My FIDE rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My FIDE rating

Looks like I will be 1817 on the FIDE rating list of July 1st based on 12 games including 1 from Guelph. I plan to play tournaments in Crete, Vienna and Dieppe this summer - all 9 rounds. Then Antwerp at Christmas. Possibly two tournaments in Switzerland as well if I have time in November during break week and in January just before I fly back to Canada.

I was going to play in Paris as well in July but I'm not supposed to be in France on a student visa until 3 weeks before my classes officially start. One of those legal things that you don't realize just travelling as a tourist.

Needless to say Europe is the place to be if you want to play in a lot of great tournaments. They put our flag on our board name plate so I guess I'll be showing the flag for Canada where I go, so far I've only met one other Canadian playing in Europe.

Here's the ratings list of all the playes from Guelph for FIDE.

http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_r...?event16=67756
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 27th June, 2012, 10:05 AM.

Re: My FIDE rating

This sounds like a lot of fun (in addition to lots of hard work). What are you studying in Paris?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      Needless to say Europe is the place to be if you want to play in a lot of great tournaments. They put our flag on our board name plate so I guess I'll be showing the flag for Canada where I go, so far I've only met one other Canadian playing in Europe.
      Who was the other Canadian playing in Europe?

Norm

Comment

Peter, I'm finishing up my commerce degree at www.essec.edu on exchange through Ryerson University, my first exchange term was at IESEG in Lille, France

Norm, the other Canadian was Leon Piasetski

in the future I'm hoping to do some grad studies and hopefully do an exchange term in France again, if I'm lucky a year or two of a PhD, to allow me a chance to play some more in Europe, but that would be several years away, it's hard to arrange things to be able to do this so this is a rare chance for me

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
          Peter, I'm finishing up my commerce degree at www.essec.edu if I'm lucky a year or two of a PhD
          Good luck with that*... ;)

I did enjoy playing chess in europe as a 'student' (postdoc) in 2008-2009.

Mathieu

*10$ bet that in 2 years you'll have the exact same 1-2 years deadline... no offense!

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
            Good luck with that*... ;)

I did enjoy playing chess in europe as a 'student' (postdoc) in 2008-2009.

Mathieu

*10$ bet that in 2 years you'll have the exact same 1-2 years deadline... no offense!
            probably :)

Comment

Best wishes for success! Sounds like an opportunity a lot of us would love to have. :)
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                Best wishes for success! Sounds like an opportunity a lot of us would love to have. :)
                thanks very much Peter :)

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Regarding Crete:

I played in Paleochora in 2010, and in Rethymno and half of the Paleochora tournaments in 2011. These two annual tournaments are organized by the same awesome team of individuals. This past year, Rethymno had ~180 players and Paleochora had ~260.
                  Both of them have 50+ titled players, including several GMs.
                  Along with the two tournaments above which are in July, there is also one in August in Iraklion, but I don't know too many details about this tournament, and it was smaller than the other two.

Below is an e-mail I got from the organizers for Rethymno & Paleochora, about the editions for 2012:

-----------

Rethymno and Paleochora Open chess tournaments, CRETE 2012

Dear chess friends,

Crete Island gives you the opportunity to combine chess with a few days relaxing
                  holidays, enjoying the sun and clear blue sea!

We'll be very happy to welcome you this summer in Crete for both of the tournaments we
                  organize!

Rethymno International chess tournament: 7-14 July 2012
                  Web: www.rethymnochess.gr, e-mail: info@rethymnochess.gr

Paleochora International chess tournament: 16-23 July 2012
                  Web: www.chaniachess.gr, e-mail: info@chaniachess.gr

The tournaments will be enriched with many parallel events, like:
                  Free excursion by boat to amazing Elafonisi beach and daily bus trips to beautiful
                  beaches (Paleochora); Music event (Rethymno); Blitz tournament; Chess lecture and lessons
                  with a GM; Simultaneous with a GM

With best regards from Greece,
                  For the organizers, Tsarouha Anelia

-----------

In 2010 I had the opportunity to pass by Iraklion, big city, worth visiting if you can, definitely more expensive lifestyle than anywhere else on the island.
                  The Palace of Knossos is a quick bus-ride away. It's an interesting site but the guided tour was overrated and not particularly informative.

Rethymno is considered to be the island's city of culture, but it's also very very heavy on tourism. Their city centre maze of souvenir shops is incredible, but in my opinion they ruined a good chunk of the waterfront with resorts and such.

Chania is the second biggest city in Crete and if you're able to spend a couple of days there, totally worth it. Like in Iraklion, there are many Venetian Ruins around, but whereas in Iraklion they seemed bigger and on the waterfront, in Chania they were incorporated within the city, and you can see some interest contrasts around the dense port area, many side streets even have part ruins / part inhabited houses.
                  Chania is probably impossible to avoid if you travel from Rethymno - Paleochora.

Paleochora is a small town of three or four thousand people which nearly doubles in the Summer months. Quiet small place in the Southern coast of Crete. Beaches in the south are incomparably superior to the ones on northern coast where all the big cities are. The type of tourism in Paleochora seems much more relaxing. Families and older couples are by far the majority. Youth tends to be more around Chania & Rethymno.
                  During the Paleochora International, the chess event is "the" big thing in such a small place, justifiably so since with 250+ players, they just gained about 350-400 tourists for that one week.

If you'd like to know more information about any of the above, you may contact me at alex(dot)ferreira(at)utoronto(dot)ca

In my research last Summer before going to Greece, I found a colossal 12 (!) 9-round tournaments happening in a 9-week span, from beginning of July until beginning of September, all in Greece.
                  They all seemed to be in the same format. 9 Rounds in 8 days, all in the evenings, with the exception of the 2nd day also having a morning round. 5 in mainland and 7 across several islands. Needless to say, some of those conflicted in schedule.
                  So there is plenty to look forward to in Greece. Many visiting players play in two or three tournaments, making it a small circuit.

Good Luck and have fun,

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Working...
                  X