perfect day (for me) at Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perfect day (for me) at Olympiad

Canada was playing at Board 9, and I got assigned "the football match" at Board 10, Argentina vs. Mexico. This was perfect location, so that I could follow Team Canada!

Hal also got his pass upgraded to VIP, and it was fun chatting with him a few times. Of course, he also saved me yet again by getting my habitual Turkish Cola (actually Pepsi).

As most of you know by now, Bator fell first, and as that game was headed inexorably towards its conclusion, I thought that Nikolay was being pressured, that Eric would have a helluva time on the c-file, and that Edward would prolly grind out a long draw. Then suddenly, 3 of my 4 games drew right after their 30th moves, and my 4th game reached a kind of perpetual time pressure. So I was not able to really look at our team's games for at least 30 minutes, dang!

When I finally could sneak another look, Bator had indeed been swamped by extra pawns for the exchange, but lo and behold, Nikolay was punishing back a N-for-Ps imbalance, and Eric now totally OWNED the c-file and was in killer mode! I had to leave to do my reporting, and meet Hal and others for a meeting, but it was just an awesome feeling to see the men turn it around like that. As I left, Edward had a B-vs-N endgame (looked drawish to me, but I am not a very good player) which he later did indeed draw, locking in the win for us! WOW! :)

To add to the fun, my roommate is the Mongolian arbiter here, so of course we had a friendly rivalry brewing on bragging rights for the rest of our stay, which will be fun, lol! ;)

Re : perfect day (for me) at Olympiad

Did you also catch some very happy young Turkish kids gambolling about? The Turkey 2023 team - 2 nine-year-olds, 2 eight-year-olds, and a seven-year-old - got their first 2 points today, upsetting the much higher rated Bermuda team.

ound 4 on 2012/08/31 at 15:00
    Bo. 149 Turkey 2023 Rtg - 131 Bermuda Rtg 2½:1½
    73.1 Tarlabasi, Emirhan 1740 - Bacchas, Clever 1944 ½ - ½
    73.2 Aydincelebi, Kagan 1659 - James, Dill 1923 1 - 0
    73.3 Ozenir, Ekin Baris 1542 - Gary, Cooper 1893 1 - 0
    73.4 Uzumcu, Ahmet Utk 0 - Michael, Radford 1848 0 - 1

Comment

Working...
    X