Question about Employment Possibilities (Not Chess)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Employment Possibilities (Not Chess)

First thing first - this isn't about chess employment, but real-life employment.

I've been having a rough summer in terms of looking for jobs and having little success and it's been driving me a bit insane. I recently graduated from University of Toronto in June of 2012 and since then I've only had one paid internship and am currently unemployed. I have a Bachelor of Business Administration degree and am looking for a full-time entry level position. During school I accumulated a wealth of volunteer and part-time work experiences so my resume does have some quantity and quality to it. My preference would be in the area of marketing and/or finance - something like a marketing assistant to a portfolio manager is kind of like my dream position but at this point, I'd almost take anything that I'm not under-qualified for. My email address is bindi.cheng@utoronto.ca and so if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Another note - I know I tend to troll on here once in a while but I do apologize for anyone that I may have offended in the past and may very well possibly offend in the future.

Also... please don't troll me :(

Thanks, Bindi
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Re: Question about Employment Possibilities (Not Chess)

Are you able to access this service as alumni?

http://www.careers.utoronto.ca/gradBeyond/gses.aspx

Comment

What I can say from experience is that if you are looking for a job in a sector such as finance/marketing, rather than posting your resume on large "job-seeking emporiums" or seeking a general employment in the field, go specific. Companies find it more attractive, and you will find it more successful.

Research which firms/companies interest you, visit their websites to determine if they are hiring and even if they aren't give their HR a call. Look for specific jobs/companies tailored to your specific expertise and what you can offer. Exercise your connections (peers & perhaps your parents and their close friends) because this is how you get your foot in the door. For example, Parliament (in Ottawa) is hiring year-round because of the seasonality of the industry as well as how many employees it needs to function. You can't go wrong putting your resume in the hands of a few people involved in the field you are interested in. Even if they can't get you a job personally, chances are they know someone who can.

Making yourself vulnerable is a good place to start.

Comment

I saw this interesting article earlier this week:

http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/1...n-to-get-a-job
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Mr. Hambleton,

Could you please provide me with some more tips on becoming more vulnerable? I am very interested in pursuing my career.
          i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
            Hi Mr. Hambleton,

Could you please provide me with some more tips on becoming more vulnerable? I am very interested in pursuing my career.
            Hello Mr. Me,

Pursuant to your request, I have taken the time to direct you accordingly. Please see below.

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...2&postcount=50

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              First thing first - this isn't about chess employment, but real-life employment.

I've been having a rough summer in terms of looking for jobs and having little success and it's been driving me a bit insane. I recently graduated from University of Toronto in June of 2012 and since then I've only had one paid internship and am currently unemployed. I have a Bachelor of Business Administration degree and am looking for a full-time entry level position. During school I accumulated a wealth of volunteer and part-time work experiences so my resume does have some quantity and quality to it. My preference would be in the area of marketing and/or finance - something like a marketing assistant to a portfolio manager is kind of like my dream position but at this point, I'd almost take anything that I'm not under-qualified for. My email address is bindi.cheng@utoronto.ca and so if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Another note - I know I tend to troll on here once in a while but I do apologize for anyone that I may have offended in the past and may very well possibly offend in the future.

Also... please don't troll me :(

Thanks, Bindi
              You may want to consider the insurance industry. Perhaps a somewhat similar skill set to your degree. You can work in sales, as a broker, or an adjuster, among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Haynes View Post
                You may want to consider the insurance industry. Perhaps a somewhat similar skill set to your degree. You can work in sales, as a broker, or an adjuster, among other things.
                Good idea. They always have a big turnover. A person can get into the accounting or actuarial end of it and work their way up. Big companies in Toronto and surrounding areas.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful responses,

Ken - Yeah I searched up the university career website. I actually exhausted it a couple of times as that's how I found my internship and some interviews after that. I just find that most of the companies that post there are smaller companies and I haven't had the best experiences with them, although I still keep applying anyway.

Aman - That makes a lot of sense but I'm just hesitant at making a specific resume since I'm not sure if I'll actually really like it or not. I've been asked multiple times why I want to work for this or that company and even though I've always had a good reason behind it, I don't think it's possible to know what career I actually want or what company I want to work for without actually having been part of that for a period of time. I guess when I say I prefer this or that, it's what I think I might be good at but at the end of the day I'm not sure. I still want to explore my options and don't want to limit myself to only those industries. I think if I'm still not making enough headway in the next couple weeks, I'll think about it more heavily.

Chris - Thanks for the article, I've heard polarizing things about Linkedin from others, some people thinks its useless while others think it's great. I'm not sure what my conclusion to it is yet.

Thanks for the suggestion Nicolas - funny story is that I actually had a couple interviews in February while I was still in school with some insurance companies that I met at a job fair but they didn't go so well. I also was supposed to do an assessment test with Allstate but there was a conflict there too. Maybe third time's the charm.

Again, thanks for your responses and emails I've already received. I really appreciate the help - I thought once I get out of university I could find a job easily but it's kind of difficult without connections or something extraordinary happening.

If anyone reading wants to know what I'm willing to do for a full-time entry level position, know that I sacrificed my entire summer in a vicious loop constantly having to work and looking for jobs rather than playing the major chess tournaments in Canada.

Thanks, Bindi
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    Thanks for all the helpful responses,

Ken - Yeah I searched up the university career website. I actually exhausted it a couple of times as that's how I found my internship and some interviews after that. I just find that most of the companies that post there are smaller companies and I haven't had the best experiences with them, although I still keep applying anyway.

Aman - That makes a lot of sense but I'm just hesitant at making a specific resume since I'm not sure if I'll actually really like it or not. I've been asked multiple times why I want to work for this or that company and even though I've always had a good reason behind it, I don't think it's possible to know what career I actually want or what company I want to work for without actually having been part of that for a period of time. I guess when I say I prefer this or that, it's what I think I might be good at but at the end of the day I'm not sure. I still want to explore my options and don't want to limit myself to only those industries. I think if I'm still not making enough headway in the next couple weeks, I'll think about it more heavily.

Chris - Thanks for the article, I've heard polarizing things about Linkedin from others, some people thinks its useless while others think it's great. I'm not sure what my conclusion to it is yet.

Thanks for the suggestion Nicolas - funny story is that I actually had a couple interviews in February while I was still in school with some insurance companies that I met at a job fair but they didn't go so well. I also was supposed to do an assessment test with Allstate but there was a conflict there too. Maybe third time's the charm.

Again, thanks for your responses and emails I've already received. I really appreciate the help - I thought once I get out of university I could find a job easily but it's kind of difficult without connections or something extraordinary happening.

If anyone reading wants to know what I'm willing to do for a full-time entry level position, know that I sacrificed my entire summer in a vicious loop constantly having to work and looking for jobs rather than playing the major chess tournaments in Canada.

Thanks, Bindi
                    Hi Bindi,

I know someone who has an impressive history in sales and he was found 4 months ago on Linkedin by a headhunter.

He now works for the new company and they are bending over backwords for him.

At the end of the day, put yourself out there and then you decide what is best for you :)

Good luck!

Larry

BTW...chess is a very satisfying career in many ways that you do not get elsewhere in life...but it ain't easy :)...been here for 34 years...love it...and if I had a family with kids...I would have gotten a real job long ago :).

My parents always wanted me to get a real job...they are both gone now...not sure they ever understood...but at the end of the day...what makes you happy, is what counts :).

Congrats to Canadians like GM Kevin Spraggett, IM Jean Hebert, IM Tom O'Donnell, FM Roman Pelts, Jeff Coakley, Gilbert Delisle, Youri Otchkous, Mike McArthur, Omar Shah, Liam Henry, Nicolas Metivier, Jean-Gilbert Gaillard, Goran Milicevic and many many others who have realized their dreams throughout the good and bad times!

In my eyes...these are very special folks and we are lucky to have them!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Are you aware of just how much Canadian chess has benefited from your work? Don't sell yourself short... What you have is more than a real job, and I, for one, have personally benefited from your hard work.

Glad to have your chess and business experience on board! (pun intended)

Jordan
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
                      X