Bond's Eye on Dresden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bond's Eye on Dresden

Better late than never I hope! Here are my first 4 articles crammed together in case I get kicked out of the press centre. Oops - it´s too much. I´ll try splitting it. Will keep on writing as best I can. FIDE Congress committees start tomorrow so who knows.

Jo-Anne my Dear, if you read this can you dig up my sympatico email password for my next phone call home? My laptop has become an introvert. So we'll have to settel for webmail.

THESE TRIPS ALWAYS BEGIN WITH A RIDE to the airport on our local service Red Car. My last chauffeur, Reggie, arrived for pick up about 20 minutes early and managed to arrive at the airport half an hour before I could check in. This gave me some much needed time to practice being tall. Perhaps of greater interest his past association with Stompin Tom Connors, who alleges to be quite the chess player. At least he was good enough to win 6 straight games, quickly, from Reggie. To Tom’s chagrin, Reggie promptly ended the match. Thereafter they stuck to billiards, cribbage and a card game developed by Tom called 454. Apparently Tom is quite a head strong old cuss and the two are no longer buddies, but Reggie did let it slip that Tom lives in Southwestern Ontario. Maybe someday I’ll track him down for a few games.

Travelling with us was a University of Guelph student who knew a chess player – none other than SWOCL President Michael Von Keitz. She told me that Mike is also the President of the U of G Math Club, the German Club, and of course the U of G Chess Club. I noted this information and later warned Michael of the dangers of over commitment, burn out et al.

This trip has begun differently. The Red Car was on time and the ride was very quiet. We got here plenty early - about 3.5 hours before the flight, but I was able to check my luggage right away. The little contrasts are rather common, and despite being incidental they still form part of the overall impression. At the World Cup in 2005 the weather was warmer than Toronto upon arrival, before dropping to -30C and I never adapted to Siberian time. In 2007 the weather pattern was the opposite and I adapted almost immediately to the local clock. Funny how memory works.

12:55 Frankfurt time, Wednesday November 12.
    The flight was fine and well below capacity. . The plane was newer – a monitor at every seat and a wide selection of movies. The food plan was quite good but the Swiss steak was slippery and that became relevant soon enough. I had 2 seats to myself with a window but this was just enough space to experience the futility of aero slumber. Sleep on the plane, wake up in pain.

Once in Frankfurt, the gate for the Dresden flight came at the end of a circuitous route -down six flights of stairs, along a 300 meter corridor to an elevator which took me back up to the surface. My itinerary lagged most of the team by about 4 hours, so it was a pleasant surprise to run into Pascal and Irina at the departure zone. Pascal has recently left the employ of Canadian Chess Patron Sid Belzberg and now works for a hedge fund, in the harried field of merger arbitrage. He looks forward to a reunion with the Canadian Olympic team and venturing into battle for 2 weeks.

Visible from our departure gate was one of those accordion walkways connecting to the plane so I expected to be spared the indignity of a commuter bus that schleps so many passengers at the Frankfurt Airport to their plane. Wrong again. The circuity of the route to our departure gate paled to the mystery tour of our magic bus that took us to our aircraft. The premium paid for my last minute plane ticket finally bore fruit. I was seated in business class. Not only did this mean pine nuts in the salad, but I scored a copy of the November issue of The Economist, wherein Garry Kasparov was quoted along with several academics on the question “Does the free market erode moral character?” Garry replied “Yes, but other systems are worse... it is still superior to all other economic arrangements that have been tried.” This turned out to be an advertisement for the John Templeton Foundation and Garry’ book “How Chess Immitates Life” was tagged. It was still pretty cool though. He was in good company.

The flight to Dresden took but 45 minutes. The platoon of chess players filled the plane and the luggage carousel worked overtime to discharge all the precious cargo. My suitcase seemed to take forever. I started thinking about the crazy bus ride to the plane and allowed myself to doubt that my luggage had made the flight. Then I remembered the slippery Swiss steak – too much of which ended up on my only shirt. Luckily I broke into a sweat. Next, someone dislodged my glasses as he lunged in front of me to get a better look at the latest release from the carousel. I pondered my response – a stern warning, an armlock or maybe a simple choke hold. Before I could decide, the name tag that my wife made for my suitcase came into view. All that angst for nothing. Thanks Jo-Anne! And that knob who violated my space bubble thanks you too!

An accreditation centre was located in the arrivals area of Dresden Airport, and buses were on hand to transport players to their respective hotels. Hmmm. I told the Olympiad people on Monday, November 10 that I was coming for the FIDE Congress. Registration had only closed 2 months ago so this was bound to be a cake walk. First I played the Canada - card. Nothing. Then FIDE Delegate – nothing. “I might be an Arbiter” I bluffed. They check again. “Ah yes! Here you are Mr. Bond. Let me prepare your Arbiter accreditation card.” As it turns out, a Russian Arbiter fell ill at the last minute. The Deputy Chief Arbiter Klaus Deventer , a colleague from the 2007 World Cup, learned of my imminent arrival and slotted me in. Thanks, I think.

As the bus rolled into the Westin Bellevue Hotel where team Canada is staying, Pascal and I were greeted by most of the team, who were returning from a restaurant. The euphoria of the moment was soon lost when I reached the reservation desk. I had been assured that a reservation was made for me but no record was found. I was able to reserve 3 nights here until we can figure out where I will stay.

Too soon thereafter came the Opening Ceremonies at a hockey arena. A stage was centered on the ice rink where some local cheerleaders opened the show with some spectacular throws and other eye catching moves. They were replaced by several drummers who played around and then broke into the simple signature beat of Queen’s “We Will Rock You”. This was cool, I’m a long standing fan. Then out comes a Freddie Mercury mimic on skates. He nails the tune and follows with “We are the Champions” from the stage as a foursome of speed skaters with dry ice fumes billowing from their funny hats add an odd visual effect. I caught up with the singer soon after to congratulate him. He is Johnny Zitilny (I think) from Montreal! No wonder he can skate! He stays pretty busy with his Queen tribute routine. Later on he delivered “Play the Game” . The rest of the ceremony included a number of musical/chess treatments with more skaters. It was interesting but a tad long. The speeches, which tend to mark the end of the ceremonies, were welcomed.

Before I could sample any of the food and free beer I earned of an arbiters meeting at the playing venue. Chief Arbiter Ingatious Leong of Singapore chaired this meeting and he braced us for some new rules, subject to the Captains meeting the following morning. First, there is no one hour grace period for tardy players. Zero tolerance is the new rule. If you are a minute late, you forfeit. Second, no draws before 30 moves. Deliberate short book three folds may be double forfeited! Any 3 move repetition before move 30 must be accepted by the sector chief arbiter. This feels like a slippery slope. Must Arbiters now memorize the book of short book three folds? If a player’s cell phone rings during play, the player forfeits. If a Captain’s phone rings, he/she leaves the hall and misses the next round. If an arbiter’s phone rings, his/her gig is over – the stipend is prorated and no more work. The time control has been lengthened to 40 moves in 90 minutes followed by 30 minutes to mate, with a 30 second Fischer increment from the first move. The pairings are being accelerated for the first 3 rounds, and standings are based on match points, not game points. This means both Canadian teams are paired up in the first round but no pairings will be posted until after the captains meeting on the morning of the first round. Evening pairings for the following day are expected thereafter.

Round One and two

Thursday, November 13th almost midnight

Still no internet access. Grrr.
    The first round came with the usual chaos. The Arbiters showed up at 1:30 to prepare for the 3:00 start. Not every Sector Arbiter had a list of match assignments and no one had me assigned anywhere. I finally found out who I was replacing which lead me to the second women’s sector with Carol Jarecki. What a pleasure! By the time she had assigned everyone to single matches, 3 matches were left for me. Eventually another Russian woman joined me. Ultimately she was helpful but she frequently wandered off, once for an hour! More than once she transcribed games results from the scoresheet to the match result sheet (known over here as a “match protocol”) backwards.
    She had a sharp eye for irregularity but could not interpret what she saw. Part of this problem stemmed from the fact that the clocks were not using the move counter to allot the additional 30 minutes after the 40th move. One player’s clock had to run down to zero before both players would receive the extra half hour. This was not explained at all to the players and captains, and many games were affected throughout the tournament.
    “She lose” My colleague wanted to call a flag after move 45 because a minus sign appeared on the clock when the 30 minutes were added. The two captains were stressed and confused. I was tracking the move and time progress every half hour and could show that the player who was earmarked for a time forfeit had completed 34 moves with 23 minutes remaining. This player had also asked me on move 42 when she would get her extra time. Finally they all calmed down and the game continued normally.
    “She no write” Again confusion about the time allotment. As a players flag counted down, after move 40, she started to panic and the moves for Black did not appear. I looked at the other scoresheet and saw that she had fewer moves recorded, and then understood. The nervous player with Black was writing both moves in the same column. Easy fix.
    I was glad to see the end of this high maintenance round. We were instructed as Arbiters to be mindful of disturbances, and soon after the first hour of play a baritone voice persisted in the hall. I scanned the balcony and noticed a synchronized set of lips, then the lips stopped and the sound continued. Another close correlation soon broke off. As I moved toward the sound it became clear. I recognized the voice from Bonn – it was GM Klaus Bischoff providing mic’d commentary in an adjoining room with the doors wide open. I reached the doors simultaneously with Women’s Chief Arbiter Gary Becker, who shared my concern. He found a magic button to release the doors.
    Breakfast and lunch are provided at the hotel and dinner is provided for all at City Hall – a 20 minute walk away from the venue. At last I got a chance to visit with our team. Everyone was in good spirits and the team chemistry is very evident. Nikolay was disappointed with his short draw against Chandipan because he had White. Igor Zugic, our last game to finish, was also disappointed that he was unable to convert his advantage. Dina got a good position with Black but time trouble came early and she shed a pawn with fatal consequences.

Friday, November 14 ,12:30pm. Still no internet.

Pascal has the day off and our women will play their first four. I was charged with collecting the team lists from the captains in our hotel this morning from 9:00-9:30. Then I waited another hour for the courier. More time to practice being tall.

The internet issue is a nightmare. Last nite 2 hotel staffers spent nearly 2 hours with me trying to connect. Whatever they did to my computer has made matters worse. Now the computer freezes every time I try to find a network connection. Another 2 hours were wasted this morning with I.T. staff and the service provider which only made me late for work, or so I thought.

As I scurried off to the hall a 50 euro note appeared on the ground. Scoop! I reached the playing venue by 1:45 in a panic, only to learn that the round had been delayed by an hour – an unprecedented move. As I entered the playing hall another arbiter’s meeting was about to begin. This too was news to me. Early for the round, just in time for a meeting, 50 euros richer. Win some, lose some!

“This one hour delay is a black mark on my record” Ignatious began. The decision was taken in consultation with the organizers after the first round was evaluated. A revision to the floor plan was considered necessary to improve traffic flow. Good call – the venue is too crowded. No place for team captains to sit and too few work tables for the arbiters accentuates the problem. The organizers have agreed to work harder on crowd and noise control in exchange for the arbiters spending more time cleaning up after the games. A discussion followed about whether or not we should set up the DGT boards after the completion of the match. The organizers want this, the tech guys prefer to leave the boards in their final position for better data capture. The organizers prevailed, but not all the arbiters complied.

Carol Jarecki revised the assignments this round to optimize languages. My colleague for the round was Gregor Johann who was excellent. He looked after Canada – Costa Rica, I covered the Hearing Impaired versus Puerto Rico and we shared Bosnia vs Sri Lanka. The work is not difficult but it continuous and there is plenty of opportunity to slip up on the documentation. Before the round we check all the clocks and write the match number, board number, section and round on all score sheets. Every half hour we record the times and move progress on each board. When a game is finished we stop the clock and place the kings in the centre of the board to show the result. We then scrutinize the scoresheets, sign and return the player copy. Then we find Carol who signs and keeps her copy for the tech guys to fetch periodically. We keep the originals with the match protocols which are then updated. Finally we mark the result on the team pairing sign for each match, front and back. The signs are printed such that a 1-0 becomes a 0-1 on the flip side. It’s a good thing I am dyslexic. Starting with this round we’ve been given printer numerals to peel and stick on the sign. When the match is over both captains must sign the match protocol, if you can find them before they run off with their team.

As you know, our Women’s team reversed their fortunes completely, allowing only one draw against Costa Rica. Our men’s team repeated this pattern. I didn’t get a chance to eat with the team because I had to wait for a final decision on my hotel stay. From Saturday onward I will be caged with the other Arbiters at Hotel Ibis. The rooms are much too small for double accommodation, so I will have to pay extra for a single room, as most Arbiters have chosen to do.

Comment

Round 2 evening, Round 3 + 4

Joining me for dinner at the Maritim Hotel were Chess Base founder Frederic Freidel and the representative of the Norway 2014 Olympic bid, Borge Robertsen. Norway is well ahead of the curve since the Congress will only decide on the 2012 Olympic bids this time around. Borge is not a chess player. He is working full time on this bid. The project came about after a power struggle between political factions in Norway scuttled their bid for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Chess Olympiad became an attractive alternative - less expensive yet enough appeal to satisfy their appetite for an international event. Their budget is about 10 million Euros, which is more than twice that of Dresden. Tough to say who else will contest 2014 but Tromso is on the Norwegian coast - lost of fiords, whale watching, it would be a nifty destination.

Saturday, November 15, 10pm. The internet is a big fat lie.

Today I was exiled to the Ibis Hotel. They take population density to a new level. The toilet is so close to the wall that you have to ride side saddle. The sink juts into your chest, which could be useful if your health fails you sufficiently. Cheers to learning new skills. Once again I was only able to reach the hall by 1:45, and this time I was late for another unscheduled arbiter’s meeting. If we spot a spectator in the playing hall with a cell phone we are supposed to take it from them! We were given player tags for each team Captain, which the Captains must issue to their 4 players each day, in order to keep the alternate players out of the hall. Lost tags are subject to a 10 Euro replacement charge. Tomorrow we will be given tazers to be used at our sole discretion. Joint locks and chokes, on the other hand, must be approved by your sector arbiter. Go figure.

I was paired again today with Gregor Johann for 3 matches. Uzbekistan- Paraguay got a little tense on first board. The match had been decided by 3 Uzbeki wins but much honour was at stake. Finally at the start of this round Ignatious announced (in English) the nature of the additional time being added to one’s clock. The Uzbeki player, who had been in time trouble for 10 moves, spoke no English and did not understand why she didn’t get her 30 minutes after she reached the first time control of 40 moves. It seems this confusion will persist with every player until it happens to them. Naturally they are reluctant to allow the clock to reach 0:00, allowing themselves to first die before they can be reborn. I tried every communication trick I could think of to convey the idea that she should just continue to play. Her captain was elsewhere, as were her team mates, and she growing upset . Carol Jarecki came over also tried as well. Meanwhile the Paraguayan wondered why we had not stopped the clock. Her captain also became concerned. Seconds later the 30 minutes appeared on the clock and tensions gradually eased. The drawn rook ending soon reached a peaceful conclusion. We were lucky that there was no lasting harm.

If I sound too critical of the organization, I should add that there are many positives, and improvements are being made with each passing round. The logistics are massive, and the 4th arm of the octopus doesn't always know what the 7th arm is doing. I have worked the World Youth, the World Cup and the World Championship. This gig is easily the most taxing one yet.

Sunday, November 16, 11:30 am

When life serves you lemons, add sugar, water and suck it up!
      This morning after a decent rest I enjoyed breakfast with the players of the Namibian team. Their Federation of 3 or 4 years old, and it was remarkable how similar our challenges were/are when it comes to garnering support for chess in our countries. Their support come from the government and they must compete with other Sport Federations. We derive our support from our members who are bombarded by competition for their time and money. In the end, we both struggle.

As they described life in Namibia, I was left with the impression that it is truly a land of opportunity. I meekly asked where they are located in Africa. They are on the southwest coast, neighbouring South Africa. They are among the top 5 countries in Africa by land mass, with a population of 1.9 million people. They claim to be blessed with plenty of natural resources, including water. China has discovered them, and surprisingly, so has Iceland. With the current money meltdown Iceland was unable to repeat their assistance to the Namibian Chess Federation this year, but somehow these proud people found a way to bring a men’s team to Dresden. Bravo! They look forward to winning their first match point today against the Seychelles.
      Must prepare for the 4th round. Ignatious was displeased with the general punctuality of the Arbiters yesterday and seeks an improvement today. Later folks.

Sunday, 10pm
      They haven't kicked me out yet so here are a few more words about the 4th round. I had 2 matches on my own today, in the middle of the hall's width so there was nowhere to sit, no tables to manage the 30 pages that were generated. It was great to be finished. At today's arbiter meeting Ignatious told us to allow all threefolds before 30 moves, and use our discretion on other draws which are fewer than 30 moves. Small changes to our wrap up detail were also implemented. Now we must collect the player tags from the players as games finish, and return them to the Captain at the conclusion of the match - the idea being that this will make it easier to banish players from the playing area when their games are done. But now when the match is over they can get their tags back and return. We'll see how it works.

Closing time - gotta run.

Comment

Re: Bond's Eye on Dresden

Thanks for sharing experience.

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
        This gave me some much needed time to practice being tall.
        What does it mean? or How do you practice it?

Comment

Is there any Monroi presence at the Olympiad - either by players using the device, or a booth (or something similar) promoting/selling the product?

Comment

There is actually a way to practice it... it doesn't exactly add inches but I've seen some short people completely dominate a room to the point that you don't realise that you're head and shoulders taller than them.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Practicing being tall is a futile exercise during down time. I stole the line from actor Robert Mitchum, who compared it to the effectiveness of his colleagues who parcticed their acting.

Hugh - there is no Mon Roi presence at all. DGT boards are on every board, and they have a booth.

After my last post I stopped in at the Maritim Hotel to see what was happening. I ran into 2 new interesting people. Heinz Herzog is the founder of Swiss Manager - the most commonly used pairing program in Europe. It interfaces perfectly with FIDE. He also created the website Chess-results.com, which is also the go-to site for tournament results. This is his hobby - he works for a Bank. It may be worthwhile to consider a licencing arrangement with SWiss Manager if FIDE tournaments become more common in Canada.

The other fellow arrived with Berge Robertsen. He is fellow Norwegian Oystein Brekke. He has quite a Canadian connection. He spoke very fondly of the players he knew and/or followed -Yanofsky first and foremost. His friend Haakon Opsahl resided in Canada and was with Yanofssy in Buenos Aires 1939, when young Abe made such an impression on Alekhine. He also remembers Suttles, Spraggett, Day and Hebert.

Round 5 is over and I am sneaking some more access in the press centre -don't tell the other arbiters! Last night lingered a little and I am bushed. Tonite is the Bermuda Party - a long standing tradition which happens on the eve of the first rest day. I have preliminary FIDE meetings tomorrow so the rest day is lost for me.

This afternoon's arbiters meeting contained another surprise. Yesterday an arbiter allegedly behaved much too rudely and First VP Markropoulous, who witenessed the event, ordered a one day suspension. TOday Ingatious reminded everyone of the importance of courtesy when imposing discipline, and then invited the susopended arbiter to join the meeting. He was cheered (?) and Ignatious reassigned him to the top boards on the stage. He told us that no one has the righgt to suspend an arbiter other than him. George showed up during the round and they had words.

Happily, the lunch at IBIS was great and I had my own chair today for my 2 matches. Canada was playing Nigeria in the row beside me and I was most impressed with Natalia's brave endgame win. The Nigerian 4th board had a baby in tow. The poor thing behaves pretty well but within 90 minutes she had had enough. Women's chief arbiter Gary Becker came to the rescue and picked her up from her carriage and took her out of the hall. I am surprised the baby is allowed in the hall in the first place but it happens every day.

That's it for now - they are throwing me out!

Comment

Thanks for these reports, Hal.

In Calvia .... women's olympiad chief arbiter Enrique Zaragosa (Mexico), and his shadow, the guy from Cuba whose name I forget (but he looks a bit like Jorge Vega which caused me some confusion a few years ago. Something like Chut Serafin.)... anyway, they handled all of the game paperwork. When a game finished, you delivered all of the papers to Enrique's desk. I think it was only the match protocol that we had to carry around. Each arbiter had 2 or 3 matches, but not necessarily a table. In those days, it was 3 boards per match, not 4 like today.

... if camera people got too in the face of the players or lingered too long, we were authorized to ask for their passes. Of course, first you tried to reason with them or to shoo them away. Finally, I lost patience with one of the photographers, walked up to him, and unhanded him of his identification. Physically. This shocked the photographer, and a couple of arbiters who happened to be looking one. They never expected it. I regretted that I didn't have a cigarette with which I could have obliterated the bar code and made the pass useless. The only good use of a cigarette. Instead, I gave the identification to Enrique. WELL, nothing serious happened, but Enrique later told me that there was a power struggle between the organizers (who wanted this press photographer to have access) and Mr. Leong. The photographer was given back his ID for the next round, which I fully expected, but he was much better behaved!

... I found the noise level at the Bermuda party to be almost toxic. It was of course salutory to get a refresher course in Vogon Poetry Dancing by watching Jonathan Speelman. But. After feeling for a couple of hours like a square peg in a round hole, I had a dance with Monika Grabics. Figuring that that was as good as it could get (and it certainly was), I went home long before most of the others. Canadians, first to arrive and last to leave a party, but not always.

You actually are press if you get Larry to email you a letter. Even in Calvia the bureaucracy of press room admittance was the biggest headache. Let me guess, to legitimately get into the press room at Dresden, you'd have had to submit your credentials how many years in advance?

Comment

The Bermuda party is a great tradition and great fun. Even if you aren't a party animal, you can have a few drinks and just watch the craziness unfold. But to be forced to leave early because of some stupid meeting the next morning, that is cruel !

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                    Practicing being tall is a futile exercise during down time. I stole the line from actor Robert Mitchum, who compared it to the effectiveness of his colleagues who parcticed their acting.

Hugh - there is no Mon Roi presence at all. DGT boards are on every board, and they have a booth.

After my last post I stopped in at the Maritim Hotel to see what was happening. I ran into 2 new interesting people. Heinz Herzog is the founder of Swiss Manager - the most commonly used pairing program in Europe. It interfaces perfectly with FIDE. He also created the website Chess-results.com, which is also the go-to site for tournament results. This is his hobby - he works for a Bank. It may be worthwhile to consider a licencing arrangement with SWiss Manager if FIDE tournaments become more common in Canada.

The other fellow arrived with Berge Robertsen. He is fellow Norwegian Oystein Brekke. He has quite a Canadian connection. He spoke very fondly of the players he knew and/or followed -Yanofsky first and foremost. His friend Haakon Opsahl resided in Canada and was with Yanofssy in Buenos Aires 1939, when young Abe made such an impression on Alekhine. He also remembers Suttles, Spraggett, Day and Hebert.

Round 5 is over and I am sneaking some more access in the press centre -don't tell the other arbiters! Last night lingered a little and I am bushed. Tonite is the Bermuda Party - a long standing tradition which happens on the eve of the first rest day. I have preliminary FIDE meetings tomorrow so the rest day is lost for me.

This afternoon's arbiters meeting contained another surprise. Yesterday an arbiter allegedly behaved much too rudely and First VP Markropoulous, who witenessed the event, ordered a one day suspension. TOday Ingatious reminded everyone of the importance of courtesy when imposing discipline, and then invited the susopended arbiter to join the meeting. He was cheered (?) and Ignatious reassigned him to the top boards on the stage. He told us that no one has the righgt to suspend an arbiter other than him. George showed up during the round and they had words.

Happily, the lunch at IBIS was great and I had my own chair today for my 2 matches. Canada was playing Nigeria in the row beside me and I was most impressed with Natalia's brave endgame win. The Nigerian 4th board had a baby in tow. The poor thing behaves pretty well but within 90 minutes she had had enough. Women's chief arbiter Gary Becker came to the rescue and picked her up from her carriage and took her out of the hall. I am surprised the baby is allowed in the hall in the first place but it happens every day.

That's it for now - they are throwing me out!
                    These are fantastic reports Hal, please keep up the good work.

Alex Toolsie
                    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
                    http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Great reports from Hal, indeed. I actually ran into him last night at the Bermuda Party right before he was leaving. Based on what I saw before leaving with the Canadian team at 3 AM, there was nothing particularly special to note. However, on another note, I would like to point out that Hal might be wrong about the 3 PM rule. As an example, board 4 for the Nigeria women's team was a few minutes late to the game and allowed to play against Irina despite this infraction. Perhaps this was just an exception, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Comment

"... I found the noise level at the Bermuda party to be almost toxic."

Amen to that. I could never stand more than 15 minutes.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                          I would like to point out that Hal might be wrong about the 3 PM rule. As an example, board 4 for the Nigeria women's team was a few minutes late to the game and allowed to play against Irina despite this infraction. Perhaps this was just an exception, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
                          Is the lady who was late the one that I read had the baby with her? Most people wouldn't enforce such a rule for a few minutes under such circumstances.

Also, is the forfeit for being late something which has to be claimed? When I was directing CC the players had to claim a forfeit on time before it could be awarded.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Is the forfeit for being late something which has to be claimed? When I was directing CC the players had to claim a forfeit on time before it could be awarded.
                            From the way it was described, it is like FIDE rules in general, it is enforceable when the arbiter notices it. Which is at 15.01 because they're all keyed on it. Other jurisdictions (like USCF or CFC) can have different dispensations.

I guess an extreme example of the way rules are enforced is at Montreal 1979, Tournament of the Stars, Spassky had a good position against Portisch but took too long on the time control move and his flag fell. Portisch was mortified to win such a game, and immediately offered Spassky a draw. But Gligoric, who was the arbiter, put an end to that, saying that Spassky's flag had fallen and that ended the game.

And in a way that's like etl's in CC. You (as CC arbiter) 'd never know there was an etl unless a player claimed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                              And in a way that's like etl's in CC. You (as CC arbiter) 'd never know there was an etl unless a player claimed it.
                              In the postal, which was what I directed, that is true.

I think the server works a bit different. Taking too many days but not over stepping the total time generates an email to the players and the TD. The player still has to claim it. Exceeding the total time, I think, stops the game and generates emails to the TD and players. I've never directed on the server so don't know for sure.

I used to like to issue warnings, when possible, instead of forfeiting games. The problem with taking away a game is it often costs a member. I've played in events where the TD has forfeited one game from a player and the player has resigned all the other games. It kind of ruins the event. Still, a blatant disregard for the rules can't be overlooked. Sometimes when you give an inch they want a mile.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X