2012-13 Canadian Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012-13 Canadian Junior

As announced earlier, the Chess'n Math Asociation will be organizing this event for the Chess Federation of Canada.

6 of the places in this 10 player event, go to the top 6 CFC rated Canadian Juniors as of September 1, 2012.

As of today, these players would be:

Richard Wang, Edmonton, Alberta. Rating: 2477
    Roman Sapozhnikov, Richmond Hill, Ontario. Rating: 2470
    Arthur Calugar, Toronto, Ontario. Rating: 2429
    Joey Qin, Nepean, Ontario. Rating: 2422
    Louie Jiang, Verdun, Quebec. Rating: 2421
    Alexander Martchenko, Etobicoke, Ontario. Rating: 2400

3 players are determined by the Chess'n Math Association
    1 player is determined by the Quebec Chess Federation

Details:

City: Toronto (near Chess'n Math)

Registration: FREE. Must pay a $200 deposit (to be reimbursed if they take part and complete all the games in their tournament); IM's get additional funding.

Dates: December 26 - December 31 2012

Format: 10 player round robin event.

Time control: 120 minutes + 30 sec increment

Rounds: 9 rounds - 10 am and 4 pm each day except Dec. 28 and Dec 31 when there is only one round at 10:00 am.

Playoffs: Playoffs if necessary after the last round with accelerated time control.

Rated by: FIDE, CFC and CMA

Equipment provided: Everything

Prize fund: Trophies to the top 3. The winner is provided with airfare to the 2013 World Junior and airfare for his or her coach....plus $1,000 for training between the time the youngster wins the Canadian Junior and the start of the World Junior. All of the original 6 players determined by CFC rating who take part ...we will give each of them a $100 gift certificate at Strategy Games.

ACCOMMODATION: Provided free to players living more than 120 km from Toronto.

Re: 2012-13 Canadian Junior

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    As announced earlier, the Chess'n Math Asociation will be organizing this event for the Chess Federation of Canada.

6 of the places in this 10 player event, go to the top 6 CFC rated Canadian Juniors as of September 1, 2012.

As of today, these players would be:

Richard Wang, Edmonton, Alberta. Rating: 2477
    Roman Sapozhnikov, Richmond Hill, Ontario. Rating: 2470
    Arthur Calugar, Toronto, Ontario. Rating: 2429
    Joey Qin, Nepean, Ontario. Rating: 2422
    Louie Jiang, Verdun, Quebec. Rating: 2421
    Alexander Martchenko, Etobicoke, Ontario. Rating: 2400

3 players are determined by the Chess'n Math Association
    1 player is determined by the Quebec Chess Federation

Details:

City: Toronto (near Chess'n Math)

Registration: FREE. Must pay a $200 deposit (to be reimbursed if they take part and complete all the games in their tournament); IM's get additional funding.

Dates: December 26 - December 31 2012

Format: 10 player round robin event.

Time control: 120 minutes + 30 sec increment

Rounds: 9 rounds - 10 am and 4 pm each day except Dec. 27, Dec 29 and Dec 31 when there is only one round at 10:00 am.

Playoffs: Playoffs if necessary after the last round with accelerated time control.

Rated by: FIDE, CFC and CMA

Equipment provided: Everything

Prize fund: Trophies to the top 3. The winner is provided with airfare to the 2013 World Junior and airfare for his or her coach....plus $1,000 for training between the time the youngster wins the Canadian Junior and the start of the World Junior. All of the original 6 players determined by CFC rating who take part ...we will give each of them a $100 gift certificate at Strategy Games.

ACCOMMODATION: Provided free to players living more than 120 km from Toronto.
    As of today, I have confirmation from 5 of the 6 top CFC rated Canadian Juniors for this event! Arthur Calugar is at Dallas University and he may have obligations to play in the Pan-Am...we will know shortly. I am extremely happy with this response from our top young players!

Chess'n Math has 3 spots and the FQE has 1 to complete the field. We will be holding the event at the Britton House...(thanks to some fine negotiating by CMA Toronto Regional Coordinator Francis Rodrigues) which is located opposite Chess'n Math. Players from out of town will be staying at the beautiful Roehampton Hotel which is a 2 minute walk to the site.

It is safe to say that the 2012-13 Canadian Junior will be the strongest Canadian Junior Championship in years!

Larry Bevand
    Executive Director
    Chess'n Math Association

Comment

Hi Larry,
      When will the 3 spots of CMA and 1 spot of FQE be decided? and what is the process of selecting these 4 players?

Thanks,

Comment

Larry, you might keep a spot open for Jason Cao depending how he does in the World Youth tournament next month? He just attained 2212 CFC by winning the Vancouver Open with a 5-1 score.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
          Hi Larry,
          When will the 3 spots of CMA and 1 spot of FQE be decided? and what is the process of selecting these 4 players?

Thanks,
          Hi Robert,

Sorry I am taking so long on this. Before I left on vacation, I contacted the youngsters who qualified by CFC rating and I got green lights from everyone except Arthur Calugar...so I wrote everyone to ask that they submit their deposit of $200 by September 30. I got back on Oct. 6 and I was still missing cheques from Alexander, Roman and Louie. So I sent out e-mails again. Alex said he can't make it and both Roman and Louie have been silent. It took me a week to catch up on paperwork and tomorrow I will do some follow-up. I appreciate the patience of all those who are on the cusp of participation...bare with me a few more days please. Once I can tie down the CFC reps then I can get on to the rest of this. There is no doubt that Nikita will qualify as an FQE rep. I will be e-mailing him tomorrow. Also Michael Kleinman will be taking part.

The event will be held at the luxurious Britton House opposite Chess'n Math. Players from out of town will be put up at the superb Roehampton Hotel...a two minute walk from the tournament site...and a buffet breakfest is included!

So As of today I have received deposits from:

Richard Wang (IM elect)
          Joey Qin
          Michael Kleinman

and this represents the official entry list as of today.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Larry, you might keep a spot open for Jason Cao depending how he does in the World Youth tournament next month? He just attained 2212 CFC by winning the Vancouver Open with a 5-1 score.
            Thanks Vlad!

Jason has been a great supporter of CMA events in the past and he is certainly on our short list!

Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry. ;) Hopefully the entry list can be decided sooner than later since the tournament is during holiday period. People are starting to make holiday schedule (either chess or vocation). Is Michael Song in your short list?

Comment

Hi Larry,

If you have not recieved my cheque can I make a wire transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Sapozhnikov View Post
                  Hi Larry,

If you have not recieved my cheque can I make a wire transfer?
                  Hi Roman,

Why don't you just drop the money off at our Toronto location this week? If that is not possible, then send me an e-mail. We have to clean this matter up by the end of the week. My post on Chesstalk also awakened Louie who is onside and will be getting his deposit in this week. So basically the next step is to go down the CFC rating list and find the next two players by CFC rating who are interested in participating. Then we will go to the CMA selections.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
                    Thanks Larry. ;) Hopefully the entry list can be decided sooner than later since the tournament is during holiday period. People are starting to make holiday schedule (either chess or vocation). Is Michael Song in your short list?
                    I know the problem Robert...Michael is a talented youngster and he will certainly be on our list of potential players...I will try and speed up the process.

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

Can it be either cash or cheque?

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Sapozhnikov View Post
                        Can it be either cash or cheque?
                        Yes. If it is a cheque it should be dated Oct 22, 2012.

Comment

Official entry list as of today (Ratings listed here are as of Oct 23 2012):

Joey Qin 2453
                          Richard Wang 2450
                          Roman Sapozhnikov 2440
                          Louie Jiang 2408
                          Karolay Szalay 2392
                          Michael Kleinman 2378

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                            Official entry list as of today (Ratings listed here are as of Oct 23 2012):

Joey Qin 2453
                            Richard Wang 2450
                            Roman Sapozhnikov 2440
                            Louie Jiang 2408
                            Karolay Szalay 2392
                            Michael Kleinman 2378
                            I think, last year Champion David Zhang should have a chance to defend his title.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
                              I think, last year Champion David Zhang should have a chance to defend his title.
                              I'm second that, Victor! National Master and current Canadian Junior Champion, David Zhang, should have a chance to defend his title if he wants to :)

Comment

Working...
                              X