Not so exclusive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so exclusive

The once exclusive 2700 club is no longer nearly so exclusive. Ding Liren, whose dramatic rook endgame win yesterday against Alexander Onishuk knocked the Americans out of the hunt for gold, became the club's newest member and that swells the membership to a record high 50!

http://www.2700chess.com/

Tangentially, Ding Liren becomes the 2nd teenaged member. Anish Giri, of course, is the other and youngest member. A full 30 of the 50 members are less than 30 years of age so youth is definitely being served. Nigel Short, who keeps entering and exiting the club, is the oldest member at 47.

Re : Not so exclusive

For the record, Ding Liren's entry to the 2700 club was certainly a gift from Alexander Onishuk. The game was a theoretical draw until Onishuk uncorked his 55. ...Rh1? stinker (ChessVibes shows the proper way to draw)

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/ar...ne-round-to-go

It never ceases to amaze me just how frequently strong GMs manage to lose theoretically drawn positions. The Americans, of course, were the beneficiary the day before when Alexander Grischuk couldn't hold the theoretically drawn Rook vs Rook + Bishop endgame against Gata Kamsky. Admittedly, that's a more difficult hold and in practical play is lost well over a 1/3 of the time.

Onishuk might want to pick uo a good Rook endgame book (I say only slightly facetiously). I read recently that Canada's Peter Biyiasis became an IM (before becoming Canada's 3rd GM) by reading just two chess books - and remember this was long before the computer age when books were still king - his good friend, Bobby Fischer's 'My 60 Memorable Games' and, on point, Vassily Smyslov's 'Rook Endings'.

Biyiasas evidently honed his endgame skills in Vancouver coffee houses playing one-minute themed blitz matches with Canada's 2nd GM, Duncan Suttles. One of their favourite positions was said to be the Bishop + Knight vs lone King endgame when they had to deliver checkmate in the 60 seconds they allotted themselves. Bear in mind that there were no 30-second increments in those days so you had to know these positions cold if you wanted to secure the win before your clock ticked down.

Just a thought, but perhaps today's young juniors here in Canada should emulate Biyiasas and Suttles and start playing endgame themed blitz chess to hone their endgame skills. Lol, it might not even be a bad idea for some of the world's strong GMs.

Comment

Re: Not so exclusive

Interestingly, in his excellent book 'Silman's Complete Endgame Course' Silman does not even recommend studying K, N + B vs lone K. "Bishop and Knight might never occur in your whole chess lifetime and is far too difficult to waste your precious study time on".

Regarding the deterioration of endgame play in recent times, I think it's due mainly to modern time controls. Today, endgames are typically reached when players are desperately short of time (in SD finishes), or at least compelled to move every 30 seconds or so (with increments). Compare this to the old days when games would be adjourned and a player, aided by second(s), would spend hours working out the correct lines of play. This actually increases the importance of endgame study today- the more technique you memorize, the less time you need to spend working things out at the board.

Comment

In Grandmaster Secrets: Endings, GM Andrew Soltis gave the following:

Estimated Odds of Your:

Ever Going Bald (if male).............................1 in 2.5
        Ever Dying of a Heart Attack.......................1 in 5
        Ever Playing R+B+K vs. R+K.........................1 in 40
        Being Robbed This Year...............................1 in 500
        Playing Out K+B+N vs. K This Year................1 in 3,000
        Being Diagnosed with Lung Cancer This Year...1 in 7,500
        Playing Q+(N-Pawn)+K vs. Q+K This Year.......1 in 8,000
        Being Murdered This Year............................1 in 12,000

Soltis' philosophy is somewhat similar to Silman's, concerning the value of learning by heart supposedly infrequent endgames.

In my own career I've been on the verge of playing out the superior side of K+B+N vs. K once that I recall (my then young opponent conveniently resigned a little before I captured his last pawn, although I had sealed a move some moves earlier :)).

Once, in a training game with an 1900+ player who was to go overseas, I found myself on the inferior side of the K+B+N vs. K ending (after blundering against a Fort Knox French Rubenstein). It turned out that my opponent had completely mastered this ending - I played it out until mate in finding that out. Soon after that, I spent some time studying this ending and playing it out many times in five minute training sessions, i.e. well after my becoming a master. My study partner (a different one) had initially shown me a tournament game from Iceland between two 2300+ players, where the superior side had failed to convert. Apparently at least one fairly modern, but now deceased, GM once failed to convert this ending into a win in a tournament game, even with plenty of time on the clock. Other GMs were joking at the time that he ought to lose his title. :)
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I'm a bit surprised at the rarity of the Q + Npawn + K vs Q + K ending. I could easily see this happening either with the original Queens, or (perhaps more likely) in a K and P ending where one player has an extra pawn and both players Queen one of their pawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            In Grandmaster Secrets: Endings, GM Andrew Soltis gave the following:

Estimated Odds of Your:

Ever Going Bald (if male).............................1 in 2.5
            Ever Dying of a Heart Attack.......................1 in 5
            Ever Playing R+B+K vs. R+K.........................1 in 40
            Being Robbed This Year...............................1 in 500
            Playing Out K+B+N vs. K This Year................1 in 3,000
            Being Diagnosed with Lung Cancer This Year...1 in 7,500
            Playing Q+(N-Pawn)+K vs. Q+K This Year.......1 in 8,000
            Being Murdered This Year............................1 in 12,000
            I wonder what the odds would have been on ever claiming a draw by repetition of position and having Abe Yanofsky on the appeals committee which decided the validity of the claim. I got the draw.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
              I'm a bit surprised at the rarity of the Q + Npawn + K vs Q + K ending. I could easily see this happening either with the original Queens, or (perhaps more likely) in a K and P ending where one player has an extra pawn and both players Queen one of their pawns.
              If memory serves, I've had that endgame at least once in my tournament career, e.g. in a QGD Classical Orthodox main line Rubenstein Attack (ECO code D69) as Black against David Gordon years ago [edit: it was in Ottawa in 1996]. That line often requires heavy grinding and/or luck for Black to win against reasonable opposition. I had the luck factor, as David inexplicably left his lone c-pawn en prise after we both promoted queens. After that I eventually won with my lone b-pawn.
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 9th September, 2012, 09:28 PM.
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I remember playing K+N+B against a lone K when I was an unrated junior. My opponent, a solid 16-1700 club player, never thought i'd be able to convert.

Message to youngsters: screw Silman and Soltis, take 5-10 minutes of your time to learn about that one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_...ight_checkmate

Mathieu

Comment

My contributions. :-)

[Event "Match #1"]
                  [Site "Montreal"]
                  [Date "1967.??.??"]
                  [Round "21"]
                  [White "Streit, Howard"]
                  [Black "Brodie, Hugh"]
                  [Result "0-1"]
                  [ECO "C08"]
                  [PlyCount "174"]
                  [EventDate "1967.??.??"]
                  [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 c5 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bb5+ Nc6 6. Qe2+ Qe7 7. dxc5 Qxe2+
                  8. Nxe2 Bxc5 9. Nb3 Bb6 10. Ned4 Bd7 11. O-O Nxd4 12. Bxd7+ Kxd7 13. Nxd4 Bxd4
                  14. Rd1 Bf6 15. Rxd5+ Kc6 16. c4 Ne7 17. Rd2 Rad8 18. Rb1 Rd6 19. Rxd6+ Kxd6
                  20. b4 b6 21. Bf4+ Kc6 22. Rd1 Nc8 23. a4 Rd8 24. Rxd8 Bxd8 25. g4 a5 26. Bd2
                  axb4 27. Bxb4 Nd6 28. Bc3 g6 29. Kg2 Nxc4 30. f4 h5 31. f5 b5 32. axb5+ Kxb5
                  33. fxg6 fxg6 34. gxh5 gxh5 35. Be1 Kc5 36. Kf3 Bg5 37. Ke4 Nd6+ 38. Ke5 Kc6
                  39. Bf2 Kd7 40. Be1 h4 41. Bxh4 Bxh4 42. Kf4 Ke6 43. Kg4 Nf5 44. Kf4 Kf6 45.
                  Kg4 Kg6 46. Kf4 Nh6 47. Kf3 Kg5 48. Ke4 Kg4 49. Ke5 Kh3 50. Ke4 Kxh2 51. Kd5
                  Kg3 52. Ke4 Bg5 53. Ke5 Kf3 54. Kd4 Nf7 55. Kd3 Be3 56. Kc4 Ke4 57. Kb5 Kd5 58.
                  Ka6 Nd8 59. Kb5 Bc5 60. Ka5 Bd4 61. Kb5 Ne6 62. Ka5 Nc7 63. Kb4 Be3 64. Kc3 Na6
                  65. Kd3 Bf4 66. Ke2 Ke4 67. Kf2 Nc5 68. Kg2 Nd3 69. Kf1 Kf3 70. Kg1 Nf2 71. Kf1
                  Bh2 72. Ke1 Ne4 73. Kf1 Ng3+ 74. Ke1 Ke3 75. Kd1 Kd3 76. Ke1 Bg1 77. Kd1 Bf2
                  78. Kc1 Bd4 79. Kd1 Bc3 80. Kc1 Ne4 81. Kd1 Bb4 82. Kc1 Bd2+ 83. Kb2 Nc5 84.
                  Ka3 Kc2 85. Ka2 Bb4 86. Ka1 Nd3 87. Ka2 Nc1+ 0-1

[Event "Carnaval"]
                  [Site "Quebec CAN"]
                  [Date "1968.02.25"]
                  [Round "4"]
                  [White "Brodie, Hugh"]
                  [Black "Letourneau, Martin"]
                  [Result "1-0"]
                  [ECO "D53"]
                  [WhiteElo "1700"]
                  [BlackElo "1700"]
                  [PlyCount "193"]
                  [EventDate "1968.02.23"]
                  [EventType "swiss"]
                  [EventRounds "5"]
                  [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. Nf3 Nc6 2. c4 Nf6 3. d4 e6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. Nc3 d5 6. e3 a6 7. a3 O-O 8. Bd3
                  Na5 9. cxd5 exd5 10. b4 Nc4 11. Qc2 g6 12. Nxd5 Nxd5 13. Bxe7 Ncxe3 14. Bxd8
                  Nxc2+ 15. Bxc2 Rxd8 16. h4 Nf4 17. g3 Bg4 18. Nh2 Re8+ 19. Kd2 Re2+ 20. Kc1 Bh5
                  21. g4 Rxf2 22. gxh5 gxh5 23. Kb2 Ne2 24. Raf1 Rxf1 25. Rxf1 Nxd4 26. Bd1 Kg7
                  27. Bxh5 Rf8 28. Rf4 Ne6 29. Rf5 b6 30. Nf3 c5 31. Ne5 cxb4 32. axb4 h6 33.
                  Rxf7+ Rxf7 34. Bxf7 Nc7 35. Bc4 a5 36. b5 Kf6 37. Nd7+ Kf5 38. Nxb6 Kg4 39. Nd5
                  Nxb5 40. Bxb5 Kxh4 41. Ka3 Kg5 42. Bf1 h5 43. Ka4 h4 44. Bh3 Kh5 45. Kxa5 Kg5
                  46. Kb4 Kh5 47. Kc4 Kg5 48. Kd4 Kh5 49. Ke4 Kg5 50. Ne3 Kf6 51. Kf4 Kg6 52. Kg4
                  Kf6 53. Kxh4 Ke7 54. Kg5 Kf7 55. Nd5 Kg7 56. Be6 Kh7 57. Kf6 Kh8 58. Bf5 Kg8
                  59. Nf4 Kh8 60. Be6 Kh7 61. Ng6 Kh6 62. Nf8 Kh5 63. Ng6 Kh6 64. Bg8 Kh5 65. Kf5
                  Kh6 66. Nf4 Kg7 67. Bc4 Kf8 68. Kf6 Ke8 69. Be6 Kd8 70. Nd5 Ke8 71. Kg7 Kd8 72.
                  Bf5 Ke8 73. Kf6 Kf8 74. Bh7 Ke8 75. Nb6 Kd8 76. Ke6 Kc7 77. Nc4 Kc6 78. Bd3 Kc7
                  79. Be4 Kd8 80. Bc6 Kc7 81. Kd5 Kd8 82. Kd6 Kc8 83. Nb6+ Kd8 84. Na8 Kc8 85.
                  Nc7 Kd8 86. Ne6+ Kc8 87. Bf3 Kb8 88. Kc6 Ka7 89. Nc7 Kb8 90. Bg4 Ka7 91. Bf5
                  Kb8 92. Nd5 Ka7 93. Nb4 Kb8 94. Kb6 Ka8 95. Be6 Kb8 96. Na6+ Ka8 97. Bd5# 1-0

Comment

Re : Re: Not so exclusive

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post

Regarding the deterioration of endgame play in recent times, I think it's due mainly to modern time controls. Today, endgames are typically reached when players are desperately short of time (in SD finishes), or at least compelled to move every 30 seconds or so (with increments). Compare this to the old days when games would be adjourned and a player, aided by second(s), would spend hours working out the correct lines of play. This actually increases the importance of endgame study today- the more technique you memorize, the less time you need to spend working things out at the board.
                    Time was clearly not an issue today in London, Ken, when Wang Hao uncorked one of the most egregious rook endgame blunders I've ever witnessed. The simple 55. ...Rxf4 and he could have simply shaken hands with Gelfand. Instead he played 55. ...Kh7?????????? and had to resign the very next move since he would have to sac his rook to make it a mate in two rather than a mate in one. It's almost inconceivable to me that an elite GM (China's best!) could make such a bonehead move. And as I said, there was not even a hint of zeitnot. Wang Hao had 58 minutes on his clock, almost triple the 19:43 left on Gelfand's clock. You can of course check out the game yourself at:

http://chessbomb.com/site/

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Not so exclusive

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                      The simple 55. ...Rxf4 and he could have simply shaken hands with Gelfand. Instead he played 55. ...Kh7?????????? and had to resign the very next move[...]
                      Wow! That was bad. Had a quick look at around move 45. I thought, well, there's no way a GM could lose this, so no point in following that game anymore.

And then... 55...Kh7???

I understand that some theoretically drawn endgames are relatively complex in practice, even for 2700+ players. Most endgames with queens still on board require a lot of calculation. And most endgames with 2-3 pieces leave a lot of room for blunders. Computers evals are thus extremely harsh, even for the best players.

But this game... White has no direct threats and you have 1h left to choose between 55...Rxf4 and 55...Kh7.

And even Gelfand's play was definitely subpar (52.Rc8 instead of 52.Rg7 would have forced the black king on the uncomfortable h7 square). White has a forced win after 52.Rc8 Kh7 53.Kf7 or so it seems. And Gelfand is not an inexperienced junior, was not under time pressure etc.

My feeling is that the effect of faster time controls is not direct (i.e. blunders), but indirect. Because of the faster time controls, we (chessplayers at large) are not playing endgames as much as before. At the top level, they put 90% of their energy on openings.

Thus, most players look 'rusty' when playing some endgames (lack of practice or knowledge).

In that regard, Carlsen seems to be the (refreshing!) exception.

Mathieu

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Not so exclusive

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post

My feeling is that the effect of faster time controls is not direct (i.e. blunders), but indirect. Because of the faster time controls, we (chessplayers at large) are not playing endgames as much as before. At the top level, they put 90% of their energy on openings.

Thus, most players look 'rusty' when playing some endgames (lack of practice or knowledge).

In that regard, Carlsen seems to be the (refreshing!) exception.

Mathieu
                        There were two more horrendous endgame debacles today, one in London and one in San Paulo. Carlsen pulled a nice swindle at the latter venue in a Bishop vs Knight endgame. His 32. ...h4 pawn push was still a dead draw providing Vallejo did not capture. Sure enough, Vallejo played 33.gxh4?? and was dead lost. And once again, time was not a factor since he had more than an hour on his clock. Hard to believe that an elite GM would not have known, even intuitively, that he had to keep the pawn on the g file and not the h file (making the Bishop the wrong coloured Bishop as well as keeping the pawn one file closer to Carlsen's d pawn).

The London example was more forgivable. Dominguez missed a clear win (+6.27) against Nakamura but had to find a Bishop sac for the win. Nakamura even gave him a second chance to find the sac when he tried to repeat. With two connected advanced passed pawns you would think that an elite GM would realize the pawns were winning once you eliminated Nakamura's one blockading pawn. They may well be elite GMs but they're not elite endgame players.

Comment

Re : Re: Not so exclusive

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                          It's almost inconceivable to me that an elite GM (China's best!) could make such a bonehead move.
                          http://chessbomb.com/site/
                          Once Vladimir Kramnik blundered into a basic mate in one in a dead serious match vs a computer. All the best players in history have experienced similar lapses. Such blunders have nothing to do with "endgame technique" or any other chess technique. They are caused by the "human factor" against which there is no 100% sure protection.

Comment

Working...
                          X