$260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

From http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/3602...hamp-260-fine/ :

Local chess champion Daryl Bertrand walked away with a $260 fine after he broke out his novelty-sized chess set in ByWard Market Monday and challenged all comers to a game.

As 40 to 50 onlookers gathered around his match against a 10-year-old boy, Bertrand says three police officers and a market manager broke up the game to ticket him for “providing free entertainment.”

“The spectators started speaking up,” said Bertrand, who is a chess master candidate – one step below a national master. “They said everyone here disagrees with you, you’re killing the culture of Ottawa in the market.”

Despite their protests, the cops slapped Bertrand with a $260 fine for busking without a license. A city by-law created in 2008 which started being enforced in 2010 requires all buskers in the market to pay a fee of $50 for a license and daily busking permits that start at $10.45 and can cost as much as $200.

Since Bertrand plays mainly for fun — he typically makes only $20 a day — the catch for him, aside from costs, is that buskers have to reserve their spots at the beginning of the day and rotate through one of 12 designated busking sites every hour.

“It takes me about 15 minutes to set up because of the size of my board and the chairs,” he said. “It’s really cumbersome to take it around. If I follow the law, during that 40-minute game with that boy I’d be under duress to finish up.”

“The whole thing is to give people a good experience of chess and the ByWard Market. Are people going to want to come back if they have a bad experience?”

City officials say the bylaw was brought in to resolve any disputes between performers and make sure there is hourly turnover on the sites. Citing cost recovery, a city pamphlet also notes “all businesses that sell their goods or services on the Market contribute financially to the overall management including the promotion and marketing of the area.”

With ticket in hand, Bertrand said he’s going to consult a lawyer and hopes to have the bylaw thrown out.

“My ultimate goal is for them to just change the regulations so that people can play in peace,” he said. “I would be ecstatic if I could go out and play chess again.”

Re : $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

Shame on Ottawa, their bylaw, and the effing cops enforcing it! Hopefully, there's a good, chess playing, Ottawa lawyer who will offer his/her services pro bono.

Comment

Re: Re : $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      Shame on Ottawa, their bylaw, and the effing cops enforcing it! Hopefully, there's a good, chess playing, Ottawa lawyer who will offer his/her services pro bono.
      The cops are obliged by law to issue the ticket. By-laws are almost by definition petty and stupid - which exactly mirrors municipal politicians...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        The cops are obliged by law to issue the ticket. By-laws are almost by definition petty and stupid - which exactly mirrors municipal politicians...
        I know your 'obliged' refers to its first definition of "forced or compelled" but, imho, the cops (and I'm tempted to resuscitate the more pejorative 4-letter-word of the late 60's/early 70's) should have gone with the second definition of "to do a favour for" and told Daryl to finish his game with the 10 year-old and set up shop somewhere else or they would be compelled to issue him a ticket.

Then again, cops are generally not the brightest creatures on the planet. South of the border, it would seem, that's even by policy.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...be-a-good-cop/

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
          imho, the cops (and I'm tempted to resuscitate the more pejorative 4-letter-word of the late 60's/early 70's) should have gone with the second definition of "to do a favour for" and told Daryl to finish his game with the 10 year-old and set up shop somewhere else or they would be compelled to issue him a ticket.
          Today isn't the beginning or end of this story, so it might be premature to start calling people names or impugning their intelligence.

I talked to Daryl about this today and he told me the cops had previously done the "favour" you said they should have done.

Comment

Re: $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

The best place in Toronto to hustle is Harborfront. Forget the tables on Yonge and later Queens - the money was hustling tourists at Harborfront - extremely busy during the summer. I did it two summers in a row but the huge challenge was dodging the ticket police - I swear they had spies who would call from various businesses around. I wish Daryl all the best in his mission to get better conditions to play chess with the public and I am glad he's taking on the bureaucracy.

Comment

Why is there an ad bar flashing when I go to that article? What a waste of time.
              Last edited by Claude Carrier; Saturday, 8th September, 2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Ben Daswani; Wednesday, 30th January, 2013, 12:29 AM.
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re : Re: $260 fine for playing chess in Ottawa :-)

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  The best place in Toronto to hustle is Harborfront. Forget the tables on Yonge and later Queens - the money was hustling tourists at Harborfront - extremely busy during the summer. I did it two summers in a row but the huge challenge was dodging the ticket police - I swear they had spies who would call from various businesses around. I wish Daryl all the best in his mission to get better conditions to play chess with the public and I am glad he's taking on the bureaucracy.
                  This story by Jennifer Shahade might interest you, Hans. I bet you never played a game of chess for $50,000 with rook odds!

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...chess-gambling

Comment

Id love to be a part of the chess scene in the States right now but I have to be in Canada with all its challenges - for example I cant access this article at work right now because security filter blocks it - gambling you know - I will have to wait until I get home to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      I cant access this article at work right now because security filter blocks it
                      just paste the link in a translator for example http://www.microsofttranslator.com/translate_url

Comment

Originally posted by Claude Carrier View Post
                        just paste the link in a translator for example http://www.microsofttranslator.com/translate_url
                        Now, that is a cool idea...
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I set up on a bench on the Sparks Street Mall last May.
                          By-law officers came by several hours later and told us to finish our game and move on.
                          I guess I was lucky - $260 is a ridiculous amount to be fined for enjoying the day.
                          I hope he fights the ticket and wins!

PS - it costs $7 to visit Vincent Massey Park in Ottawa while it's free to visit High Park in Toronto or Gage Park in Hamilton. Ottawa is just feeding off its large tourism draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude Carrier View Post
                            Most web blockers check translator portals as well now.
                            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

How? They must use cookies and spyware somehow.

The other day I found out on the internet there is some directory in windows vista that is hidden and keeps a history of everything and can't be deleted, you can't see it by just clicking "show hidden files", you have to manually type the directory for it to appear, it's really there and stores thousands of cookies, undeletable. (not that I did anything illegal)

Did you know the us government spent 500millions during the Libian crisis on operators who would post in social medias to spin public opinion?
                              I clicked on a commentor's name in a finance news site who always gave negative comments and it said he posted 5000 messages, who would post 5000 messages?? I know there are firms in Ontario that are hired to post comments about stocks, especialy small caps, and try to change it's price, they got shut down and appeared in the news.

I found the following article entertaining, not that it is chess related:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...gton-Post.html
                              Last edited by Claude Carrier; Friday, 21st September, 2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X