The Stress of Chess by Walter Browne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Stress of Chess by Walter Browne

(1991) In late July I stopped off in Windsor, Ontario, just across the river from Detroit, where I encountered a soft opposition including two Soviets. After besting IM Alex Barsov, I basically had a very easy time cruising through the field with an 8 ½ - 3 ½ start. A last-round draw with the strong Canadian IM Deen Hergott iced my first Canadian Open Championship.

I played in this tournament(if this is the same CO). I thought he got a massive score like 9-1. He beat Jeff Reeve as White with 5.f3 Benko Gambit; He won with White against Dave Ross against a Leningrad Dutch;

I remember someone asking him to analyze a game and his reply was no, 'This would be like giving free lessons'(paraphrasing). The organizer had a tough time as many of his promised helpers bailed on him. Sorry I don't remember his name. Terry something perhaps. There were numerous complaints about the lack of a wallchart for results etc but not many people stepped up to give him any assistance. I felt bad for him and did the odd thing or two.

Comment

There are some excellent new books available now

Quality Chess GM Preparation Series
      -Calculation
      -Positional Play
      -Strategic Play
      -Attack and Defence(I'm almost done)
      -Endgame Play(the next to be tackled)

are all excellent high-level problem solving books. I usually score 1-2 out of 6 as I slog my way through. There are 6 diagrams per page.

Other books of note
      -Move First,Think Later-Willy Hendrils(Dan Scoones recommended this one to me. Seems pretty good)
      -Pump up Your Rating-Axel Smith(I like this training book. from a relatively unknown author)
      -Mating the Castled King-GM Danny Gormally(Title says it all-I have not have much time to look at this one but seems quite useful)
      -The Most Flexible Sicilian-GM Delchev(Must have for Kan/Taimanov players. A really excellent book as usual. Includes illustrative games and a chapter on main ideas for each variation. Usually a separate Ch for the Kan and Taimanov for each major white option. Delchev mentions when doing deeper analysis he uses Houdini 4. I'm still using Houdini3Pro. I suppose I need to upgrade at some point.)

There is also a repertoire series by GM Kornev
      'A Practical White Repertoire with 1.d4 and 2.c4 Vols 1-3'
      Vol 3 overs Nimzo-Indian, Benko, Benoni, Dutch and all other semi-closed defences(400pp)
      This is a useful series for a different repertoire than the 2 vols by GM Avrukh. There are no illustrative games, just compact lines and decent explanations.

My rating is doing a great job of sinking fast so I spend much less time blogging and more training as I fight the losing middle-age mediocrity battle. Once in a while I meet/chat with the Tapp family. Recently we went for an ice-cream together and I recommended some books to Ashley who is really into reading now.

One book Larry B might be interested in is Dinamika a Sakkban(Hungarian Language 256pp) by FM Laszlo Mihok. The author is my teammate and his son is IM Olivier Mihok(2450-ish). The book needs a good translation and wide distribution. ISBN 978-963-08-8882-0. The book discusses many aspects of dynamic chess and includes quiz positions and features many Hungarian games. Some black and white pics. One in the front has GMs Pinter, Portisch, Balogh Csaba and IM Mihok,O analyzing. Unfortunately the author speaks only English and German. Both he and his son are my teammates Rakosligeti(RAC).

Comment

Michael - good reading about Ashley - shows her seriousness as a student of the game - and best form of mentoring possible - recommending excellent chess books.

Comment

She is Ms. Serious now.

Comment

Ms Ashley or Ms Tapp?

Comment

Ashley is Ms Serious!

Comment

Got it! Good to hear!

Comment

'St. Louis Public Radio' features Walter Browne (as well as Nakamura and Carlsen).

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/...ent-and-future

Comment

At Vancouver 1975 I hung out with Walter Browne quite a bit. During a break one evening he insisted on going to a bowling alley, where he introduced me to the 10-pin game. He was very competitive in everything and was rather put out when "beginner's luck" kicked in and I managed to win. Another time, I went for dinner with Walter, his wife Raquel (who always called him Shawn), Eugene Martinovsky, and our own Ben Kruger. Endless stories about chess in New York!

Comment

Stress of Chess and Its Infinite Success

Walter Browne says in the latest issue of the British Chess Magazine (March 2015) that he is happy with the initial sales of his book “Stress of Chess and Its Infinite Success”, still with excellent reviews worldwide, he expected more. He is currently working on Volume #2 and will be posting games on his new website each week for possible inclusion.

Those interested can find it at

http://www.finessebybrowne.com

where they may give their opinion, plus have a chance to win a complimentary book.

Finesse, by the way, is a board game he invented in 1993. The pieces are the Knook, Knishop, Hoppy, Trident, Dualist, Zeus and Forwinder.

Comment

Good to hear that Walter Browne is keeping his hand in chess with a volume 2. I like the book and am looking forward to the next.

Comment

Working...
                        X