Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hansen - Wu brilliancy

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
    Cool game? Brilliancy? What are you guys smoking. It is just a clean and easy win after Howard blunders on move 5-6.
    CANCEL THE TRADE! We'll keep Hansen! :)

Comment

This is a one sided smash. Howard first allows b4 and then trades into a worse pawn structure. To make matters worse, he then gives up his dark squared bee for...nothing?!

Comment

Hi, Hikaru. I think they were smoking salmon---at least the people who commented in my forum were doing so explicitly here. The whole post is the kind of cookout I do for a living. :)

In your game with Lenderman from the US Championship, do you recall if you were both down to a few minutes by Move 50? My model gives a wacky low IPR to moves 50--121 of that game, enough to take your 2822 for moves 9--49 and the other 8 games down to 2649 overall. It would really help me to know! Thanks, ---Ken R.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
          Cool game? Brilliancy? What are you guys smoking. It is just a clean and easy win after Howard blunders on move 5-6.
          I have to agree. White's last move wasn't even his best. 29.Bg5 secures mate in 6, while as pretty as 29.Rh4 is, it allows Black to play on longer after 29...gxh4.
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            I have to agree. White's last move wasn't even his best. 29.Bg5 secures mate in 6, while as pretty as 29.Rh4 is, it allows Black to play on longer after 29...gxh4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
              [Event "2012 Canadian Open Chess Championship"]
              [Site "Victoria"]
              [Date "2012.07.09"]
              [Round "4"]
              [White "Hansen, Eric"]
              [Black "Wu, Howard"]
              [Result "1-0"]
              [WhiteELO "2447"]
              [WhiteTitle "IM"]
              [BlackELO "2136"]
              [BlackTitle "NM"]
              [Source "MonRoi"]

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 c5 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.a3 O-O 6.b4 cxb4 7.axb4 d6 8.Rb1 Qc7 9.d3 Be6 10.e4 Nc6 11.Nge2 Ng4 12.O-O Nd4 13.Nxd4 Bxd4 14.Nb5 Qb6 15.Nxd4 Qxd4 16.Bb2 Qb6 17.Qd2 Ne5 18.Kh1 f6 19.f4 Nc6 20.b5 Nb8 21.f5 Bf7 22.fxg6 hxg6 23.Qh6 Nd7 24.Bh3 Ne5 25.Rf4 Qe3 26.Rbf1 Nxd3 27.Bc1 Nxc1 28.Be6 g5 29.Rh4 1-0
              I was observing and found the end impressive, alright. Perhaps the fact that the boring old computer (Rybka 4.1) gives 25. Bc3 +- as stronger than Rf4, and then 26. Bd4! as a quick win after Qe3?, while assigning equality after the actual 26. Rcf1 for quite a long time before changing it's mind to +1 might mar it slightly.

I must admit that I was busy analyzing 26 Bc1 on the screen, ignoring 26. ... Qe1+ which cedes the advantage to black. 26. Bd4! never even occurred to me, but the computer makes it seem rather crushing.

Howard had a good tournament and finished at the head of the local crew, if I read the table correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                Yeah, sure. Even I with my lowly and out of date 2056 CFC rating wouldn't think of playing on in that position, while I might easily miss a mate in 6 and play on longer.

Comment

Working...
                X