New attendance record for CYCC (non Ontario edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Yoo Hoo Chris Mallon and/or Larry Bevand

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    I have never been to Texas, but I have noticed this also. They have lots of players and lots of strong players. What do you think is the secret?

Money.

Texas Tech (where Susan Polgar *used* to be until recently) offered serious scholarships for chess.

Here in Canada, it seems impossible to get even a room for a tournament donated...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: New attendance record for CYCC (non Ontario edition)

Does the CYCC attract only the best players? Here is a game between two anonymous 10 year olds.

[Event "2012 Canadian Youth Chess Championship"]
      [Site "Vancouver"]
      [Date "2012.07.05"]
      [Round "x"]
      [White "xxx"]
      [Black "xxxx"]
      [Result "1-0"]
      [WhiteELO ""]
      [WhiteTitle ""]
      [BlackELO ""]
      [BlackTitle ""]
      [Source "MonRoi"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 a5 3.Nxe5 Bb4 4.Qf3 d6 5.Qxf7 1-0

Comment

I posted this on the Outgoing Governors' board http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2695

At the OYCC, the qualifying requirement was reduced from 2½/5 to 2/5, and I hear that at the Fraser Valley and Vancouver Regionals (often a player's first tournament) scoring 2/5 was good enough to qualify for the CYCC. Those BC regionals were sectioned off by grades not age and gender. The Alberta YCCs and OYCC had a “slow” time control, unlike many others which were active chess.

The ratings of many players are very low... in U18, a player is rated 732. In U16, a player is 972. Many players are shown as unrated – presumably they have never played a regular-rated game. This is, I believe, a direct consequence of the YCC system encouraging inexperienced players by allowing them to qualify with low scores at their first tournament.

Apparently no changes are planned for the YCC qualifying system.

Comment

By the way - the loser of the short game I posted came all the way from Ontario to play - and did score 1/2 a point against someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            By the way - the loser of the short game I posted came all the way from Ontario to play - and did score 1/2 a point against someone.
            Maybe he had a bad day... it's not so nice to be so judgemental

Comment

Where is a final standing for these these kids:
              Code:
               1 	Jason Cao 	BC 	W17 	W11 	W6 	W3 	D2 	W14 	W13 	6.5 	100 	26.5 	28.5
              2 	Joseph Bellissimo 	ON 	W42 	W23 	W7 	W10 	D1 	W6 	W3 	6.5 	100 	26.5 	28.5

Tie-breaks:
              Direct encounter
              Sum of progressive score
              Buchholz
              Playoff
              Sonneborn-Berger
              Won games
              Games played with Black

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Where is a final standing for these these kids:
                Code:
                 1 	Jason Cao 	BC 	W17 	W11 	W6 	W3 	D2 	W14 	W13 	6.5 	100 	26.5 	28.5
                2 	Joseph Bellissimo 	ON 	W42 	W23 	W7 	W10 	D1 	W6 	W3 	6.5 	100 	26.5 	28.5

Tie-breaks:
                Based on the fact that they tied on:
                Direct encounter
                Sum of progressive score
                Buchholz

They played 3 more games in order to decide the champion:
                - 2 games 15min+5 sec inc (if I remember correctly) - both games were draw
                - Armageddon: Jason won the coin toss and choose Black (4 min and in case of a draw he wins, White had 5 min) ... and he won on the board. The Armageddon game was taped and will be available shortly on Monroi webpage.

Comment

Andrei, when you have recovered from your work last week, could you post on the website the winners rest of the awards... junior trophies, bughouse winner, best game winners, etc. The PGN of the best games would be nice, too.

Comment

PGN's (and the viewable games) of 30-35 games from each round are available on Monroi. I am going through them - making corrections where necessary - and can post a "clean" file eventaully.

Comment

Thank you, Hugh, did the event use duplicate scoresheets for the rest of the games? Also, I was interested in the games chosen for the "outstanding game" prizes... does anyone know what they were?

https://picasaweb.google.com/MonRoi....68950199082850

Comment

I don't know if they had duplicate scoresheets or not. If so - I would be pleased to enter them into CanBase.

Comment

I don't know if they had duplicate scoresheets or not. If so - I would be pleased to enter them into CanBase.
                          We did provide duplicate scoresheets, please contact Ken for them.

Comment

You can find one of the games on the main page:
                            http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/

Comment

Andrei wrote:

We did provide duplicate scoresheets, please contact Ken for them.
                              As I am not sure which "Ken" you are referring to, could you get him to send me an email at my-first-name.my-last-name@mcgill.ca (making the obvious substitutions)?

Thanks.

Comment

Andrei wrote:

As I am not sure which "Ken" you are referring to, could you get him to send me an email at my-first-name.my-last-name@mcgill.ca (making the obvious substitutions)?

Thanks.
                                Hi Hugh:

Please write a quick email to BC Junior Chess!

Contact CFC Governor Ken Jensen

Email: ChessBC@shaw.ca

http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/contact/

Thanks for doing this! We may have some more here from the Canadian Open if you are still looking to assist -- Roger Patterson would welcome the assistance I am sure!:)

Comment

Working...
                                X