Fabulous game by Kramnik!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabulous game by Kramnik!!

Many of you have probably seen the exceptional game by GM Vladimir Kramnik, played a few days ago in Germany. But I am posting it here anyway; it is just that good! It's a King's Indian win by Black, and Kramnik has been largely responsible for the virtual disappearance of the King's Indian at the top level, since he scored so well against it as White! His opponent must have been really surprised!

This game echoes several of GM David Bronstein's pioneering 1940s games in this defence, as well as GM Bobby Fischer's two amazing wins in the Grunfeld against the Byrne brothers, from 1956 (Donald) and 1963 (Robert). As a sometime King's Indian player myself, I am delighted to see a top player take it on again. :)

GM Gustafsson -- GM Kramnik
    Sparkassen 2012
    King's Indian Defence, Classical, E94
    [Light notes by Frank Dixon]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.Be3
    [Popularized by GM Gligoric from the 1960s, and a line which has caused problems for Black in recent times.]
    7...c6 8.0-0 exd4
    [Somewhat surprising to see Kramnik open the centre; the main line is probably 8...Ng4.]
    9.Nxd4
    [Many feel 9.Bxd4 causes Black more problems; likely we will see that move played more often now!]
    9...Re8 10.f3
    [Creates counterplay potential for Black due to the unguarded state of the B/e3, and this forms the basis of much of the subsequent action.]
    10...d5 11.cxd5 Nxd5 12.Nxd5 cxd5 13.Rc1 a5!?
    [Terrific idea, reminiscent of Bronstein, who in the mid-1940s was one of the first players to advance the a-pawn early in the game in the King's Indian. This pawn is destined to have a great career.]
    14.Qb3 a4! 15.Qxd5 Qxd5 16.exd5 a3! 17.b3 Nc6!!
    [Wonderful; noow things really start getting interesting; strong pressure on e3 will lead to an eventual breakthrough.] :)
    18.Nc2 Rxe3! 19.Nxe3 Nb4!
    [Not sure if any defence can be found for White from this point on. The a2-pawn is lost and Black's a-pawn develops a 'lust to expand'.]
    20.Rc4 Nxa2 21.Ra4 Rxa4 22.bxa4 Bd4! 23.Kf2 Nb4 24.Rc1 a2! 25.Rxc8+ Kg7[White is up a rook, but there is no salvation.]
    26.Rc1 Nxd5 27.Rd1 Nxe3
    [28.Rxd4 a1Q 29.Kxe3 Qg1+ is over.]
    0-1.
    [Best game I have seen this year!] :)

Re: Fabulous game by Kramnik!!

I saw it last night... Nice game indeed!

Can anyone explain why 10.Bf3 isn't book? It helps protect d5, and it keeps the B/e3 protected as well. I can't see any reason why it's not played... any ideas?
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

in before Nakamura "whats the big deal, white played a line from the 1960s and was smoothly beaten" :D

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
        in before Nakamura "whats the big deal, white played a line from the 1960s and was smoothly beaten" :D
        I can't figure out what your partial sentence means...
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
          I can't figure out what your partial sentence means...
          He's predicting Nakamura to jump in and steal some credit from the great play by criticizing the choices of the one who lost the game instead of congratulating the winner. At least that's what he was quick to do in the Hansen - Wu game.

Comment

Wondering if anyone is going to look at 10.Bf3 as an alternative to 10.f3...

Comment

I think the idea is

10.Bf3 Nbd7 intending Ne5 and if the Bf3 retreats, Neg4

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                He's predicting Nakamura to jump in and steal some credit from the great play by criticizing the choices of the one who lost the game instead of congratulating the winner. At least that's what he was quick to do in the Hansen - Wu game.
                When a superstar from the world's top 10 expresses
                an expert opinion, he's......."stealing credit"???????

Gimme a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                  When a superstar from the world's top 10 expresses
                  an expert opinion, he's......."stealing credit"???????

Gimme a break!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X