Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity theft hits Canadian master

The following appeared in a Canadian Press news item>>>>>

"NEW YORK, N.Y. - There may be an identity twist involving a Canadian in the case of a man charged with abruptly beating a stranger in the head with a hammer in a New York City park.
    A person familiar with the case tells The Associated Press that the Manhattan district attorney's office is looking into whether the man gave authorities a phoney identity.
    He provided the same full name and birthdate of a chess master in Canada, 43-year-old John Yoos (YOHSS') of Vancouver.
    The person spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the person wasn't authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
    The Legal Aid Society is representing the suspect and had no immediate comment.
    The Canadian chess player says he knew nothing about the July 30 attack until Monday. A friend saw a news report about it."

Since the victim was not a chess-player, the Canadian master is absolved of the crime.

Re: Identity theft hits Canadian master

Huffington Post has the following story today ...

False Identity

Originally posted by Jack Yoos
    It's a little bit disconcerting because, obviously, it's been widely reported. It's my name and my age on it," he said by phone. "I'd be very happy if this was clarified soon – that this is not, in fact, me."
    Now that's annoying. I understand the Spanish or Lopez is sometimes called "the rack", but I don't think there's any opening called "the hammer attack" (even if the Huffington Post uses that expression as a tag! lol) .
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 9th August, 2012, 11:03 AM. Reason: tags
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I always thought his switching back and forth between John and Jack was mighty suspicious. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility it was him out of hand just yet!

Comment

hmm. Well there's an interesting headline that I recall appeared in a Minnesota chess magazine around the time that Jack moved to Canada. See this thread here. But I always thought that had to do with his masterful play on the White side of a King's Gambit.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          I always thought his switching back and forth between John and Jack was mighty suspicious. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility it was him out of hand just yet!
          From Jack:

"My legal name is John Charles Yoos. No one ever calls me John. I have been Jack since I can remember. It is very common in the US… like John Kennedy/Jack Kennedy. My mom calls me Jack. I first started playing in chess tournaments when I was about 8 years old. So of course I was listed as Jack Yoos with the USCF at the start. The problem arose that when I got older and traveled to Europe, some tournaments took my name off my passport. This resulted in confusion with FIDE. Because of that I contacted the CFC and clarified it. And so now my name is listed as John C Yoos (Jack) even though I never use John, ever, I always go by Jack."

And in these parts (BC) we have a memorial tournament to Jack Taylor, whose given name was John ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
            From Jack:

"My legal name is John Charles Yoos. No one ever calls me John. I have been Jack since I can remember. It is very common in the US… like John Kennedy/Jack Kennedy. My mom calls me Jack. I first started playing in chess tournaments when I was about 8 years old. So of course I was listed as Jack Yoos with the USCF at the start. The problem arose that when I got older and traveled to Europe, some tournaments took my name off my passport. This resulted in confusion with FIDE. Because of that I contacted the CFC and clarified it. And so now my name is listed as John C Yoos (Jack) even though I never use John, ever, I always go by Jack."

And in these parts (BC) we have a memorial tournament to Jack Taylor, whose given name was John ...
            extensive travel, multiple aliases...more and more suspicious. Awaiting the new movie "The Yoos Legacy"

Comment

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...-hammer-attack

Comment

The identity theft goes back to at least 2008.

Anyone else recognize the guy?

CBS article with photo of assailant

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
                  The identity theft goes back to at least 2008.

Anyone else recognize the guy?
                  Don't recognize him but I am pretty sure Spraggett will confirm it's someone from the CFC shortly.

Comment

Bad things can happen to chess players just like anyone else.

As I recall from the time, this man finished his chess game, left his friends, and went home by train before this happened.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ed-by-son.html
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

KS has David.

Comment

Working...
                      X