CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Great Moments in Canadian Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Great Moments in Canadian Chess

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    I wanted to check out what was called the largest international match for the time, although largely taking place in the US:

As reported in Charles Crompton’s Toronto Daily Star Chess column, July 16, 1949

Canada – USA International Chess Match
    Sunday, July 2, 1949

Site USA-Canada
    Bangor, ME 4.5-13.5
    Berlin, NH 2-6
    Vergennes, VT 4-0
    Elizabethtown, NY 7-3
    Buffalo, NY 29.5-23.5
    Port Huron, MI 2.5-2.5
    Detroit Lakes, MN 15.5-9.5
    Regina, SK 1-1
    Waterton Lakes, AB 14-10
    Seattle, WA 36.5-17.5
    Total 116.5-86.5

Later in the month 7 Canadians went to Texas to play in the US Junior. CFC President Bernard Freedman had a hand in both events and he noted that Toronto had at least 400 teen-aged boys and that in 3 or 4 years there will be 5 times as many players.
    Does anyone know the results of the 1976 US bicentennial border match? I believe it was quite a bit bigger than the number you posted here for 1949.

Below is a scan of the medallion I got (every participant got).

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
      In 1991, Dr Nathan Divinsky and Dr Francisco Cabanas hosted the World Microcomputer Championship at International House at UBC.
      I was there.

Another event hosted by Canada was CCCA-60, in which three Canadians achieved the Correspondence Chess Grandmaster (GMC, CGM) title. It could also do double-duty on Jean Hébert's list of "dark moments", as he was one of the new CGMs.

Winner was Denmark's Erik Bang. AFAIR, he never became World Champion, but then again Magnus Carlsen has not yet been world champion of face-to-face chess. Magnus's participation alone would probably lift an event to mention in this thread.

Comment

133.5-93.5 for Canada, but it was not all played on the same date. See http://www3.telus.net/public/swright...l#bicentennial for at least the BC details.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          Does anyone know the results of the 1976 US bicentennial border match? I believe it was quite a bit bigger than the number you posted here for 1949.

Below is a scan of the medallion I got (every participant got).

[
          Thanks for mentioning this slightly larger event. There has also been many small matches like Vancouver-Seattle, Toronto-Buffalo, & Scarborough-Indianapolis.
          Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Wednesday, 4th July, 2012, 05:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
          X