Quebec Open - all 492 available gems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Open - all 492 available gems

Includes all games from the Invitational, as well as many from the lower sections. Gaps in the lower sections will gradually be filled in.

I will make one more final post in the next few days - there are 50-100 more games still to enter.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/cbv/20102019/2012_coq.cbv
    http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/cbv/20102019/2012_coq.pgn

Re: Quebec Open - all 492 available gems

I would like to take this moment to thank Hugh for everything he has done for Canadian Chess.

The speed in which him and his team make the games available is truly remarkable and truly appreciated for all chess fans in Canada. Even Kevin Spraggett himself on his most recent blog post has praised Hugh.

Again, Hugh and his team deserve a big applause. Their work is not unappreciated, and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved.

Norm

Comment

Norm , you actually beat me to it .

Hugh , thank you for everything . You make it look so easy to post results and announce chess events , that sometimes people might tend to take it for granted . So here's a token of my appreciation to everything you do , champ .

See you around .

Comment

A grand +1, but I gotta go to bed before posting my numbers. Would help if GM Spraggett could count to 7.5 :D . Pertinent to the thread started by Bindi Cheng, I have included Jean Hébert and Haizhou Xu alongside those in the Premier, using the 14 so-far-available games between them.

Comment

And here are my Single-PV "quick" results for the tournament, including Hébert and Xu at the bottom.

This is using the raw un-scaled error, i.e. counting an error-judged-by-Rybka as the same whether your position is ahead, behind, or equal. It shows differences more clearly than my "official" work which uses scaled-error per move which gives all lower values. In the table one can clearly see the grandmasters had lower error. Wesley So not only had the lowest error but also "induced" high error by his opponents, whereas Perez Garcia was almost as accurate but faced opposition that also made few missteps. Note also that Xu played with higher error typical of 2200-level, and I predict that my full Multi-PV run will show an IPR around 2200. One might surmise he took advantage of opportunities that came his way.

Well the quick-run is not very scientific; the full run will take about 10 days on the 138 Invitational games plus 14-odd by Xu and Hébert.
          Last edited by Kenneth Regan; Monday, 30th July, 2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: Added note on Xu

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Regan View Post
            And here are my Single-PV "quick" results for the tournament, including Hébert and Xu at the bottom.

This is using the raw un-scaled error, i.e. counting an error-judged-by-Rybka as the same whether your position is ahead, behind, or equal. It shows differences more clearly than my "official" work which uses scaled-error per move which gives all lower values. In the table one can clearly see the grandmasters had lower error. Wesley So not only had the lowest error but also "induced" high error by his opponents, whereas Perez Garcia was almost as accurate but faced opposition that also made few missteps. Note also that Xu played with higher error typical of 2200-level, and I predict that my full Multi-PV run will show an IPR around 2200. One might surmise he took advantage of opportunities that came his way.

Well the quick-run is not very scientific; the full run will take about 10 days on the 138 Invitational games plus 14-odd by Xu and Hébert.
            Nice information. I am having trouble understanding what each header corresponds to (Ie:Matches/Turns = Pctg).

Would you mind giving me a quick 401.

Norm

Comment

To take some players off the top:

Player Name Matches/Turns = Pctg., AD Opponents' figures
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Arencibia, Walt: 199/ 369 = 53.90%, 0.1303 202/ 369 = 54.70%, 0.1283
              Berube, Antoine: 199/ 368 = 54.10%, 0.1050 208/ 370 = 56.20%, 0.0999
              Bojkov, Dejan :: 145/ 279 = 52.00%, 0.1158 157/ 277 = 56.70%, 0.1154
              Bruzon Batista,: 161/ 285 = 56.50%, 0.0685 142/ 284 = 50.00%, 0.1096

This means that Bruzon Batista played 285 moves in positions where neither side was more than 3 pawns ahead, positions not part of a repetition, and not moves 1--8 which I skip. Of them he played Rybka 3's first-choice move (in the usual Single-PV game-playing mode, at reported depth 13 which for Rybka versions is "really" depth 16 or 17) in 161 cases, giving him a "move-match rate" of 56.5%. In the other 124 cases where Rybka preferred a different move, Rybka judged a cumulative shortfall of 285*0.0685 = about 19-and-half-Pawns, of course working out to 0.0685 per move. His opponents played 1 fewer move (resigning does not count as a move) and had both a lower move-match% and higher error per move---well not all of them were GMs!

This is similar to how Matej Guid and Ivan Bratko evaluated world champions, except they used Crafty only to depth 12 and Rybka 3 only to reported depth 10. Both are tangibly weaker; my doing depth 13 involves about (2.3)^{13 - 10} ~= 12 times as much computation per move---and I've done many millions more moves, round-the-clock for 3 years on a single ordinary quad-core 2006-vintage home PC. The link I gave to their work is last Nov. 11 on ChessBase.com, and that has links to their 2006 article which has more-basic explanation of all this. My "full model" is more intensive (50-PV mode typically needs 15 minutes on one core for early-middlegame moves rather than 15-20 seconds in Single-PV) and more complicated.

Comment

Working...
              X