Hal Bond will be match supervisor in Topalov-Kamsky match!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Bond will be match supervisor in Topalov-Kamsky match!

This has just appeared on the FIDE website:

"FIDE is pleased to announce that an agreement has been reached for organisation of the Challenger Match between Topalov and Kamsky. There has been full agreement between FIDE and the players regarding all aspects of the Match.
    The Match will take place in Sofia, Bulgaria, from 16th to 28th February, 2009 with a prize fund of USD 250,000 which will be shared equally by the players.

Both teams agreed on the following appointments:

Appeals Committee:

Nigel Freeman (BER) Chairman
    Boris Kutin (MNE)
    Vanik Zakarian (ARM)

Arbiters:

Ignatius Leong (SIN)
    Ashot Vardapetian (ARM)

Match Supervisor:

Hal Bond (CAN)

Gata Kamsky announced that Mr Chernenko is no longer his Representative and that he has appointed Emil Sutovsky as his Official Representative in all negotiations and as chief of his delegation and spokesperson for the team.

FIDE is pleased that the meetings with both delegations were conducted in a very friendly and constructive atmosphere and thanks both teams for their cooperation."

Congratulations Hal!

Re: Hal Bond will be match supervisor in Topalov-Kamsky match!

Congrats Hal!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Hal,

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Now please do tell this ignoramus, exactly what is a Match Supervisor, as opposed to an Arbiter?

Best of luck.

Peter

Comment

Congrats, Hal on your post as Head of Preventive CSI. Tom Cruise (Minority Report) of the chess world.

Comment

Shocked and Honoured

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I feel a bit like Peter does on this assignment, but I gather it is basically taking care of the manouvres away from the board. The Arbiters look after play, I look after any nonsense the rest of the time - ensuring that both sides are satisfied that fairness pervades the match.

Emil Sutovsky works with Gata and he is the one who called me to ask if I would do it. I said yes, and may regret it - apparently the manouvres are starting already. Both camps have enthusiastic advocates and all that goes with it!

My approach will be as consultative as possible. I hope to sit down with both sides while I am here. Makro had this role in Bonn so he is on my list of interviews/mentors.

Comment

Congratulations!
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Hal, I envy your close proximity to the match and the players, but not the job that you must perform to achieve said proximity. Best of luck.

Comment

posted to Kabul ?

"I gather it is basically taking care of the manouvres away from the board. The Arbiters look after play, I look after any nonsense the rest of the time - ensuring that both sides are satisfied that fairness pervades the match."

Well if this match is anything like the Kramnik-Topolov match you could really have your hands full. If the match contract has any defects there is sure to be trouble. To use a diplomatic analogy, the recent Anand-Kramnik world championship match, where you served, could be likened to a posting to London or Paris. You've now been posted to Kabul!

Comment

Re: Shocked and Honoured

Congratulations, Hal! It should be fascinating meeting these two players and watching them at close range.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Congratuations and condolences in equal measure:

:)official roles in World Championship final, the Olympiad, and WCh semi-final match, (all within six months) deserve respect and thanks from all fans.

but Topolov and Kamsky ...?!!
                    are there any two world-class players with representatives who have worse reputations as trouble-makers?

I think I'm being only mildly pessimistic if I say we should count this match a "success" if it lasts four games before either player storms out, trailing a cloud of lawyers.

jku

Comment

Working...
                    X