Random Question re: Grandmasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random Question re: Grandmasters

The problem with the proposed SuperGM title is they want it to just be a more difficult version of GM. The last serious proposal I saw was: 27 games worth of norms at 2800+ and a rating of 2700.

That looks fine - now - but what happens as ratings continue to spread outwards? Whether that be via inflation or via increasing the number of people playing chess, the top ratings will continue to increase as they have been already.

Take Kevin Spraggett for example... once a Candidate, even in the late 90s I recall him being in the Top 100 ratings in the world... but he was never over 2600 until much more recently, despite only being around 200th in the world at the time. Perfect example of ratings spread. Note that he would actually be a "GM" under my concept as he made it to the quarterfinals of the Candidates.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
      Roger,

Not sure which post you were reading, but mine said "IMHO, a player should have to keep up certain standards over a period of time in order to maintain a title." There's no mention of rating in my post, or anything about inactive players.

If you want to have a discussion about my opinions, then please don't start by making assumptions and putting words in my mouth... or keyboard for that matter.

Jordan
      well, I did assume that "certain standards" included a rating floor. Offhand, I can't think what you mean by "certain standards" if you don't mean rating. Maybe you should define your terms.

Comment

but mine said "IMHO, a player should have to keep up certain standards over a period of time in order to maintain a title." There's no mention of rating in my post, or anything about inactive players.
        When will Kasparov be stripped off his GM title in the Jordan's world? :D

Comment

There are players who are awarded the titles that are clearly weaker than the titles suggest. IMHO, a player should have to keep up certain standards over a period of time in order to maintain a title.
          You'd also, then, like to have those who have earned PhDs continue to demonstrate their academic prowess or be stripped of their Dr. titles, engineers their brass rings, lowly erstwhile poly-sci majors the letters after their names... Maybe even Olympic athletes their gold medals, etc.
          Marcus Wilker
          Annex Chess Club
          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
            This occurred to me after noticing that IM Eric Hansen (2472) was stronger than his opponent GM Handzar Odeev (2397)....

Is it possible to lose a title of Grandmaster (or for that matter, IM or FM) once it has been achieved? From my quick Wikipedia search, I think the answer is IM/GM are lifetime titles whereas FM is not. Is this correct?

It seems strange to think one could have Grandmasters in competitive or amateur chess, who, because of natural declines, may be shadows of their former strength.
            Matthew, chess titles are there to reflect specific accomplishments not to indicate playing strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              well, I did assume that "certain standards" included a rating floor. Offhand, I can't think what you mean by "certain standards" if you don't mean rating. Maybe you should define your terms.
              Roger,

I have not thought of any terms as of yet. The only thing tinkering around my head is that if a player needs three GM norms within a certain period to become a GM, then maybe players should still need to satisfy one norm within the same timeframe to keep it...

On retirement, if a player has a title, then he keeps it. That I agree with.

These are all just ideas, not suggestions. A rating floor should be lower than 2500. If you need to attain 2500 to get the GM title, then maybe a player who drops below 2400 for 24+ games should lose it... just an idea.

Jordan
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Roger,

I have not thought of any terms as of yet. The only thing tinkering around my head is that if a player needs three GM norms within a certain period to become a GM, then maybe players should still need to satisfy one norm within the same timeframe to keep it...

On retirement, if a player has a title, then he keeps it. That I agree with.

These are all just ideas, not suggestions. A rating floor should be lower than 2500. If you need to attain 2500 to get the GM title, then maybe a player who drops below 2400 for 24+ games should lose it... just an idea.

Jordan
                You do realize that introducing this idea would actually discourage the living legends of the game from continuing to play, right?
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

This is a dumb thread. If you guys wanted a title so badly, just go to Hungary or one of those countries with a couple thousand dollars and then you can get all the titles your heart desires. In the meantime, leave players past their prime alone. They worked hard to get that title in the first place and it's no fault of their own their play got worse as they got old. It's called LIFE.
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                  X