Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Preregistered List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Preregistered List

Thus far, we have 69 preregistered. Expecting more to register this week. I will continue to add names to this list as they preregister.

Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Preregistered List

Open
    Bator Sambuev 2689
    Tomas Krnan 2562
    Artiom Samsonkin 2553
    Bindi Cheng 2480
    Roman Sapozhnikov 2466
    Victor Plotkin 2354
    Michael Song 2343
    Razvan Preotu 2293
    Hans Jung 2284
    Mark Plotkin 2103
    Jonathan Yu 2069
    Adam Cormier 2067
    Alex T. Ferreira 2051
    Yuanchen Zhang 2021
    Alexander Przybylski 2015
    Dmitry Chernik 1989
    Yinshi Li 1983
    Tony Li 1974

U2000

John Zhang 1957
    Robert Bzikot 1940
    Dan Raats 1931
    Sergey Noritsyn 1915
    Rob Gashgarian 1899
    Garrett Forsyth 1880
    Tony Bohan Bao 1825
    Fernando Echavarria-Hidalgo 1820
    Don Gareau 1813
    Ralph Deline 1791
    Mario Piccinin 1789
    Istvan Kiss 1788
    Joey Zhong 1778
    Lee Hendon 1772
    Gerry Crowley 1770
    Bob Gillanders 1764
    Patrick Phillips 1762
    Richard Chen 1744
    Barry Forsyth 1673
    Wenyang Ming 1668
    David Bendl 1628
    George Dragasanu 1619
    Tim Knechtel 1613
    Dennis Tismenko 1601
    Dinny Wang 1570
    Ryan Gonsalves 1563

U1600

Avery Jones 1501
    Tyler Ensor 1496
    Dennis Shamroni 1494
    Doug Gillis 1477
    Andy Maaser 1460
    Jeffrey Lee 1409
    Atharva Washimkar 1394
    Frank Wang 1385
    Gary Hua 1367
    David Ang 1359
    Thomas Guo 1353
    Immanuel Huang 1335
    Nathan Macias-Luevano 1319
    Benjamin Lin 1259
    Kai Gauer 1239
    Mathanhe Kaneshalingam 1232
    James Williamson 1188
    Arhant Washimkar 1184
    Jason Cai 1152
    Eugene Hua 1077
    Robin Johnson 1018
    Benito Surya 944
    Ethan Zheng 924
    Kylie Tan 887
    Alexandre Johnson unr.
    Last edited by Ralph Deline; Friday, 14th September, 2012, 10:36 PM.

Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Preregistered List

Bump. We are now at 69 players.

There are a few more from the KW chess club who are likely to play in all three sections.

Still trying to beat 77 players that showed up for the Spring Open.
    Last edited by Ralph Deline; Friday, 14th September, 2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Bump.

This is going to be an interesting and exciting tournament. Check the preregistered list and I'm sure you will agree.

If you are not preregistered yet, you only have a few more days to take advantage of the lower preregistered rate.

Last edited by Ralph Deline; Wednesday, 12th September, 2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Woot!
        Looking pretty competitive. I shall be ready to get some over-the-board lessons.
        Alex F.

Comment

The weekend is almost here. If you want to get some good games in, check out the preregistered list and commit yourself to a great weekend.

Comment

Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Any News for pairing and standing so far?

Nothing updated, it seems not Patrick running this event.

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
              No, it wasn't Patrick, and the organizers had a very large additional headache to deal with today as apparently the city double-booked them with a bridal show which included live music - right beside the playing area - and which also needed their tables and chairs.

I was there first thing this morning... I do recall seeing that GM Sambuev had 3/3 but didn't have a chance to see much else. I believe he was set to play Razvan Preotu in Round 4.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to the organizers for running the event.
                If I am not mistaken, Sambuev won with 4.5/5, drawing only Samsonkin in the last round, in what looked like a rather complicated Queen & pawns endgame.
                Tomas Krnan & Bindi Cheng split 2nd / 3rd with 4.0
                I don't know what happened in the other sections, as (most of) these games were played in a different room.

From my perspective, I quite enjoyed the tournament, it had been a little while since I had been able to get out of town to play in a tournament. Downtown Kitchener seems to have been revamped considerably. More appealing restaurants / pubs / boutique shops. There was also some music festival taking place Saturday night.
                Overall a much better experience than some of the previous ones I had there. I remember some shady establishments (or just on the street) filled with unsavoury characters in the past, and tons of reconstruction. Glad to have gone again and looking forward to do so again in future. Kitchener seems to be on the upward trend!

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Ist GM Sambuev 4.5, equal 2nd IM's Bindi Cheng and Tomas Krnan. In the under 2000 Garrett Forsyth 4.5 (1st) and 3 way tie for 2nd Bob Gillanders, Dan Raats, and Ryan Gonsalves. Congratulations Garrett (this will move you up over 2000!). Under 1600 4 way tie for 1st between Benjamin Lin, Jeffrey Lee, Immanuel Huang, and Thomas Guo. 72 players total. I admired Tomas Krnan's technique this weekend. With a perfect score of more than 10 losses I finally managed to upset IM Samsonkin with Black in a French Defence. (for those who still believe in the French)

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
                    Why don't you take a long walk on a short pier.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Deline View Post
                      Why don't you take a long walk on a short pier.
                      Why don't you ignore the personal shot he took at you and acknowledge what he was actually complaining about...

Where are some updates, results, standings, gamescores??

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                        Why don't you ignore the personal shot he took at you and acknowledge what he was actually complaining about...

Where are some updates, results, standings, gamescores??
                        Well, the obvious answer is that some people have jobs and families and other obligations that might prevent them from providing instant updates for people who have pretty much only passing interest... I don't see anyone named Yuan on the pre-registered list - and if someone of that name *was* at the tournament, presumably they would know or be able to discern the outcome of their section at least.

I noticed that Ralph was registered to play in one of the sections, so perhaps he had even more time on his hands than I thought...

Chill everyone - if you care that much then go play in the damn tournament.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          Well, the obvious answer is that some people have jobs and families and other obligations that might prevent them from providing instant updates for people who have pretty much only passing interest... I don't see anyone named Yuan on the pre-registered list - and if someone of that name *was* at the tournament, presumably they would know or be able to discern the outcome of their section at least.

I noticed that Ralph was registered to play in one of the sections, so perhaps he had even more time on his hands than I thought...

Chill everyone - if you care that much then go play in the damn tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            I don't see anyone named Yuan on the pre-registered list - and if someone of that name *was* at the tournament, presumably they would know or be able to discern the outcome of their section at least.
                            It really does not take much time to copy&paste a text here. Probably keen teens could just type everything on their ipods&co :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              It really does not take much time to copy&paste a text here. Probably keen teens could just type everything on their ipods&co :D
                              Of course, there are any number of ways that it COULD happen and more than a few reasonable reasons why it may not have... For example, typing on an iPad requires actually having the device and having connectivity etc. My point is that people who have only moderate skin in the game (or none at all?) should not more or less demand instant results.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X