2013 Can.Open - website suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Can.Open - website suggestions?

This thread is to collect suggestions for the 2013 Canadian Open website.

If you want, you can treat this thread as a "wish list", but you should expect your biggest wishes to be disappointed. e.g. no hi-def video like Moscow, no Robert Fontaine post-round videos :(

The four main functions of the website will be:
    - convey basic info about the event (dates, location, etc.);
    - collect entry fees;
    - show pairings and standings during the event;
    - have some of the top games live on-line.

If you have experience as a playing participant or just as an on-line spectator, tell us what you think about the tournament websites you have used. What worked well, and what didn't?

e.g. how well did the on-line EF collection work?
    e.g. for live game coverage, what did you think about these web service:
    www.monroi.com; www.livechess.chessdom.com;www.chess-results.com

If you'd rather not report you opinion publicly, you can PM me.

Thanks,

Re: 2013 Can.Open - website suggestions?

Surprisingly, I've never actually paid for a touranment online before - I usually email my registration and pay onsite. That being said, I use PayPal all the time, and imo its the safest, easiest and best option for collecting online fees of any sort.

I think Chess-results needs to be used for every single tournament, because of the countless useful statistics it provides, as well as a clean display of pairings & results. It's used for nearly everything in Europe and I think it should be in Canada as well.

Chessbomb was used for the WJCC relay games, and I personally really liked it. It's helpful to have a light computer evaluation given below the board, as well as a nice interface to view the game on. I would suggest this or another DGT function, those are always flawless. Monroi is full of glitches/incorrect display and I always dread having to review games via that medium.

Comment

PGN files for each round should be available as soon as humanly possible after each round. I don't mean all 100 boards in a 200-player event - but at least the top 10-20 boards (with the remainder available within a month or so after the end of the tournament). ALL games should be recorded for posterity.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
        This thread is to collect suggestions for the 2013 Canadian Open website.
        my several cents

From a spectacular's point:
        It was already mentioned >> chess-results for results
        Live games - with possibility to get a PGN after the game (Monroi allows that)
        Photos - more than 10 per round :p
        a blog with all gossips and game commentaries :D

As a player (probably not me):
        - What to visit during the stay
        - Closed hotels/hostels/restaurants/coffes/bars and pubs (+ some special discounts for participants) + parks
        - Simple explained a transit system + how to get from an airport + main highways (maybe car-rentals)
        + a little bit history of the Open (in Ottawa)

Comment

bump

Thanks for the replies so far... ...still hoping for a few more

Comment

Maybe not relevant to the website - but:

Encourage on-site spectators, and provide comfortable seating for them. Have displays of the top boards in the hall, as well as in a separate room, with commentary by a strong player. The last Open in Ottawa (2007?) was the most "spectator-unfriendly" tournament I have ever experienced - you needed special permission (as a non-player) to enter the hall.

Contact Luc Forget in Montreal about getting use of his four DGT boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              Maybe not relevant to the website - but:

Encourage on-site spectators, and provide comfortable seating for them. Have displays of the top boards in the hall, as well as in a separate room, with commentary by a strong player. The last Open in Ottawa (2007?) was the most "spectator-unfriendly" tournament I have ever experienced - you needed special permission (as a non-player) to enter the hall.

Contact Luc Forget in Montreal about getting use of his four DGT boards.
              But they did have a separate room where IM D. Hergott would be analyzing live feed transmitted from the monroi / DGT boards, and anyone could walk in there.
              Which was quite neat.

Comment

Working...
              X