• Show
Clear All

• Brantford Food Bank Tournament

Brantford Food Bank Fundraiser
    Sunday August 26 2012
    Cost $10 plus 2 canned goods
    Harmony Square (Outside) brantchess.ca
    5 Rd Swiss (Not CFC Rated)
    TC 25min + 5sec (30 min if digital clocks not available)
    Please bring sets and clocks (limited amounts available)
    Registration 10 - 11 am
    Rd 1 11 am
    Contact Lee Hendon or Rob Gashgarian
    leehendon@rogers.com 519 304 3960
    brantchess@primus.ca 519 751 4157
    No Late Fees:)
    Prizes Trophies
    Last edited by Lee Hendon; Monday, 13th August, 2012, 10:37 PM.

Re: Brantford Food Bank Tournament

I'd like to add something to the mix... I'm offering a $50 prize to the person that donates the most items. If more than one player brings the same highest number, then they split the prize. Minimum of 10 items to qualify.

I'm also offering another $50 prize to the person who brings the largest number of different items. Minimum of 10 different items to qualify.

A player can qualify in both categories, but may only win one prize.

Let's fill those bins!!!!

Organizers: If you accept the above, I'll e-transfer $100 to you within the next day or two.
    Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Tuesday, 14th August, 2012, 06:35 AM.
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Anyone who reads this message and would like to create a charity tournament with proceeds going to a local food bank, please feel free to contact me via ChessTalk. I will do my best to make a similar challenge donation depending on my cash flow at that time.
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Are there any pre-registrations yet? :)

(yes, yes, this is a disguised bump...)

Comment

Thank you Jordan.
          We have received your payment and I think your criteria are fine as you've stated. We're open to other possibilities for distributing, but will go with this for now. If the prize criteria aren't met, any leftover money will be donated directly to the Food Bank, as per your request.
          As usual, we will have book certificates and engraved mugs for the chess prizes.

Comment

Just bumping one week to go :)

Comment

Any pre-registration yet?

Comment

Are there any pre-registered players? :)

Comment

The event turned out nicely. I don't recall the full results hopefully Lee or Rob will post them. Adam Cormier won at 5/5, Rob Gashgarian and I tied for 2nd-3rd at 3.5/5.

$170 was raised for the food bank as well as a lot of food items ... I don't know the exact count of those.

The winner of Jordan's prizes - Christopher Osborne (I think?) brought 52 items for one of the $50 prizes, and I brought 21 distinct items to win the other $50 prize. Thanks to that as well as some other anonymous donations I think at least 10 out of the 16 participants ended up with prizes!

It was an enjoyable way to end my 3rd career big break from tournament chess, thanks for running it Rob and Lee!

P.S. Press Coverage: http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/201...eckmate-hunger
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Excellent!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                      Excellent!!!!
                      Jordan, your generosity received an enthusiastic round of applause at the awards ceremony!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        Jordan, your generosity received an enthusiastic round of applause at the awards ceremony!
                        Very nice :D

I'm planning a similar tournament here in St. John's after the summer is over!

Who knows, maybe next year I will be able to attend the next Brantford Food Bank tournament :)

All the best! Jordan

Comment

I don't have the overall standings, but Adam did win with 5/5. Your cash prize numbers are correct.
                          We are waiting to hear from the Food Bank--they measure by weight, but by my records, at least 250 items were donated. I know by the fact we filled two large containers that we collected more than any of the previous years. There are other donations, but only the participants' donations were documented.
                          Lee and Rob were able to have other donations as well that allowed 11 players to walk away with at least a token of appreciation.
                          We would like to thank all those that helped make this 4th annual event a great success.

Prizes/Winners
                          1st overall Adam Cormier engraved mug, $20 Coles/Chapters gift cert., toothbrush
                          2nd overall Chris Mallon $10 Coles gift cert
                          1st U1700 Robin Johnston engraved mub, $15 Coles gift cert, shaving kit
                          2nd U1700 Erik Cayaban $5 Coles gift cert
                          Top Local Adult Peter Bos Dufferin Tennis Club membership
                          Top Local Jr Aaron Cayaban Don Warrener's Karate demo & pizza party

$50-most food items donated Chris Osborne (52 items)
                          $50-most unique food items donated Chris Mallon (21 items)

Comment

Standings. Food Bank 2012: Food Bank (Pair number)
                            # Name ID Rtng Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Tot Prize
                            1 Adam Cormier 149091 2051 W9 W7 W2 W11 W16 5.0
                            2 Rob Gashgarian 112426 2030 W10 W5 L1 D4 W11 3.5
                            3 Peter Bos 111626 2025 L11 W12 W8 L16 W7 3.0
                            4 Robert Gillanders 108202 1815 W13 D8 D11 D2 L5 2.5
                            5 Christopher Mallon 109034 1767 W14 L2 W9 D6 W4 3.5
                            6 Lee Hendon 105731 1739 H--- L11 W10 D5 L9 2.0
                            7 Roy Jones 112378 1722 W15 L1 L16 W8 L3 2.0
                            8 Tyler Ensor 145637 1634 W16 D4 L3 L7 W10 2.5
                            9 Erik Cayaban 154414 1610 L1 W15 L5 W14 W6 3.0
                            10 Matthew Mills 121321 1430 L2 W14 L6 W13 L8 2.0
                            11 Tom Van Hulsen 152899 1390 W3 W6 D4 L1 L2 2.5
                            12 Russell Dunk 150559 1384 H--- L3 L13 W15 W14 2.5
                            13 Christopher Osborne 113031 1245 L4 L16 W12 L10 W15 2.0
                            14 Aaron Cayaban 154415 1129 L5 L10 W15 L9 L12 1.0
                            15 Colby Ayres unr. L7 L9 L14 L12 L13 0.0
                            16 Robin Johnston 154226 unr. L8 W13 W7 W3 L1 3.0

Comment

Working...
                            X