Conspicuous by their absence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspicuous by their absence

Two of the biggest names in chess are going to be rather conspicuous by their absence at this year's 2012 Chess Olmpiad in Istanbul.
    Viswanathan Anand will not be representing India for the 4th consecutive Olympiad. He last played at the 2004 Calvia Olympiad in Spain and led India to a 6th place finish.
    Imho, this is a bit of a slap in the face to his home country. I suppose it does rather fit in with his chess philosophy of only playing in Category 19+ Tournaments but I think he should make an exception for this biennial event.
    Magnus Carlsen, of course, is the other big name (is there any bigger?) opting not to participate. It's perhaps a little more understandable here since Norway is far from a competitive team (4 IMs and an FM) and Magnus would get few if any elite match-ups. Still, with the next Olympiad being played in Tromso, Norway, I would have thought he might have bit the bullet.
    Two other elite names are not participating, but both for extant health issues. Mr. Excitement himself, and one of my faves, Alexander Morozevich, will not be representing Russia. Nor will Gashimov be representing Azerbajan. Given those two absences, I don't think I'd bet against Armenia winning their 3rd Olympiad of the last 4 (Armenia won in 2006 and 2008 while Ukraine won in 2004 and 2010). That a nation with less than 1/10 the population of Canada can compete with the much larger chess giants is quite astounding.

Re : Conspicuous by their absence

You can find a list of each country's open section participants at the following link:

http://www.chessdom.com/chess-olympi...-participants/

Comment

And here's the link to the distaff teams.

Comment

Re: Re : Conspicuous by their absence

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        And here's the link to the distaff teams.

lol - "distaff"

(from www.dictionary.com)

3. Archaic:
        a. a woman or women collectively.
        b. woman's work.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Conspicuous by their absence

Their teams don't appear to be contenders.

In my experience, there's nothing worse than playing a Team event and knowing no matter how well or poorly you play it isn't likely to make much difference to the final placing of the team.

There are also other considerations for players such as the board they are being asked to play. If you're playing board 4 and probably also board 3 for Canada you aren't likely to get into a GM norm situation. Another consideration.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Their teams don't appear to be contenders.

In my experience, there's nothing worse than playing a Team event and knowing no matter how well or poorly you play it isn't likely to make much difference to the final placing of the team.

There are also other considerations for players such as the board they are being asked to play. If you're playing board 4 and probably also board 3 for Canada you aren't likely to get into a GM norm situation. Another consideration.
            Good point.

I personally think it would be a pity if IM Eric Hansen did not play on the top two boards for Team Canada.

IM Eric Hansen seems to have a current streak of 17-18+ games without a loss. This includes 5-6 2550+ opposition. I would put him on board 1 or 2 so he would have a chance for a GM norm as well.

With all due respect to GM Bator Sambuev, when playing higher level competition he doesn't seem to do as well. However, when playing people around his level or lower he demolishes them. I'd recommend Bator play board 2-3.

IM Eric Hansen is on the rise. It is time for him to show Canada what he can do on board 1-2 and grab a GM norm.

As a side note: with cheerleaders Ms. Botez and Mrs. Orlova around him I am sure he would put in a memorable olympiad performance on and off the board.

Heil Canada!

Norm
            Last edited by Normand Arsenault; Wednesday, 22nd August, 2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Kerry, you might also be amused then that they renamed the Breeders Cup Distaff in 2008 to the Breeders Cup Ladies Classic.

And, from Wikipedia:

The Women's division of the mixed-martial-arts organization EXC (Elite Xtreme Combat) is known as the "Distaff Division".

Comment

The FIDE ratings have also shifted around a bit. Currently: Porper at 2418, Gerzhoy at 2448, Noritsyn & Hansen at 2472, and Sambuev at 2523.

Hansen is also gaining FIDE from his performance at the World Junior (+7.5) and his ongoing tournament at Isthmia 2012 (+7.5) which is currently in round 6.

Having recently won the the Canadian Open, coming tied for 5th in the World Junior, and solidifying his rating as the 2nd highest on the team, I don't see any reason why IM Eric Hansen should not play board 2 and have his chance at a GM norm.

His recent successes speak for themselves, if the rating is not enough. I believe he has earned a spot on board 2.

Comment

Gary, Norway is clearly not a contender. However, I don't think you can say that about an India team that included Anand. They would have a 2693 player on their 3 board and a 2644 player on their 4 board (with a 2640 player in reserve) were Anand to play.
                  Armenia, looking for their 3rd Olympiad gold in the past 4, sports a lower ranked 2 board, a 2697 3 board and 2679 4 board (with a 2657 in reserve). At least at a ratings level, India would be nearly on a par with Armenia. Bear in mind that India finished 6th back in 2004, the last time Anand saw fit to play for his country. And they're clearly a stronger chess nation now.

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                    ...IM Eric Hansen seems to have a current streak of 17-18+ games without a loss...
                    Hansen lost to FM Michael Kleinman at the World Juniors.

GM Sambuev is the Canadian Champion for the second straight term, and he won the last one in a very convincing manner. If that doesn't earn him top spot on the team, then the placement criteria needs to be reviewed.
                    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                      Hansen lost to FM Michael Kleinman at the World Juniors.

GM Sambuev is the Canadian Champion for the second straight term, and he won the last one in a very convincing manner. If that doesn't earn him top spot on the team, then the placement criteria needs to be reviewed.
                      My apologies Mr.Berson. I forgot he lost to Michael Kleinman with a one move blunder. Good catch.

I think at this point it's simple: Hansen and Sambuev on the top two boards. Depending on the opponent and the strategy to be used by the team captain, it might be sometimes useful to put Hansen on the top board.

Great points Mr.Berson.

Norm

Comment

As a side note: with cheerleaders Ms. Botez and Mrs. Orlova around him I am sure he would put in a memorable olympiad performance on and off the board.

Heil Canada!

Norm
                        "Mrs." Orlova?? Surely she is far too young to be married?? Say it ain't so!
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I think at this point it's simple: Hansen and Sambuev on the top two boards. Depending on the opponent and the strategy to be used by the team captain, it might be sometimes useful to put Hansen on the top board.
                          That sounds quite reasonable!
                          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

One of Anand's concerns, and quite possibly Carlsen's as well, are that some of the rules of the Olympiad are too strict. For instance, if a player is one second late, he loses the game by default. That means that players all have to be there by the same time and cannot have any quiet time to reflect before getting to their boards. I know Anand voiced his displeasure about this, however I'm not sure how many other players, top or otherwise, share his concern.

Comment

Offensive post

[............]
                              Last edited by Andrei Botez; Wednesday, 22nd August, 2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X