12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE! CYCC Ashley Tapp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE! CYCC Ashley Tapp!

12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE

Ashley Tapp raises funds for world event by taking on all comers, including a Sun staffer - raising funds for her trip to the World Youth Chess Championship in Slovenia. :)

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/yea...#ixzz24yseuoIq

Re: 12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE! CYCC Ashley Tapp!

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE

Ashley Tapp raises funds for world event by taking on all comers, including a Sun staffer - raising funds for her trip to the World Youth Chess Championship in Slovenia. :)

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/yea...#ixzz24yseuoIq
    Is this the same Ashley Tapp who according to the CFC currently boasts a 1330 rating? It doesn't seem that prodigal to me. I admit, she's a strong player given her age, but, isn't the real prodigy someone like Qiyu Zhou, who bested Tapp in the 2012 Canadian Youth Championship (Under 12 Girls), and currently has a 1992 rating?

That's not to say I want to discourage Tapp from doing what she's doing - I don't, it's good to encourage youth to play chess, both because it teaches valuable skills and because it truly is a great game. I just feel like "prodigy" is being thrown around a little lightly here.

EDIT: In re-reading the article, I don't see the word prodigy. Not sure where it came from. Maybe it was part of the video. Now I feel like my comments are off topic. Hm.

EDIT #2: Oh, I found it... Lazy journalism here: http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local.../20146866.html, is what started this whole line of inquiry as to whether she really was a "prodigy". I think I looked up her rating first expecting to be impressed, then was surprised it was so low, so I looked up the tournament I assumed she was Champion of (the U12), and then discovered that Qiyu Zhou was simply far better. Then I became critical of lazy journalism.
    Last edited by Matthew Scott; Wednesday, 29th August, 2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Re: 12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE! CYCC Ashley Tapp!

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
      Is this the same Ashley Tapp who according to the CFC currently boasts a 1330 rating? It doesn't seem that prodigal to me. I admit, she's a strong player given her age, but, isn't the real prodigy someone like Qiyu Zhou, who bested Tapp in the 2012 Canadian Youth Championship (Under 12 Girls), and currently has a 1992 rating?

That's not to say I want to discourage Tapp from doing what she's doing - I don't, it's good to encourage youth to play chess, both because it teaches valuable skills and because it truly is a great game. I just feel like "prodigy" is being thrown around a little lightly here.

EDIT: In re-reading the article, I don't see the word prodigy. Not sure where it came from. Maybe it was part of the video. Now I feel like my comments are off topic. Hm.

EDIT #2: Oh, I found it... Lazy journalism here: http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local.../20146866.html, is what started this whole line of inquiry as to whether she really was a "prodigy". I think I looked up her rating first expecting to be impressed, then was surprised it was so low, so I looked up the tournament I assumed she was Champion of (the U12), and then discovered that Qiyu Zhou was simply far better. Then I became critical of lazy journalism.
      I have to disagree on this one.

Just about everybody is called a chess master when an article about their chess exploits appears in the mainstream media. This is no different.

Luckily the media being generated is good for chess in the Vancouver area and helps Ashley raise money for her trip.

Comment

The word "prodigy" is thrown around way too much in general these days, IMHO. Not just in chess.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Just about everybody is called a chess master when an article about their chess exploits appears in the mainstream media. This is no different.

Luckily the media being generated is good for chess in the Vancouver area and helps Ashley raise money for her trip.
          Is it really good for chess though?

I mean - keep in mind - a 1300 rated player is barely above club strength. It's quite possible that people could come out and beat her, particularly if they ever played chess in a tournament, but even if they haven't.

It's different when the player is 2000 rated - and the odds of them losing to someone off the street are about zero.

As an aside, I agree with the proposition prodigy is over used.

Comment

Re : Re: 12-year-old chess champion takes on all challengers at PNE! CYCC Ashley Tapp

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

On point, Fred, here's another "master" licentia poetica posted at Susan Polgar's blog today - albeit I do note, lol, the title suggests the word might also be synonymous with "nerd" (i.e. "closet chess nerd" and "secret chess master"):

Carly Rae Jepsen never tours without her board

Carly Rae Jepsen - Carly Rae Jepsen Is A Closet Chess Nerd
            30 August 2012 01:36

Pop sensation Carly Rae Jepsen is a secret chess master who never tours without her board and set.

The Call Me Maybe singer admits she grew up solving game puzzles that her stepfather left her as he left home for work.

She tells Rolling Stone magazine, "My stepfather used to teach it... (and) he'd put out a chess problem for me to solve. In high school I had a big crush on a boy who played chess, and I thought, 'This is going to be useful'."

Source: http://www.contactmusic.com

Comment

Working...
            X