Congratulations IM Richard Wang!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations IM Richard Wang!

Richard is still 13 year of age (he will be 14 next month) and he now becomes the youngest IM in the history of Alberta. In fact, he must be one of the youngest ever to earn the IM title in Canada. Did anyone earn it in a younger age?

This is a very well deserved title for Richard, who in his recent tournaments showed that he is already playing at an IM level. Richard had a bad start losing to a much lower rated player, (which can probably at least partially be attributed to the fact that he arrived in Montreal 45 minutes before the start of round 1!) but showed resilience and played his best when it counted.

A couple of years ago I challenged Richard to become an IM before the age of 14. He made it just in the nick of time. I now issued a new challenge to Richard, that is to equal Fischer's accomplishment and earn the GM title before he turns 16! This will be probably even harder, but I believe that he can do it.

Re: Congratulations IM Richard Wang!

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    Richard is still 13 year of age (he will be 14 next month) and he now becomes the youngest IM in the history of Alberta. In fact, he must be one of the youngest ever to earn the IM title in Canada. Did anyone earn it in a younger age?

This is a very well deserved title for Richard, who in his recent tournaments showed that he is already playing at an IM level. Richard had a bad start losing to a much lower rated player, (which can probably at least partially be attributed to the fact that he arrived in Montreal 45 minutes before the start of round 1!) but showed resilience and played his best when it counted.

A couple of years ago I challenged Richard to become an IM before the age of 14. He made it just in the nick of time. I now issued a new challenge to Richard, that is to equal Fischer's accomplishment and earn the GM title before he turns 16! This will be probably even harder, but I believe that he can do it.
    Youngest Canadian IM

Mark Bluvshtein - born 20 April 1988
    IM Title at Canadian Closed Zonal 2001 - 29 August 2001

Comment

Still, possibly second-youngest? Only missed it by a few months.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
        Youngest Canadian IM

Mark Bluvshtein - born 20 April 1988
        IM Title at Canadian Closed Zonal 2001 - 29 August 2001
        Richard is in good company!

Comment

Congratulations IM Richard Wang! I agree, you are in good company.

Comment

I want also to congratulate Richard Wang. I follow his chess last 4-5 years (he beats my son regularly at CYCC). Richard is not only a very talented chessplayer, but also a nice and friendly person (also a great basketball player). Sure, he has a chance to become a GM by age of 16.

Before last round of Canadian Closed I thought that Vladimir Pechenkin has more chances to win a title. He had a great tournament (beat 4 lower-rated players, drew with black against 2 IMs, and lost to 2 GMs). Sometimes in swiss tournament last round is more important than previous 8 all together.

My forecast for this Canadian Closed was: IM title - R.Wang, FM title - M.Song and R.Preotu. May be I overestimate young players. However it's clear for me that we have very strong generation of 12-13 y.o. players (burn 1998-1999).
            R.Wang, M.Song, J.Peng, R.Preotu, O.Chiku-Ratte - all of them are very good players right now. We can also add to this group J.Cao and Y.Zhang (burn 2000).
            So will Canada have a bright chess future? We'll see.
            Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Tuesday, 14th August, 2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
              I want also to congratulate Richard Wang. I follow his chess last 4-5 years (he beats my son regularly at CYCC). Richard is not only a very talented chessplayer, but also a nice and friendly person (also a great basketball player). Sure, he has a chance to become a GM by age of 16.

Before last round of Canadian Closed I thought that Vladimir Pechenkin has more chances to win a title. He had a great tournament (beat 4 lower-rated players, drew with black against 2 IMs, and lost to 2 GMs). Sometimes in swiss tournament last round is more important than previous 8 all together.

My forecast for this Canadian Closed was: IM title - R.Wang, FM title - M.Song and R.Preotu. May be I overestimate young players. However it's clear for me that we have very strong generation of 12-13 y.o. players (burn 1998-1999).
              R.Wang, M.Song, J.Peng, R.Preotu, O.Chiku-Ratte - all of them are very good players right now. We can also add to this group J.Cao and Y.Zhang (burn 2000).
              So will Canada have a bright chess future? We'll see.
              Since you do not want to be accused of nepotism, let the rest of us who know Mark, add Mark Plotkin to the list!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                Since you do not want to be accused of nepotism, let the rest of us who know Mark, add Mark Plotkin to the list!
                Let's also give credit to Mark Plotkin who played a beautiful game against Richard Wang at the 2012 CYCC - Richard sacrificed a rook for 5 pawns to get a huge attack, and Mark hung on for the draw.

[Event "2012 Canadian Youth Chess Championship"]
                [Site "Vancouver"]
                [Date "2012.07.04"]
                [Round "3"]
                [White "Plotkin, Mark"]
                [Black "Wang, Richard"]
                [Result "1/2-1/2"]
                [WhiteELO "0"]
                [WhiteTitle ""]
                [BlackELO "0"]
                [BlackTitle ""]
                [Source "MonRoi"]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 Nc6 8.Qd2 O-O 9.O-O-O Bd7 10.g4 Rc8 11.h4 Ne5 12.h5 Qa5 13.Kb1 Nxf3 14.Nxf3 Rxc3 15.Qxc3 Qxc3 16.bxc3 Bxg4 17.Bg2 Nxe4 18.Rde1 Nxc3 19.Kc1 Nxa2 20.Kb1 Nc3 21.Kc1 Bxh5 22.Bxa7 Ra8 23.Bf2 e6 24.Nd4 Bxd4 25.Bxd4 Ne2 26.Rxe2 Bxe2 27.Bxb7 Rb8 28.Bg2 e5 29.Kd2 Bc4 30.Be3 f5 31.Bg5 Kg7 32.Ra1 Bf7 33.Ra7 e4 34.Rd7 d5 35.Bf4 Re8 36.Ke3 h6 37.Kd4 g5 38.Be5 Kg6 39.Rd6 Be6 40.Bf1 Re7 41.Bb5 f4 42.c4 dxc4 43.Bxc4 Kf5 44.Bxe6 Rxe6 45.Rxe6 Kxe6 46.Kxe4 f3 47.Bg3 h5 48.Kxf3 Kf5 49.Bh4 gxh4 50.Kg2 Kg4 51.Kh2 h3 52.Kh1 Kg3 53.Kg1 h2 54.Kh1 1/2-1/2

Comment

Working...
                X