Underdog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underdog

Every Olympiad needs one great underdog story and this year the Philippines certainly fits that bill. Through 8 rounds the #35 seed is in a 5-way tie for 2nd with the 4 chess powerhouses: Armenia, China, United States, and Germany, all 2 points behind Russia.

Each and every one of the Philippines 5-men team has a TPR far in excess of their rating. Even their 5-board IM sports a team low TPR of 2631, 203 points above his 2428 rating, and he's been the odd man out the past 4 rounds as Philippines battles on the top boards.

But the story behind the story has to be the remarkable performance of their sexagenarian and #3 board, Eugene Torre. He established some Olympiad history just be being here, his 21st Olympiad appearance (17 on the top board), surpassing Lajos Portisch's 20 appearanes for a new Olympiad record.

Would you believe Torre now has a TPR in excess of 2800 after taking down Ferenc Berkes (2685) yesterday and Nigel Short (2698) today (Torre's 2 Knights proving superior to Short's 2 Bishops)! Bobby Fischer, his close friend, would certainly be proud. And on that note, Wikipedia has some amusing notes on Torre's relationship with Fischer:

Relations with Fischer

Torre was a friend of Bobby Fischer. He worked on Fischer's team in his 1992 rematch with Boris Spassky in Yugoslavia. Much later, Torre conducted interviews on Filipino radio with Bobby Fischer. Those interviews gained notoriety for Fischer and despair for his fans. Torre was involved in 1996 when Fischer Random Chess was launched. One anecdote during this period has it that when Torre and Fischer boarded a taxi in Buenos Aires, the driver immediately recognized Torre as a chess player. As both were about to leave the taxi, the driver, not knowing who the other distinguished passenger was, asked Torre: "Whatever happened to that crazy guy Fischer?"[6]

Re : Underdog

Just to give this story a bit of a Canadian flavour, I will point out that Wesley So is delivering an unblemished record on board 1 for the Philippines, +2 -0 =6 , including draws against 4 elite 2700+ players: Adams, Bologan, Leko, and Topalov, as well as the super elite, #2 in the world, Aronian. Truly a spectacular performance!

Wesley,of course, now has some deep Toronto roots with his family living here and has participated in a number of Canadian tournaments. I guess he also has some American roots now since he's attending Polgar's Webster University in St. Louis or at least will be once this Olympiad is over.

Getting back to Eugene Torre, I'm surprised that Chessgames.com only has one game between Torre and Canada's own Kevin Spraggett, a 40-move draw, with Kevin wielding the Black pieces and playing a Pirc. Given their similarity in age - Kevin turning 58 in November and Eugene 61 the same month - I would have thought they would have locked horns on many an occasion. I suspect they did but the games didn't find their to Chessgames.com.

Comment

Re : Underdog

A Herculean performance by Wesley and yet he's the only member of the Philippines squad who hasn't picked up 10+ FIDE points. Indeed, their 2, 3, and 4 boards have picked up 21.4, 17.8, and 15.2 FIDE points respectively. Where's the justice!

http://results.chessolympiadistanbul...&lan=1&flag=30

Comment

Re: Underdog

Thanks for pointing this out on Chesstalk, Jack.

Regarding the story in Wiki, there is a small detail that was not known - Torre's special gift (pasalubong) to Bobby in 1992.

The main mission of the Philippine Men's Chess Team is to improve on its best ever finish in the Olympiad - a 7th place finish in 1988?

And with a young super GM leading the way, everyone knew this is their best chance to do it.

Comment

Working...
        X