Can someone explain Olympiad pairings!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain Olympiad pairings!?

Like many chess fans, I am following the Olympiad whenever I can. I must say I am very proud of our men's team so far, with two won matches (over Haiti and Turkmenistan) and one drawn match (today against a stronger Argentinian team). :) :)

Canada faces Mongolia in round 4 next, and even this team is seeded below Canada.

But it seems Canada has avoided the real heavyweights to date. The pairing system has certainly been changed from the earlier Olympiads which used Swiss pairings. I believe Canada's own Phil Haley was influential in arranging the useage of Swiss pairings, beginning in 1976, and this has been used ever since. But a strict Swiss system (such as we would envision from individual Swiss events) is not being used. Can Hal Bond, Jonathan Berry, or perhaps Aris (who is in Istanbul) explain the pairing system in, say, 100 words or less!? Thank you!

Re: Can someone explain Olympiad pairings!?

The rules are in this FIDE handbook chapter: 02. Olympiad Pairing Rules

Comment

From USCF website:
      The pairing system, too complicated for even Deputy Chief Arbiter Carol Jarecki to explain without a printout, is as follows: match points, followed by game points, followed by Buchholz tiebreaks, which are tabulated by multiplying a team’s score versus a particular opponent by that opponent’s current score, and finally dropping the low opponent. The system is so hard to figure that teams cannot offer any pairing complaints as it is too hard to ascertain the process.

Comment

Contrary to the real Olympics which is an Elite competition, the Chess Olympiad is a mass participation event with many unrated players. Because of the abnormally high number of unrated players, standard pairing rules cannot be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
          Contrary to the real Olympics which is an Elite competition, the Chess Olympiad is a mass participation event with many unrated players. Because of the abnormally high number of unrated players, standard pairing rules cannot be used.
          The pairings would probably make more sense if they used the ratings for players who have ratings, and use a provisional/performance rating in place of the rating for those that don't. It would be trivial to program the software to be able to do this (if it can't already - or if they are even using software).
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
          X