Backgammon tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backgammon tournaments

We have a backgammon meetup every Sunday at Toronto Coffee & Tea House, 685 Lansdowne (next to the subway station)
    Anyone wanting information on this Sunday's game (and be notified of future events here) please email me at vladdobrich@gmail(dot)com
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Saturday, 12th July, 2014, 10:28 AM.

Re: Backgammon tournaments

This is a good time to mention that backgammon is also thriving in Metro Vancouver. The Vancouver Backgammon Club holds a double-elimination tournament on the first Sunday of each month at the Burnaby Firefighters Club (aka The Hose & Hydrant). The H&H is located on Bonsor Avenue just behind Metrotown shopping centre. The entry fee is $20 and play starts at 1:00 p.m. sharp. Visit the VBC's website at www.vancouverbg.com for more information on backgammon in Metro Vancouver.

Comment

If the first Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, the Vancouver BG meetup shifts to the second Sunday.

Comment

Still no emails received from interested parties. Perhaps Montreal is not as active as I had heard. Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Still no emails received from interested parties. Perhaps Montreal is not as active as I had heard. Anyone?
          Vlad,

Montreal used to have a very active backgammon community when Le Gammon was around, and even after Le Gammon became Café Ludik. Both clubs would run regular backgammon and blitz chess events. That was quite a few years ago.

While backgammon players and chess players still meet at Café Pi fairly regularly, it is neither a backgammon nor a chess club, it is primarily a café. So when the UEFA Cup was running and Portugal was playing, the blitz tournament was cancelled because the owner(s) wanted to make available as much space as possible for soccer fans.

I would say the most active backgammon club in Canada is likely your club. I have researched online for backgammon activity in different parts of Canada, but have yet to find anything regular.

Next time I'm in Toronto, I will definitely visit and play some BG...

Best of luck! Jordan
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

As far as I know, right now Montreal has no organized backgammon events. Players will contact each other for a 5-man $5-a-point chouette at Cafe Pi or Cafe Yoy (St.Denis and Mt.Royal).

The high-stakes games take place on the Internet. A couple of years ago I watched Alexandre Lesiege playing for $200 a point on play65.com (he won about $2000 in under an hour).

There is a Quebec Backgammon federation: http://www.fqjr.qc.ca/backgammon/fr/index.html - but the web page hasn't been updated for over a year, and the advertised tournaments at Cafe Yoy petered out after a coupe of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              As far as I know, right now Montreal has no organized backgammon events. Players will contact each other for a 5-man $5-a-point chouette at Cafe Pi or Cafe Yoy (St.Denis and Mt.Royal).

The high-stakes games take place on the Internet. A couple of years ago I watched Alexandre Lesiege playing for $200 a point on play65.com (he won about $2000 in under an hour).

There is a Quebec Backgammon federation: http://www.fqjr.qc.ca/backgammon/fr/index.html - but the web page hasn't been updated for over a year, and the advertised tournaments at Cafe Yoy petered out after a coupe of months.
              Hi Hugh,
              Thanks for your effort in searching the information. Through other means I have discovered that BG is played at Cafe Pi and Cafe Solaris at this time.
              I would no longer be playing high stakes games the last time was in Dallas where I got beat for some 170 points at $200. The time before (also Dallas) I had won 92 points at the same price - its a risky game!
              Also, I now have one contact email in Montreal - a Patrick StLaurent. If anyone else wants to receive our regular tournament info, they should email me.

Comment

Patrick is probably your best Montreal contact - if there's an event going on (or planned), he would know. Michel Merlitti is another - but maybe not as reliable.

Comment

Re: Backgammon in Montreal?

It's November 2012 and YES, Montreal Backgammon is alive and well.

Visit us here: http://www.backgammonmontreal.com

A special invite to all Chesstalk memebrs - if you can show toronto ID, you can get into (not play, unless you pay) our Tournaments as a Guest observer. Vlad Dobrich is a member - http://www.backgammonmontreal.com/members/5134559/ and we are thrilled to have someone of his caliber help grow this club with advice on holding tournaments and such.

Long Live Backgammon (câlice!)

ps: start your refresher course here - http://www.backgammonmontreal.com/files/
                  Last edited by Montreal Backgammon Group; Monday, 12th November, 2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X