CFC campaign in Quebec ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC campaign in Quebec ?

A FQE member has received the followed unsolicited message from Paypal yesterday. A mistake or a voluntary break of the FQE-CFC deal just recently adopted ?

Aug 24, 2012 18:27:37 GMT-04:00
    Hello Hugues Massé,

Chess Federation of Canada would like to be paid through PayPal.
    Merchant
    Chess Federation of Canada Note from merchant
    CFC Annual Membership - Adult
    Description Amount
    Service $38.00 CAD
    Total $38.00 CAD
    Last edited by Jean Hébert; Saturday, 25th August, 2012, 02:31 PM.

Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    A FQE member has received the followed unsolicited message from Paypal yesterday. A mistake or a voluntary break of the FQE-CFC deal just recently adopted ?

Aug 24, 2012 18:27:37 GMT-04:00
    Hello Hugues Massé,

Chess Federation of Canada would like to be paid through PayPal.
    Merchant
    Chess Federation of Canada Note from merchant
    CFC Annual Membership - Adult
    Description Amount
    Service $38.00 CAD
    Total $38.00 CAD
    Interesting as what you are suggesting would also be a likely violation of Paypal rules regarding using Paypal to send unsolicited payment demands. It would also mean the CFC has some way of identifying the Paypal accounts of all FQE members. So I find this hard to believe. Perhaps Hugues Masse can shed more light on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      Interesting as what you are suggesting would also be a likely violation of Paypal rules regarding using Paypal to send unsolicited payment demands. It would also mean the CFC has some way of identifying the Paypal accounts of all FQE members. So I find this hard to believe. Perhaps Hugues Masse can shed more light on this.
      It's an automated renewal notice. His CFC membership expires Sept 1.

Having said that, I'm sure some will say we shouldn't be sending these to our Quebec members, any more.

I don't dictate business policy, but I'm sure this will be looked at, now that it has been pointed out.

Comment

I think it is simple.

The CFC set up their Paypal account so that when a member is due to expire, they receive a renewal notice via Paypal. When they struck this deal with the FQE, no one at the CFC realized that they would have to modify their Paypal account so that Quebec players are no longer sollicited.

Now that Jean has kindly brought this issue to the table, I am sure that within a few days everything will be modified in accordance with the new agreement.

I think this is a minor hiccup that will be fixed rather quickly....but had Jean not pointed it out...it could have gone on for a long long time :).

I remember when we bought the CMA headquarters on St. Denis in Montreal. We had 3 public telephones at our location (in a previous life our building was a medical clinic). At some point...about a year after the purchase, we wanted to eliminate them. So I called Bell. They looked at the file. They said (at that time) we were making about $500 in commissions per year on these phones and was I sure I wanted to do this. Ummm...I said...we never saw a penny of that money....it turned out that the owner from 1989 was still receiving these royalties :). Everything got sorted out and the money began to flow to us. Of course today, most people have cell phones...and we only have 1 public phone left on our premises which...brings in very little :). My point is that when we make changes, we don't know all the things that effect these changes :).

By Jean pointing this out today, I am sure this practice will end in no time...had he said nothing...it could have gone on for...years :)

Larry

Comment

It wasn't unsolicited if he was already a member, which seems to be the case.

Interesting also that Zeljko immediately pounces on this as some kind of heinous crime.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post

Interesting also that Zeljko immediately pounces on this as some kind of heinous crime.
            If you read my comments correctly and not hypothetically what I was suggesting is that Jean was not correct that this was an attempt to solicit FQE members in general by the CFC as part of an overall campaign to get FQE members to join the CFC. For him to be correct it would have had to have amounted to something very much against the rules that the CFC always plays by. The line 'I find this hard to believe' should have been the tip off. And yes as you pointed out it was not unsolicited so we are both right.
            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 25th August, 2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              In the mind of the member it was clearly unsolicited. I don't see how subscribing to something would make a renewal notice of that kind "solicited".

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

In the mind of the member it was clearly unsolicited. I don't see how subscribing to something would make a renewal notice of that kind "solicited".
                well for example under the do not call rules those with a prior business relationship are exempt as it is not considered unsolicited

this is no different really to receiving a renewal notice in the mail for New In Chess when you currently subscribe to the publication

or in your case probably a renewal notice for 'Make a Mountain out of a Molehill' weekly
                Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 25th August, 2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

well for example under the do not call rules those with a prior business relationship are exempt as it is not considered unsolicited this is no different really to receiving a renewal notice in the mail for New In Chess when you currently subscribe to the publication

or in your case probably a renewal notice for 'Make a Mountain out of a Molehill' weekly
                  There is clearly a difference between a renewal notice and "a request to be paid through Paypal" which goes against a just completed deal. This coupled with the apparent reluctance from CFC organizers (see other thread) to advertize their events as requiring CFC membership or FQE membership for Quebec residents show some ajustment difficulties. Picking up the money is the easy part, living through the consequences may be a bit more demanding. Better to take care of the molehills before they become mountains.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

There is clearly a difference between a renewal notice and "a request to be paid through Paypal" which goes against a just completed deal.
                    The message is used for a long period of time. Two or three years already. When I thought it the first time - it was kicked to a spam box :D
                    I would be suprised if more than one people made the decision what the text must be written. And now it is twisted as the treachury :D

Comment

Jean,

To be clear, that is not a message from PayPal, it's a message from the CFC. I receive e-mails like these all the time when I purchase items online for my business

You run a magazine. When there is a subscription that is coming up for renewal, would you not send a renewal notice so that there would be no gap in subscription?

Jordan
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re : Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post

You run a magazine. When there is a subscription that is coming up for renewal, would you not send a renewal notice so that there would be no gap in subscription?

Jordan
                        Jordan,
                        Like many people you seem to be unaware of the implications of the new FQE-CFC deal. There is no renewal to be sent to Quebec residents regarding CFC membership anymore. The FQE membership include both the right to play in CFC events across Canada and the CFC e-zine. Buying a CFC membership for a Quebec resident would be absolutely pointless : he needs to pay for a FQE membership to play chess in Quebec anyway.
                        In the spirit of "good faith" that has been invoked many times on both sides of that deal, the CFC should make things clear by now that any Quebec resident buying a CFC membership by mistake would be automatically reimbursed. Actually to be consistent, CFC tournament organizers should start selling FQE membership whenever they deal with Quebec players. And vice-versa, of course.

Comment

Although I admittedly am not aware of why the CFC chose to come to the agreement it did with Quebec, it strikes me as completely absurd.

It's not the Ontario Chess Federation or Alberta Chess Federation or New Brunswick Chess Federation. It's the Chess Federation of Canada.

It's absurd to have a Quebec only rating system, and even more so that the rest of the country (via its governing body) would be okay with an arrangement like the one that is in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
                            It's absurd to have a Quebec only rating system, and even more so that the rest of the country (via its governing body) would be okay with an arrangement like the one that is in place.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CFC campaign in Quebec ?

There is no renewal to be sent to Quebec residents regarding CFC membership anymore.
                              Well Jean, like you, me, and every other person and organization on this planet, no one is perfect. That being the case, I'd say with great certainty that this was either a technical error, or an administrative one. Yes, an error that is annoying to the recipient, but errors happen. I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

Jordan
                              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
                              X