Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Congratulations to Wang Hao for winning 2012 Biel International, ahead of Magnus The Magnificent!!! :D

For those who don't believe this, check out chessbase final round report regarding this event:
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8378 :)

Re: Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
    Congratulations to Wang Hao for winning 2012 Biel International, ahead of Magnus The Magnificent!!! :D

For those who don't believe this, check out chessbase final round report regarding this event:
    Check GM Wang profile on the fide website which shows GM Wang is still in Chess Federation of China.

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8602883

Comment

I was going to make that joke too Mikhail! You beat me to it! :)

Comment

This is the first super-GM tournament I remember where the results differ if you used 3 point or traditional scoring. Carlsen was clear first by the traditional methods (7.0/10, vs 6.5/10 for Wang Hao), but lost 19-18 on 3 point scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post
          This is the first super-GM tournament I remember where the results differ if you used 3 point or traditional scoring.
          That's true. Maybe Carlsen will decide to play less positionally now and more attacking so he scores more wins :)

Play more like Kasparov and less like Karpov :)

Comment

Wang Hao could well be from Canada! Ever been to Richmond BC? There're millions of Chinese there! Even in Toronto, go to Spadina & Dundas at noon on a Saturday there's another million there!
            So we may well have a super GM in our midst. Hasn't played in the Saturday Rapid yet, though. :)

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
              Check GM Wang profile on the fide website which shows GM Wang is still in Chess Federation of China.

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8602883
              I guess some people don't understand any kind of hummor! Some only see things as black and white only. :)
              Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Thursday, 2nd August, 2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                I was going to make that joke too Mikhail! You beat me to it! :)
                Sorry Andy, I could not resist this one!!!

Comment

I guess some people don't understand any kind of hummor! Some only see things as black and white only. :)
                  Oops, that's why I am wondering why you are in the women team

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
                    Oops, that's why I am wondering why you are in the women team
                    My suggestion, don't wonder too much. This is just a suggestion, so don't take it personally.

I am really puzzled by your last post and I don't try wasting my time trying too figure out what you really trying to say. Maybe it's hummor only understand. :(

Comment

Re : Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Congratulations to Wang Hao for winning 2012 Biel International, ahead of Magnus The Magnificent!!!
                      Six wins, one draw and three losses are better than four wins, six draws and no loss ? A 2858 performance is better than Carlsen's 2878 ? Unless the ELO system is declared obsolete and meaningless, I don't believe in this. I don't believe in a system that produces controversial winners.

Comment

Re: Re : Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Six wins, one draw and three losses are better than four wins, six draws and no loss ? A 2858 performance is better than Carlsen's 2878 ? Unless the ELO system is declared obsolete and meaningless, I don't believe in this. I don't believe in a system that produces controversial winners.
                        Intrinsic to the rating system is the idea that 2 draws is equivalent to a win and a loss. So, using the performance rating to conclude the traditional system is closer to the "better" performance is circular reasoning.

Not that I don't agree with you otherwise. I agree that a 3-2-0 scoring system is er... pointless.

Comment

Re : Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Six wins, one draw and three losses are better than four wins, six draws and no loss ?
                          Let's remove four wins and one draw from both sides. This means that in the organizer's mind, Hao's two wins and three losses are better than Carlsen's five draws. I wonder if any top grandmasters really feel that way.

Comment

Re: Re : Wang Hao from Canada wins Biel International, ahead of Carlsen!

Me neither, and I wonder how many GMs agree with you as well. I'd say quite a few...

The 3-1-0 that was copied from professional soccer is, IMHO, ridiculous for chess. The only reason that professional soccer and the NHL have changed their scoring systems over the last 20 years is to increase television ratings.
                            Billions of dollars are at stake annually over televised sports ratings, and so to create more excitement, the leagues put more weight on wins.

This can hardly be compared to professional chess. In professional chess, there are no multi-million dollar contracts tied to TV ratings. So it strikes me as odd why a player with a +3 score should end up with more points than a player whoi finished with a +4 score.

In the spirit of Boris Gelfand's comments about his recent match against Anand, chess players are there to play chess, not to entertain spectators.
                            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                              That's true. Maybe Carlsen will decide to play less positionally now and more attacking so he scores more wins :)

Play more like Kasparov and less like Karpov :)
                              Carlsen took some expensive private lessons from Kasparov a while back so she should be playing like Kasparov...

Comment

Working...
                              X