Scrabble Cheats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrabble Cheats

I played in a Scrabble tournament last fall and was quite taken by the similarities which experience shares with chess. They use clocks, record the game, have ratings. Some cheat.

Scrabble in my opinion is extremely vulnerable to phone cheats, and they lag chess in their regulations against it. The main documented cheat in Scrabble is simply palming tiles. The cheat will typically acquire the blanks from the set and reintroduce them on the sly.

They caught another one at the US Nationals in Orlando this past week.

Re: Scrabble Cheats

Click here for the story from Orlando.

I think it's pretty sad really...
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      I played in a Scrabble tournament last fall and was quite taken by the similarities which experience shares with chess. They use clocks, record the game, have ratings. Some cheat.

Scrabble in my opinion is extremely vulnerable to phone cheats, and they lag chess in their regulations against it. The main documented cheat in Scrabble is simply palming tiles. The cheat will typically acquire the blanks from the set and reintroduce them on the sly.

They caught another one at the US Nationals in Orlando this past week.
      you might enjoy the book "Word Freak" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_Freak_%28book%29 which is about competitive Scrabble. Yes, reading the book, the personalities and complaints remind one a lot of the chess scene. Apparently though, the Scrabble players are very jealous of the chess world. There is a lot more money in chess than in competitive Scrabble.....

Comment

How to prevent cheating in Scrabble? Play "duplicate Scrabble" - that's what they use in French Scrabble tournaments. Everyone plays on their own board; the MC draws the letters; the player have three minutes to create the best word possible. The words are compared, and the best one is put on the demo board, and more letters are drawn. You score for whatever word you made, but only the highest scoring one is "passed on" to the next letter drawing.

Generally - final scores are indicated as percentages of the highest possible score.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicate_Scrabble

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          you might enjoy the book "Word Freak" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_Freak_%28book%29 which is about competitive Scrabble. Yes, reading the book, the personalities and complaints remind one a lot of the chess scene. Apparently though, the Scrabble players are very jealous of the chess world. There is a lot more money in chess than in competitive Scrabble.....
          I read that book one time. It was pretty cool. Basically, scrabble players are pissed that they don't make as much money as chess players, and chess players are pissed that they don't make as much as poker players.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
            I read that book one time. It was pretty cool. Basically, scrabble players are pissed that they don't make as much money as chess players, and chess players are pissed that they don't make as much as poker players.
            ...and poker players are pissed that their pocket aces got busted yet again because skill isn't always enough to win hands...
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Scrabble is a proprietary game, and North American rights are held by Hasbro but elsewhere I think Mattel has it. So this limits international action in North America.

I was surprised to learn that Guelph has a Scrabble tourney every month. Despite greeting newbies at the chess club who are shocked to find that their 1800 computer rating translates to 1100 otb, I fell prey to the same inflated expectation. My online Scrabble rating is 1400ish, my otb after 6 games is 658. I won twice and was bloody grateful at that.

Comment

The PCF (Pakistan Chess Federation) and PSA (Pakistan Scrabble Association) are joining forces (:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/657411/s...common-ground/

Comment

There is no reference as to what language is used by the PSA, since Urdu is an official language (along with English) - both languages being spoken as a first language by relatively few people. Possibly Scrabble in Punjabi - which is spoken by 45% of the population?

Comment

Working...
                  X