• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milton Summer Active 2012

Thats 30 with a new #1. :D

Comment

Bumping.
      Registration list updated, now 35 players.

Comment

Hi Bob, can we play under elite section ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
          Hi Bob, can we play under elite section ?
          That would be a very bad idea. With only 7 players in the elite section we may need to combine the Eilte and U1800 sections anyway. We will make that decision in the morning after everyone is registered.

Comment

sounds good....so that we have a chance to play with elite players ....: )

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
              sounds good....so that we have a chance to play with elite players ....: )
              It probably wouldn't be fun (or fair) for them though, unless they have some kind of phantom point system going. A regular swiss would see a player rated in the mid 2500s potentially playing a 1400. Not much of a competition there.

While I agree that it's fun to play up, you need to be somewhat close to your opposition skill level for it to be fun for both parties.

Comment

It's 11pm now and I just got more entries. Around 40 pre reg I think. Im going to bed now. Hope to see you all tomorrow at the tourney. Play well!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
                  It's 11pm now and I just got more entries. Around 40 pre reg I think. Im going to bed now. Hope to see you all tomorrow at the tourney. Play well!
                  Hi all its 7:10 am and what a great morning. There is still time if you are thinking about playing in the Milton Summer Active. The first round starts at 11. Registration is from 10am. I will be checking emails until 9am. To all those who are playing in the Milton Active Summer Open, thank you for participating in what I hope to be an annual event ;), play well and have fun with the game of chess!

Comment

OH yeah the email to contact me is miltonchess@hotmail.com

Comment

Thank you for a fun tournament. Congratulations to John Erickson as well who won the U1800 title.

For anyone who may have been playing in the U1800 or who is otherwise interested, I did write up a brief blog analyzing the games I played against Ken Huang (930), John Erickson (1769), Bobby (1372), Peter Odziemkowski (1410), and Atharva Karandikar (1060). Deep Rybka 4 analysis was used as well as some commentary. Can find it here: http://blog.chess.com/Pyke/milton-summer-active-2012

Comment

I am delighted to report 40 players, and therefore there was no need to combine sections. The winners were:

Elite
                        1st – Razvan Preotu 4 pts - $100
                        2nd/3rd – Doug Bailey & Erwin Casareno 3.5 pts - $50 each

U1800 section
                        A three way tie with 4 pts, trophies were decided on tiebreak: performance of opposition.
                        John Erickson $35 + 1st place trophy
                        David Bendl $35 + 2nd place trophy
                        Tony Bohan Bao $35 + 3rd place trophy

Recreational section
                        Andrei Korcsak 5 pts - 1st place trophy
                        Anirudh Sodhi 4 pts – 2nd place trophy
                        Naren Sothinathan 3 pts – 3rd place trophy (on tiebreak)

There was a 6 way tie for 3rd. The other 5 with 3 pts were Shesan Balachandran, Elijah Lopez, Vaanie Kathirkamar, Henushan Balachandran, and Janani Kathirkamar.

It was good to see 14 kids from the Mississauga Junior Chess Club.

Special thanks to Garvin who served as floater in the elite section! With two late entries at lunchtime (1 elite and 1 recreational), our versatile floater and good sport moved to the recreational section. His opponents nevertheless received a full point.

Thanks to Gord for his sparkling performance as TD, and Paul for treating the organizers to Tim’s coffee. Also thanks to everyone who helped clean up and get us out by our 5pm deadline. Thank you everyone for participating.

Comment

Working...
                        X