Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Team - Rd. 5 - In Progress

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
    I don't see anyone whining on here Gary. Age is only a factor in that it may indicate strong potential for stronger results in the future. You have to build new contendors they don't just happen.
    I certainly like seeing the teams win no matter the strength of the opposition, but also understand the difference in playing strength. When we used to play teams around the city some decades ago the times we won 4-0 we would joke if anyone had checked to see if the other team had a pulse.

I enjoy the women's games. Only a couple of hours ago I wrote to a friend that possibly Mrs. Barron might win a board prize if she can keep up her sparkling performance. The person to whom I mentioned it is a mutual friend of Jonathan and myself so I wouldn't be telling you something that didn't happen.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I think board order is just part of the strategy. However there is a psychological danger if the players themselves are not keen on it. Morozevich particularly might feel odd as designated rabbit basher on the stacked Russian team. The wild player low and the drawmeister (Grischuk) high gives flexible options. Yemen's team is almost in reverse board order by rating, very experimental but they aren't risking much.

At my first Olympiad, Lugano 1968 the Phillippines had stacked with their best player Naranja on four and the weakest on one. It worked as they beat England 2.5-1.5 (with Naranja winning) in the key preliminary group. They qualified to the top-14 final (where of course they were 14th just behind unstacked us :-)

In the Swiss system with game points stacking had less purpose but some teams did play a drawish player higher than rating would have suggested.
      Now with match point scoring I would expect stacked teams to outperform rating order teams but we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
        Now with match point scoring I would expect stacked teams to outperform rating order teams but we shall see.
        Hi Lawrence,

That was one of my first thoughts when match point scoring came up.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
        X