Olympiad Round 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympiad Round 6

Already an achievement by Irina. It looked certain that at least one of White's rooks on open files would land on the 7th rank, but it's Entry Denied for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Re: WMD's

You beat me to the punch! I was going to say Iraq employed their weapons of mass destruction today. First 2 boards... ouch! I know Saddam was hung, and his 2 sons were wasted in a hail of bullets, but what about these 2 Husseins? Husseins that got away

Comment

Indeed, it appears Nikolay has excellent compensation for the 2 pawns, read horrendous bishop against powerful knight, and a Q+N duo is the most deadly in chess to boot.

That pawn chain fixed on a4-b5-c4-d5 being restrained by the black pawns on b6-d6 is really instructive. Although if the Q's come off you gotta watch out for the sacrificial pawn advance a5 or c5 to create a passed pawn.

Nope.. a4 pawn bit the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          Hazel just sacked a Bishop on h6. I can't see any chances for her at all, I guess she is just hoping for a mega-blunder from her opponent.
          Pascal and Hazel both got overambitious perhaps simply miscalculating and seeing a win that wasn't there. Hazel was in good shape before the sac. I admire their courage but today it wasn't the right move. Hazel's team is having a good day hopefully they are as supportive of her effort as we are.
          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 19th November, 2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            I'm regret that Canada today discovered Husseins' WMDs.
            I had thought about the politics of this match.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Irina's position is approximately what Gustafsson managed to draw against Moroz in the previous round. At the time I thought the side with the extra pawn should have won, but now I hope that I'm wrong!

Tremendously exciting game that Nikolay is trying to win for the team, throwing caution to the winds!

Comment

Irina's position is approximately what Gustafsson managed to draw against Moroz in the previous round. At the time I thought the side with the extra pawn should have won, but now I hope that I'm wrong!

Tremendously exciting game that Nikolay is trying to win for the team, throwing caution to the winds!
                I also thought Irina should be able to draw the game but wonder now.

Not sure I see much more than a draw for Nikolay at this point. Whites to make move 88 and it looks interesting. I see something but haven't calculated to see if it works.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Nikolay's opponent could have claimed a 3-fold rep draw on move 98. Maybe that's not an important detail...

Irina drew, so Canada beat Mexico, prime inter NAFTA pares.

Comment

Nikolay's opponent could have claimed a 3-fold rep draw on move 98. Maybe that's not an important detail...

Irina drew, so Canada beat Mexico, prime inter NAFTA pares.
                    Draw now so I guess the national team has been upset.

Irina sure hung in there tough knowing she needed to at least draw to win the match.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks, Nikolay, for risking so much for the team. What an exciting finish. The game was a draw, so Canada lost the match to Iraq, but not for lack of effort and inventiveness on Nikolay's part.

The reason that Nikolay couldn't win the P ending was a timely c4-c5 by White, creating a passed d-pawn. So Nikolay couldn't afford to trade his h6 pawn for the g4 pawn because at the moment Black's K is on h5, White advances c5 and Black's K is outside the square of the d-pawn. Also if the h4-pawn is suicided, White gets in at h6 and makes something of the g4-pawn before Black can reap any benefits from winning White's Q-side pawns. And Black can never play Ke5-f4 because of the same c4-c5 motif.

Comment

Thanks, Nikolay, for risking so much for the team. What an exciting finish. The game was a draw, so Canada lost the match to Iraq, but not for lack of effort and inventiveness on Nikolay's part.

The reason that Nikolay couldn't win the P ending was a timely c4-c5 by White, creating a passed d-pawn. So Nikolay couldn't afford to trade his h6 pawn for the g4 pawn because at the moment Black's K is on h5, White advances c5 and Black's K is outside the square of the d-pawn. Also if the h4-pawn is suicided, White gets in at h6 and makes something of the g4-pawn before Black can reap any benefits from winning White's Q-side pawns. And Black can never play Ke5-f4 because of the same c4-c5 motif.
                        I never thought in my lifetime I would say the words Canada lost to Iraq in chess.

Comment

Well, when next you're there you can maybe ask someone. After he beat Fischer in 1959 he achieved a kind of iconic status in Chile which was probably what enabled him to leave Chile without contusions. His wife was not so fortunate; probably the junta's way of sending him a message. But when they went back I think that was all in the past. The old dogs should know of him. And if you should meet please give him my regards.

Comment

Working...
                          X