Olympiad Arbiters in Istanbul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad Arbiters in Istanbul

In another thread, I noticed Aris Marghetis mentioned he was at the airport... that got me wondering...

Sure enough, he is on his way to be an arbiter at the Olympiad!
    Congratulations Aris! Enjoy your "work" and cheer on our teams (I presume you would be prohibited from overseeing any matches where Canada was involved).

see list:

http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...nts/principals
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Olympiad Arbiters in Istanbul

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    In another thread, I noticed Aris Marghetis mentioned he was at the airport... that got me wondering...

Sure enough, he is on his way to be an arbiter at the Olympiad!
    Congratulations Aris! Enjoy your "work" and cheer on our teams (I presume you would be prohibited from overseeing any matches where Canada was involved).

see list:

http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...nts/principals
    Hi Kerry, thanks for the kind words! Yes, I was a late addition to the Olympiad. Due to the lateness of the offer, I was not able to book a direct flight, like the rest of the Canadian team did, from Montreal to Istanbul. Instead, I got Ottawa to Newark to Munich to Istanbul, with less than an hour to change planes on both flight changes!

So, I squeezed two weeks of clothes into just two carry-on bags, in blatant defiance of the laws of physics, lol. But when I get to the Ottawa airport, the United lady calmly announces that my flight is "suddenly" 90 minutes late. My heart just sinks, as this means that I will be over a day late. However, 30 minutes later, she finds an even better option, where I leave from Ottawa 90 minutes late, but then get a later flight from Newark DIRECT to Istanbul, woohoo! I mistakenly feel I'm in the clear! ;)

The flight out of Newark is scheduled for 730pm, and that is when we board, which doesn't seem too late. Well, we sit on the tarmac for FOUR HOURS. The heat is so bad, that I am giving up my seat near first class (which has much better ventilation) to a poor woman with a feverish infant. We finally fly out at 1130pm, for a 9-hour flight. In other words, I am on that blessed plane for 13 hours straight, ouch! :(

However, when I land in Turkey, everything improves. The have tons of volunteers taking care of everything, and so far, I love the look of Istanbul. There are flowers everywhere, and the architecture is a nice meld between the old and the new, with a very appealing roof colour standard shade of brown, which looks nice from above.

I miss the Arbiters Meeting, which had been scheduled for 12noon, but I go into an information-searching mode, and it seems I am under the direction of the Senior Russian Arbiter, on the top boards in the Open Section. If this is correct, I fell very honoured! It was also tremendous fun to bump into Hal and other Canadians! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      Hi Kerry, thanks for the kind words! Yes, I was a late addition to the Olympiad. Due to the lateness of the offer, I was not able to book a direct flight, like the rest of the Canadian team did, from Montreal to Istanbul. Instead, I got Ottawa to Newark to Munich to Istanbul, with less than an hour to change planes on both flight changes!

So, I squeezed two weeks of clothes into just two carry-on bags, in blatant defiance of the laws of physics, lol. But when I get to the Ottawa airport, the United lady calmly announces that my flight is "suddenly" 90 minutes late. My heart just sinks, as this means that I will be over a day late. However, 30 minutes later, she finds an even better option, where I leave from Ottawa 90 minutes late, but then get a later flight from Newark DIRECT to Istanbul, woohoo! I mistakenly feel I'm in the clear! ;)

The flight out of Newark is scheduled for 730pm, and that is when we board, which doesn't seem too late. Well, we sit on the tarmac for FOUR HOURS. The heat is so bad, that I am giving up my seat near first class (which has much better ventilation) to a poor woman with a feverish infant. We finally fly out at 1130pm, for a 9-hour flight. In other words, I am on that blessed plane for 13 hours straight, ouch! :(

However, when I land in Turkey, everything improves. The have tons of volunteers taking care of everything, and so far, I love the look of Istanbul. There are flowers everywhere, and the architecture is a nice meld between the old and the new, with a very appealing roof colour standard shade of brown, which looks nice from above.

I miss the Arbiters Meeting, which had been scheduled for 12noon, but I go into an information-searching mode, and it seems I am under the direction of the Senior Russian Arbiter, on the top boards in the Open Section. If this is correct, I fell very honoured! It was also tremendous fun to bump into Hal and other Canadians! :)
      I look forward to hearing about more of your adventures! I didn't realize Hal was going? Perhaps there are FIDE meetings at the same time? Anyway, be sure to pass along all our good wishes.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I look forward to hearing about more of your adventures! I didn't realize Hal was going? Perhaps there are FIDE meetings at the same time? Anyway, be sure to pass along all our good wishes.
        Hal is going for the Congress.

Comment

I got word in Moscow that there would be no Arbiting job for me in Istanbul. Being an Olympic match Arbiter after a World Championwship match is beneath my standing(???), and the Sector positions were promised to others. Actually I was pleased to hear that, particularly when Aris' nomination was accepted - or so I was told. Somehow his appointment was delayed until rather late in the countdown. He will do a great job - and he looks the part in his dapper duds.

Canada's FIDE Rep always attends the Olympiad for the Congress. I am not aware of any exceptions though there may be one or two. I look forward to working the room without having Arbiting duties al well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            Being an Olympic match Arbiter after a World Championwship match is beneath my standing(???)
            Take that as a major compliment... not too many people on this planet are over-qualified to be an Olympic Arbiter :D
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

That's awesome, Aris and Hal!
              Bring back stories ;)

Comment

Thanks Jordan - I have no illusions. I think it was a use of flattery to quell any possible disappointment.

I made a miscalculation with by bringables, leaving my camera at home in favour of my IPhone/camera. ERROR. No phones allowed in the playing or spectator area.

Our delegation walked to the venue today, arriving at 2:37. It was clear from the crowd outside that the round would not start on time. Once inside, there was an even narrower entry point for the players. At 3:10 there was still a queue of players waiting to enter the hall. Chief Takis showed excellent judgement by delaying the start of the round accordingly.

For today atleast, most if not all match Arbiters were wearing read and white golf type shirts. They look sharp enough, the suit Aris brought is much nicer.

Comment

Who is the guy in red? ;)

Comment

Hi Andrei, I can't access the attachment from here, but it might be fine, as our hotel connection can be flaky. Anyways, saw your daughter just before dinner tonight. I found her, and pretty well everyone on both teams, to be in great moods, > 2 x 4-0!

Comment

I had Board 5 today, Jordan-USA, and it was 0-4, rather expected, as Jordan had 1 IM and 3 FMs, vs. 4 very strong Americans. I sat closest to USA GM Robson, only 17!

As Hal pointed out in another post, security checks delayed the start of the round. I arrived onsite almost 2 hours early, and had to go through 2 detector machines, and a thorough pat-down! There are detector machines everywhere here, hotels, etc.

I loved the ratio of just 4 games per arbiter, letting me really get into the games as a fan! Whereas my match was lopsided, I found all 8 players to be very earnest and sportsmanlike, engaging each other as they walked away, on key positions, moves.

But with only 4 boards per arbiter, and the snack-drinks area being something like a quarter-km away, lol, I could not bring myself to take any breaks. Hal saved me by sneaking a Turkish Pepsi across the spectator barrier! After my match ended rather early, I went to visit Hal in his hotel (European side of Istanbul, minutes away from the playing site), and we shared some beverages and fun (some nutso) stories! We chatted and/or dined with almost everyone on both teams, and the energy and mood of your Canadian teams seemed great! By the time Hal and I strolled back to the site so that I could grab the last bus to my hotel (about 15 minute drive), Eric et al were already working on tomorrow. I was very impressed today with every single member of the Canadian delegation that I met, from the playing floor to dinner to just chatting over a beer. Canada, I hope, and believe, our teams will do you proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                        Hi Andrei, I can't access the attachment from here, but it might be fine, as our hotel connection can be flaky. Anyways, saw your daughter just before dinner tonight. I found her, and pretty well everyone on both teams, to be in great moods, > 2 x 4-0!
                        I emailed you 2 pictures. I am happy that our players are a team, that will help their chess during the olympiad for sure.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                          I emailed you 2 pictures. I am happy that our players are a team, that will help their chess during the olympiad for sure.

All the best
                          Thanks, got them. The American team was very personable and easy to chat with.

Comment

Working...
                          X