Paleochora Crete FIDE tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleochora Crete FIDE tournament

This place is beautiful. 2 beaches, one sandy and 1km long. Paleochora is on the south coast of western Crete. It was a fairly inexpensive ferry ride from Athens to Chania and then a 2 hour bus ride through the gorgeous hills of Crete to Paleochora. This is the kind of place you could easily bring the family to and they wouldn't even mind you being away for a few hours in the evening to play chess. I'm staying in a hotel for 45 euros per night but there are lots of rooms to rent all over, some may not have air conditioning though. There is also a luxury hotel at twice the rate I'm paying.

There are already over 216 playes pre-registered http://www.chaniachess.gr/Internatio.../index_en.html

I'm #125 on the list. My goal is to get 5/9 if I can. There about 55 titled players.

Re: Paleochora Crete FIDE tournament

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    This place is beautiful. 2 beaches, one sandy and 1km long. Paleochora is on the south coast of western Crete. It was a fairly inexpensive ferry ride from Athens to Chania and then a 2 hour bus ride through the gorgeous hills of Crete to Paleochora. This is the kind of place you could easily bring the family to and they wouldn't even mind you being away for a few hours in the evening to play chess. I'm staying in a hotel for 45 euros per night but there are lots of rooms to rent all over, some may not have air conditioning though. There is also a luxury hotel at twice the rate I'm paying.

There are already over 216 playes pre-registered http://www.chaniachess.gr/Internatio.../index_en.html

I'm #125 on the list. My goal is to get 5/9 if I can. There about 55 titled players.
    Hi Zeljko,

Thanks for posting...keep us updated with interesting stories along the way if you can :).

Good Luck!

Larry

Comment

Hi,

The trip to the Elafonisi Beach / Peninsula is totally worth it. The organizers may have a bus as they did in prev years.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        Hi,

The trip to the Elafonisi Beach / Peninsula is totally worth it. The organizers may have a bus as they did in prev years.

Alex F.
        Great thanks I'll check on that. If the organizers don't there are a couple of agencies here running day trips to various locations including an island near here and also dolphin watching.

One thing I have noticed is that backgammon is quite popular here.

Comment

Okay not so funny story. They are using a straight pairing system so I was paired against a GM on board 9 in this first round. Board 9 is the last board on the main stage. I had bought a 2L bottle of Coke Light, opened it and put in on the table. Somehow it got knocked off the table, went flying like a coke torpedo and ended up under a seat of a player in the first table below the stage. Fortunately this was about 10 mins before the start of the round, no one had their clothes soaked miracuously although it emptied all its contents on the main stage and soaked a board down below. The organizers found a mop and made a quick recovery, all was well before the start of the round and the announcements.

Alex, they are going to take us to Elafonisi beach again, I'll be sure to go. Also one of your previous opponents remembers you from last time :) He says he won.

They don't have our name tags but they do have all the flags of all the player countries, including Canada, hanging from above in the playing hall. Skittles are set up outside. The power went off for like 5 seconds about 1/2 hour in. The mayor, Chania Chess Academy organizer and other organizers briefly addressed us before the start of the round; nice folks. There are free bottles of water for all and the playing hall is quite decorative. I will try to take some pictures soon.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 16th July, 2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Sounds very nice. I only hear good things about these events. I keep emailing the organizers too late in the year to get the titled player conditions. I will be in Athens in a couple weeks and may decide to play a tournament on the Greek tour if I am not too tired.

Comment

Oh and Larry they have the neatest vinyl boards. They have the Greek letters beside the Roman ones. Would be neat if you could get something like that in somehow. I asked the organizers if I could buy one but they said they are just on loan from the Greek national federation.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                Sounds very nice. I only hear good things about these events. I keep emailing the organizers too late in the year to get the titled player conditions. I will be in Athens in a couple weeks and may decide to play a tournament on the Greek tour if I am not too tired.
                Let me know if you want any tips on where to stay or how to get to the islands.

I stayed at Athens Backpackers hostel for 28 euro per night through hostelworld.com . Right by Acropolis. Took a ferry from the port to Crete on Anek Lines but they also have Blue Star Ferries and Superfast. I got a leather airplane type club seat although it is cheaper to just get a regular lounge chair, but also more uncomfortable. Also in the club seat area they don't mind if you spread out a blanket and just sleep on the floor. You can get a cabin if you like as well. You can also leave your passport etc. in a sealed envelope with the purser. I would recommend this as one tourist apparently was robbed of his wallet and passport. It would not cost much for thieves to buy a ticket to put themselves on board to work the sleeping crowds.

I wouldn't site see in Athens for more than 2 or 3 days tops. Besides the Acropolis and the ancient Agora there is not all that much to see there, unless you want to spend a lot of time at museums or the national park by the parliament buildings. The islands are where it is at in Greece. Even then if I wasn't playing in the tournament I would be taking day trips out from here to see the sites. Lots of nature walks, island hopping on offer. You can make day or overnight trips to close islands to Athens like Aigina, which is what made the stay in Athens much better for me. That and meeting people in the hostel.
                Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 16th July, 2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Neat news. The organizers have decided they will just give me a Greek letter vinyl chess board on the last day of the tournament. And tomorrow we go to the island beach, couldn't go before as high winds closed the beach here in Paleochora for one day and also continued to make shipping unsafe for the size of boat we are going on.

Comment

Oh and I was feeling a bit bad about drawing with a 1400 rated kid the other day. But not now after he beat an 1800 and 1900 player the following two rounds after drawing me. Go kid go.

http://chess-results.com/tnr76627.as...&css=2&snr=163

Comment

Working...
                    X