IM norm for Shiyam! (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM norm for Shiyam! (?)

I think Shiyam Thavandiran has an IM norm result at the World Junior. Nice win over IM Axel Rambaldoni (young Italian star). Congratulations Shiyam!

Re: IM norm for Shiyam! (?)

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    I think Shiyam Thavandiran has an IM norm result at the World Junior. Nice win over IM Axel Rambaldoni (young Italian star). Congratulations Shiyam!
    Yes, he just (barely!) squeaked in there for an IM norm, along with Aman Hambleton.

So far just a 9-game norm, still time to extend that to 10 or more, or win 4 straight games for a shot at a GM norm :)
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Do the norms at the juniors count as double? I seem to recall that being the case before.
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
        Do the norms at the juniors count as double? I seem to recall that being the case before.
        I recall something like that as well, though I think it was only for the Olympiad. In any case, I can't find anything like that in the rules right now.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          I recall something like that as well, though I think it was only for the Olympiad. In any case, I can't find anything like that in the rules right now.
          Yes, the 20 game norm is only in Olympiads and Continentals. Regardless, great job Shiyam!

Comment

Both Shiyam and Aman extended their norms to 10 games.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Both Shiyam and Aman extended their norms to 10 games.
              While its nice to extend the norm, I am not quite sure why there is a difference between 9, 10 or 13 games for norms. Anything more than 13 games counts as 13 games and the minimum for a norm is 9. The requirement for a title is 27 games. Now there are a few tournaments where a norm can be obtained in less than 9 games but its unlikely that either Shiyam or Aman will get a norm there.

Of course, I saw a proposal by someone in FIDE to extend the number of games required to 30, in that case it would make a difference, but that was just a proposal.

Comment

True, when in the past you only needed 24 games worth of norms it was more important. Two 12-game norms would work!

However as you say there are some cases where norms can be achieved in fewer than 9 games as well, so having a longer-than-9-game-norm may come in handy. Better to have it than not to have it! Especially as these guys are strong enough to perhaps qualify for Continentals one day soon, where >13 game norms are possible.

Finally, I did find the rule tucked in there - Olympiad norms count as 20 or 13 games depending on how they were earned (norm result = 20, performance rating result only = 13).
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

True, when in the past you only needed 24 games worth of norms it was more important. Two 12-game norms would work!

However as you say there are some cases where norms can be achieved in fewer than 9 games as well, so having a longer-than-9-game-norm may come in handy. Better to have it than not to have it! Especially as these guys are strong enough to perhaps qualify for Continentals one day soon, where >13 game norms are possible.

Finally, I did find the rule tucked in there - Olympiad norms count as 20 or 13 games depending on how they were earned (norm result = 20, performance rating result only = 13).
                  Yes, Olympiads and Continentals are offering 20 game norms which are essentially double norms.

The only tournaments which allow less than 9 game norms are World Cups, and Continental/World team championships. Americas Team Championships are not really held, and obtaining a norm in the World Cup, well good luck! Of course, you are right it is better to have the longer norm than not, but the difference is very small.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                    Actually, doesn't Shiyam already have two norms? If so that means he is now an IM-elect! :)
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Actually, doesn't Shiyam already have two norms? If so that means he is now an IM-elect! :)
                      This is his third norm, but he needs his rating to get to 2400.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                        This is his third norm, but he needs his rating to get to 2400.
                        Pesky rules getting in the way :p

At the moment looks like he's gaining about 25 points this event with 2 rounds to go.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                        X