

I do have a small wager on the next federal election. My edge is the other side of the bet likes that kind of politics. Personally, I could care less who wins. So I look at it objectively. The polls have the NDP leading. History tells me it won't likely translate to forming a government in three years. So it's a reasonable wager for both sides.

Do you happen to be one of those who thinks the NDP will win the next federal election and form the government?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
          X