Jacqueline Piatigorsky passed away at age 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacqueline Piatigorsky passed away at age 100

Jacqueline Piatigorsky passed away last Tuesday, July 17 at age 100. Can anyone post some links to articles on her fascinating life?

Re: Jacqueline Piatigorsky passed away at age 100

I don't have links for you, Hans, but Mrs. Piatigorsky's name reminded me of one of my favourite chess books: 'Second Piatigorsky Cup' published by The Ward Ritchie Press in Los Angeles in 1968. I found that book in 1973, in a secondhand book store in Vancouver, and purchased it for $6.00 (which seemed like an outrageous price at the time). Each of the games was lightly annotated by one or both of the players. Now seven of the ten grandmaster participants, along with tournament director Kashdan and both of the Piatigorskys, have died and passed into history. Jan Donner wore the same shirt during all of the first seventeen rounds of play (superstitious?) but purchased a new shirt for the final round. Gregor Piatigorsky, according to his own account, found Donner's discarded shirt under a table in the hotel hallway and kept it "...as a souvenir of a witty and unforgettable man." I wonder what became of that shirt?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Here is the link to the obituary on the FIDE site http://www.fide.com/component/conten...-obituary.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Jacqueline Piatigorsky passed away last Tuesday, July 17 at age 100. Can anyone post some links to articles on her fascinating life?
        RIP, Jacqueline Piatigorsky. I recall meeting Mrs. Piatigorsky when she and Los Angeles chess impresario Lena Grumette played in a tournament in Victoria, British Columbia in, hmmm, the early 1970s. She seemed very nice, old school. Maybe she came North to avail our Canadian reticence, no brash questions about Bobby or Boris or Sammy. I believe that we treated her with suitable reverence.

My other connection was two Correspondence games against (future) CC World Champion Mikhail Umansky who, because he lived in Piatigorsk, was a Piatigorsky !

Comment

I once played a tournament game against Mrs Piatigorsky. Confession time: I did not take her seriously, played for a cheap attack, hit a wall, and was crushed in the counterattack. The game score has mysteriously disappeared. It's just as well.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your anecdotes and links. Pete, did you read Donner's book "The King"?

Comment

Working...
            X