Chess Informant 111 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Informant 111 question

The standard Informant two-tone rook logo is strangely absent from the spine of my copy of Informant 111. To add to the mystery, in the back of Informant 112 there is a photo showing Informant 111 with the rook logo in place.

May I ask readers who own Informant 111 to have a look at the spine and post a reply indicating whether the rook logo is there?

When a non-standard coin such as the 1936 dot dime is accidentally minted, it becomes very valuable. I'm hoping for a similar payday with Informant 111.

Re: Chess Informant 111 question

Being an owner of all 113 Informants (maybe #114 is out now?), yes - my #111 has no Rook logo. My #112 has an ad for Chesscafe.com on the inside front cover showing the picture of #111 with the Rook logo.

Maybe we both have collector's items?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
      When a non-standard coin such as the 1936 dot dime is accidentally minted, it becomes very valuable. I'm hoping for a similar payday with Informant 111.
      I remember telling a collector that I had the US airmail stamp that in its most famous and valuable incarnation, has the airplane flying upside-down. His eyes lit up, until I explained again that I had the regular stamp, not the invert error variant. After that, he calmed down considerably.

Some of those Informant spine rooks are "negative space" versions, which I would hazard to be near impossible to have disappeared. But most are "positive space" versions in one of the same colours (usually black) as the rest of the cover. You might look to see if something else (in the same colour) is also missing from the cover.

A printer's error alone does not make something valuable, unfortunately. The most common error we used to encounter in Chess Informants was the missing of an entire plate of pages. The explanation is of the simplest kind. When picking up the next oversized sheet to print, the press takes in two sheets instead of the desired one sheet, so one of them is not printed. So not one page, but 8 or 16 Informant pages are blank, and not consecutive ones. That kind of error simply makes the book worth less. Or worthless, depending on your point of view.

Comment

I once found a baseball card bookmark in a used chess book that I acquired. The book came from a collection of a player who had passed away.

The baseball card was for Ken Griffey, Jr. "Topps All-Star Rookie" it said. I was overcome with festive thoughts of fabulous wealth.

Alas, the actual rookie card of Ken Griffey, Jr. sold for no more than $1,000.00 at a maximum. It's worth much less now. And my card, which identified the award that Griffey received at the end of the season, was, of course, his sophomore card. How could they know at the start of his rookie season that he'd win the award?

Anyway, the card is still a bookmark. It's just only worth around 5 bucks. Maybe.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
        X