GM Rozentalis in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Rozentalis in Canada?

I just read at the USCF site that GM Rozentalis has recently moved to Canada, according to IM Donaldson. Can anyone confirm this?

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/11865/658/

Re: GM Rozentalis in Canada?

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict an unprecedented influx of foreign grandmasters to Canada in the next five years. With the economy in a number of Europe's countries going down the tubes, with Israel threatened by nukes from Iran, Canada must seem a safe haven despite our lack of pro-friendly chess tournaments. Now is the time to work on improving our chess-friendliness for the new arrivals. I for one will do what I can to grow the weekly Rapid on Saturdays. I see no reason why the other major chess cities don't hold weekly rapids or at least blitz events. Granted this will not allow someone to make a living from them but at least it will provide a regular 'chess fix'. And if you do get a regular GM participant, the serious students of the game will have to attend in order to sharpen their game. So, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - get with it!

Comment

Not to mention we're still reasonably easy on the immigration laws even with recent changes.... and I don't think we've ever had an all-GM Olympiad team either!
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Is that information ... confirmed? Any news about it!?
        :)

Comment

Re: GM Rozentalis in Canada - according to Donaldson!?

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
          Is that information ... confirmed? Any news about it!?
          :)

At the beginning of the day, that result may not have been too surprising, since the Lithuanian team arrived in Istanbul with a much weaker squad than in prior editions. In the past, the country has given the Americans fits. GM Edward Rozentalis, who had played board one in nearly every Olympiad of his country's two decade existence, recently moved to Canada according to Donaldson. Several other of their grandmasters are also off the team, meaning Nakamura's opponent was the team's lone GM (in 2002 and 2004 the U.S. could only muster drawn matches against Lithuania, despite outrating them on all boards both times, though America did win their 1994 encounter).

From USCF - http://main.uschess.org/content/view/11865/658/

CFC Rating Database still shows GM Rozentalis from Lithuania!
          http://www.chess.ca/players?check_ra...ame=rozentalis

He did play 3 major FIDE events in Canada in July!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
            GM Rozentalis has recently moved to Canada, according to IM Donaldson. Can anyone confirm this?
            Eduardas denies this.

Comment

Working...
            X