Going to final round World Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to final round World Junior

With the final (13th) round tomorrow, here are the performances of the four junior masters representing Canada in Athens:

IM Hansen Eric............. 2472 Rp:2481 8.0
    FM Hambleton Aman...... 2244 Rp:2464 7.0
    FM Thavandiran Shiyam.. 2301 Rp:2389 6.0
    FM Kleinman Michael...... 2330 Rp:2275 5.0

The 2400+ ratings are especially noteworthy - there are many active grandmasters with ratings no higher.

Re: Going to final round World Junior

Question: How is it that Canada has five players in the WJCC, but the USA only has one? Isn't it usually the other way around?
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Rd. 13 ( final ) Pairings - Canada

Pairings of round 13 ( final ) for CAN:

Rd. Bo. No. Name Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Rtg No.

13 8 17 IM Heimann Andreas 2493 8 8 IM Hansen Eric 2472 26
      13 16 23 IM Shyam Nikil P 2484 7 7 FM Hambleton Aman 2244 79
      13 33 66 FM Thavandiran Shiyam 2301 6 6 IM Anwesh Upadhyaya 2374 48
      13 45 96 Naoum Spyridon 2146 5½ 5 FM Kleinman Michael 2330 61
      13 61 106 Caetano Hugo Zanotti Mendonca 2109 4 3½ Wu Kevin 1905 122

Bob

Comment

Re: Rd. 13 ( final ) Pairings - Canada

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Pairings of round 13 ( final ) for CAN:

Rd. Bo. No. Name Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Rtg No.

13 8 17 IM Heimann Andreas 2493 8 8 IM Hansen Eric 2472 26
        13 16 23 IM Shyam Nikil P 2484 7 7 FM Hambleton Aman 2244 79
        13 33 66 FM Thavandiran Shiyam 2301 6 6 IM Anwesh Upadhyaya 2374 48
        13 45 96 Naoum Spyridon 2146 5½ 5 FM Kleinman Michael 2330 61
        13 61 106 Caetano Hugo Zanotti Mendonca 2109 4 3½ Wu Kevin 1905 122

Bob
        Also noteworthy is Canadian girls Champion Nicka Kalaydina who currently has 5.5/12. Her last round pairing is below:

25 43 WFM Frey Alisa 2035 5½ 5½ Kalaydina Regina Veronicka 1928 56

Comment

Re : Going to final round World Junior

While the Canadian results are certainly commendable, to suggest a quasi GM level performance is a bit of a stretch. Of the 13 GMs playing in Athens, only one, Tal Baron, has a sub 2507 TPR.

The most amazing TPR by a non GM (but not likely for long!) continues to be that of the 13 year old Wei Yi who has a mind boggling 2656 TPR.

Hopefully, our own newly crowned IM, the soon to be 14 years old Richard Wang will participate next year. With a current FIDE rating of 2338, Richard would have been our 2nd highest rated player at this year's edition in Athens.

Comment

Eric Hansen won his final round bringing his total for the event to 9 - 4.
            Well done, Eric!

Comment

Also, despite losing his final game, Aman Hambleton earned a full 13-game IM norm.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Congratulations, Aman!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                  Eric Hansen won his final round bringing his total for the event to 9 - 4.
                  Well done, Eric!
                  Do you know if any Canadian has previously finished that high in the World Junior before? Tied for 5th to 10th. I don't recall such a good finish.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Do you know if any Canadian has previously finished that high in the World Junior before? Tied for 5th to 10th. I don't recall such a good finish.
                    See http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/jun.htm, courtesy of Jonathan Berry

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                      See http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/jun.htm, courtesy of Jonathan Berry
                      Thanks. The best score ever by a Canadian in the World Junior.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm currently in the airport in Montreal, a few hours away from home (Ottawa) at last!

I thought I'd share some of my personal thoughts and experiences from this year's World Junior.

First of all, the Canadian delegation was one of the largest it's ever been, with 5 participants in the Open section. Eric Hansen, as pointed out by Jonathan Berry on his website above, scored the best result ever by a Canadian, tied for 5th overall, and 10th on tiebreaks. Eric has a curse for playing Canadian players at World events, it's happened far too many times to count - and that was his only loss suffered the entire tournament. Not the strongest start, but Eric finished very strong scoring 5/6 points after the rest day. An amazing finish at this competitive tournament, and now the Olympiad is coming up soon on his schedule... best of luck!

Shiyam scored his 3rd and final IM norm (congrats!) and now just needs to get the rating to 2400 to make it official. Myself, I scored my first IM norm and probably played one of the best touranments of my life, gaining about 50 FIDE rating, and keeping a 12-game (not 13, Chris!) IM norm. I think the main thing that I noticed was that Canadians in general are really underrated in the FIDE rating system, and are dangerously strong. I think many European and foreign players learned this the hard way over the course of the tournament.

The hotel lacked a pool facility and a workout facility, and personally I found the food to be far too repetitive after a week. This sparked a few nighttime strolls in 40 degree heat to find traditional greek restaurants for a cheap, tasty 8 euro meal. All the Canadians went to see the Acropolis on the final day, which was unfortunately closed if we wanted to walk all the way to the top, but we did get a fair way up the mountain and got a great view of the city. The weather was great and the hotel rooms were perfectly normal - the tournament was well organized, and the playing hall was very nice. Pictures were uploaded to the official website as well, and I think every Canadian player has at least one picture there.

I am personally really pleased with my chess, and had a great time at this tournament, my first and unfortunately also my last World Junior. Thanks to everyone who helped me make this trip possible (Corinna!) and thanks to everyone back home who followed the tournament online. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                          I thought I'd share some of my personal thoughts and experiences from this year's World Junior.
                          Thnx for personal input. Hope you (plural) will find time to comment your games for the CCN :)

Comment

Eric's score of 9 - 4 looks especially good when you see that Vishy Anand won the WJCC in 1987 with a score of 8 - 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                              Myself, I scored my first IM norm and probably played one of the best touranments of my life, gaining about 50 FIDE rating, and keeping a 12-game (not 13, Chris!) IM norm.
                              Sorry, the site must have had an incorrect performance rating for you originally after the 13th game when I checked. In any case, still a great result :)
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X