Toronto Chess News - A New Chess E-Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Chess News - A New Chess E-Newsletter

As some of you may know, I founded the Scarborough Chess Club Newsletter in its current form in Sept. 1999. I have been its sole editor for the last 13 years. I have enjoyed the job. I feel the newsletter has been an asset to Scarborough Chess Club.

But I feel it is now time to move on to new challenges. So I have just now handed in my resignation as SCC Newsletter Editor, effective immediately, to the SCC Executive.

One of the new challenges I am now going to take on, is to found and edit and publish a new independent electronic newsletter, called the “ Toronto Chess News “. It will be published by my chess services company, Canadian Chess Consulting Service, and it will provide me as the new Editor. It will cover chess news at all levels: international/FIDE; national/CFC; provincial/OCA; regional/GTCL, and will cover the activities of local Toronto and GTA chess clubs and local GTA tournaments. I will continue to write original articles, as well as republishing interesting information from various chess websites. It is my hope that local chess clubs and tournaments will submit games to the new newsletter, and I will annotate them as I have done over the years with respect to SCC Member games.

The Toronto Chess News e-newsletter will be free to subscribers.

If you would like to become a free subscriber to Toronto Chess News, then please contact Canadian Chess Consulting Service: canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com.

Thanks to all those who supported SCC and Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views over the years, and me as SCC Newsletter Editor.

I hope that I will get similar support as Canadian Chess Consulting Service embarks on this new enterprise.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you.

Bob Armstrong, Toronto Chess News Editor/former SCC Newsletter Editor.

Re: Toronto Chess News - A New Chess E-Newsletter

Dear Bob, this is to express my personal appreciaiton to your efforts in publishing the SCC Newsletter. I enjoyed reading all the contents of each publication and has provided weekly excitement especially in the years 2007-2009 when tournament games were published without any restriction, i mean, games from an on going tournament.
    Thank you very much Bob.
    And wish you success in your new project. "Mabuhay" Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      As some of you may know, I founded the Scarborough Chess Club Newsletter in its current form in Sept. 1999. I have been its sole editor for the last 13 years. I have enjoyed the job. I feel the newsletter has been an asset to Scarborough Chess Club.

But I feel it is now time to move on to new challenges. So I have just now handed in my resignation as SCC Newsletter Editor, effective immediately, to the SCC Executive.

One of the new challenges I am now going to take on, is to found and edit and publish a new independent electronic newsletter, called the “ Toronto Chess News “. It will be published by my chess services company, Canadian Chess Consulting Service, and it will provide me as the new Editor. It will cover chess news at all levels: international/FIDE; national/CFC; provincial/OCA; regional/GTCL, and will cover the activities of local Toronto and GTA chess clubs and local GTA tournaments. I will continue to write original articles, as well as republishing interesting information from various chess websites. It is my hope that local chess clubs and tournaments will submit games to the new newsletter, and I will annotate them as I have done over the years with respect to SCC Member games.

The Toronto Chess News e-newsletter will be free to subscribers.

If you would like to become a free subscriber to Toronto Chess News, then please contact Canadian Chess Consulting Service: canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com.

Thanks to all those who supported SCC and Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views over the years, and me as SCC Newsletter Editor.

I hope that I will get similar support as Canadian Chess Consulting Service embarks on this new enterprise.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you.

Bob Armstrong, Toronto Chess News Editor/former SCC Newsletter Editor.
      Will current subscribers to the SCC newsletter automatically be enrolled to receive the Toronto Chess News? If not, please go ahead and sign me up anyway!

Good luck with the new (ad)venture.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Erwin:

Thanks for your kind words about the SCC newsletter, and my editorship over the years.

I am somewhat excited about going " independent " as a chess journalist - my company, which will be publishing the e-newsletter, is receiving many requests to be added to the free subscribers' list for the new Toronto Chess News. It will supply me as the new Editor.

If you would like to get onto the list ( first Issue will be Sept. 1, if I can pull it off ), then please e-mail me at Canadian Chess Consulting Service ( canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com )

Bob, TCN Editor

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Thanks for your good wishes on my new project, and you are now on the new Toronto Chess News subscribers' list.

All subscribers of the Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views, have received an e-mail from me, explaining my decision to resign as SCC newsletter editor, and asking that they reply to that e-mail, if they wish to get onto the new TCN subscribers' list. I advised that if I had no reply, then I would assume they did not wish to receive TCN.

Also, I do not know if SCTCN&V will be continued on by SCC under a new editor. The SCC AGM is on Thursday, Sept. 6 and it is on the agenda. If it does, then they have the full SCTCN&V old subscribers' list, and I would expect that the subscribers would automatically receive the new SCTCN&V.

Bob, TCN Editor

Comment

Good luck with you new project and company, Bob.

I didn't realize you'd have to go back to work to cover our small wager on the next election. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

Unfortunately, my company is a non-profit!! So I can't use any $ 20 I earn to pay you , in the very unlikely event that that should occur. In fact, at the moment, my company would have trouble scraping together the $ 20, even if I wanted it to! LOL.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Is there a web link for Toronto Chess News, or is it only available via email subscription?

Marcus
                Marcus Wilker
                Annex Chess Club
                Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Re: Toronto Chess News - Website

Hi Marcus:

I have now arranged for construction of a new TCN website. But it may take a bit of time - my volunteer contractor is pretty busy at the moment. But it is in process.

It will have the current Issue, as well as ALL back Issues archived.

There will also be an archive of all 13 Volumes of the Scarborough CC Newsletter that I founded and edited, The Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views. May be of some value for historical research. Started in Sept. , 1999.

Canadian Chess Consulting Service ( CCCS )/Bob

Comment

Re: Toronto Chess News - Successful 2nd Issue!

The 2nd Issue of Toronto Chess News ( TCN ) came out this morning, Friday, Sept. 14 - it is Issue # 1-2 of Sept. 15 , 2012.

It is over 50 pages, and covers International news ( the Olympics ) and local tournaments ( The Toronto Labour Day Open ). In it we had news from 7 GTA + 1 Southwestern Ontario clubs!! They are:

Toronto - Scarborough CC; Annex CC; Willowdale CC.
                    Halton - Burlington CC
                    Peel - Mississauga CC
                    York - Aurora CC
                    Durham - Ajax CC
                    Southwestern Ontario - Hamilton CC

If you play at a GTA chess club that has not yet asked for a section in TCN under " GTA Club and Tournament News ", then speak to your executive, and have them contact me at: canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com .

A Games Database accompanies the newsletter, containing all games in the text of the newsletter, most annotated.

Bob

P.S, To get on the free subscribers' list, just e-mail me at the above address.

Comment

Re: Toronto Chess News - Lots of Club News

The third Issue of TCN comes out October 1.

Look for more news updates from the 8 chess clubs using TCN to promote their clubs. Some of the chess clubs will also be providing some club member games. We are also making contact with some more clubs, and they may open a " news " section for their club.

To get on the free subscribers' list, just e-mail me at : canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com .

Bob , TCN Editor

Comment

Working...
                      X