Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammer

galaxys3case

why is this account still active? Why/how did it ever get activated?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Spammer

As moderator I don't think I can delete accounts. I just delete the offending threads and provide a brief explanation. I get e mail notices and it's not too difficult to follow up within a day or so. Sometimes I'm quicker.

The Admin of this board is Larry Bevand. If you think more could be done, then send him an angry note and he's sure to reply.

OK. I'm kidding!!
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      As moderator I don't think I can delete accounts. I just delete the offending threads and provide a brief explanation. I get e mail notices and it's not too difficult to follow up within a day or so. Sometimes I'm quicker.

The Admin of this board is Larry Bevand. If you think more could be done, then send him an angry note and he's sure to reply.

OK. I'm kidding!!
      Thanks Nigel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Thanks Nigel.
        Hi Kerry,

I can give you full access and maybe you can figure out how to do it. I have recently figured out how to ban someone once they have posted...

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hi Kerry,

I can give you full access and maybe you can figure out how to do it. I have recently figured out how to ban someone once they have posted...

Larry
          I appreciate your trust and the offer, but what I meant was this: I thought to get an account, you had to register and somehow "prove" you are whoever you claim to be... It seems the recent spammer got past that requirement. Maybe they found a way to post comments without being legitimately registered. In any case, I don't have any particular familiarity with vBulletin or whatever forum software is in use - perhaps it can be exploited (like almost all software) and some spammer has just been looking around for vulnerable versions of it?

We don't get much spam and it certainly stands out when we do, so I guess we should just say we are lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I appreciate your trust and the offer, but what I meant was this: I thought to get an account, you had to register and somehow "prove" you are whoever you claim to be... It seems the recent spammer got past that requirement. Maybe they found a way to post comments without being legitimately registered. In any case, I don't have any particular familiarity with vBulletin or whatever forum software is in use - perhaps it can be exploited (like almost all software) and some spammer has just been looking around for vulnerable versions of it?

We don't get much spam and it certainly stands out when we do, so I guess we should just say we are lucky!

Hi Kerry,

What I was told a while back (if memory serves me right), there is whole in the registration process. At one point we even shut down new registrations completely.

At this point, I can usually shut down spammers pretty quickly....after they have spammed LOL

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X