X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashley Tapp Article on ChessBase

An interesting article appears on ChessBase:
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8467
    It does offer a sad commentary on the low estate of chess in Canada.

Re: Ashley Tapp Article on ChessBase

I don't understand why this is supposed to show chess in Canada is in low estate (whatever that is), or why it's sad that the 33rd ranked player in an age group isn't being given a trip to Europe.

Comment

I think the 33rd ranked player in her age group should give all chess players a course on " chess marketing "!!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        I think the 33rd ranked player in her age group should give all chess players a course on " chess marketing "!!

Bob
        Her effort and determination etc is quite admirable to be sure. The article (of course) doesn't provide any of the details about "qualification". In fact, it is written to imply very strongly that she was somehow denied support when in fact, there was none to be had except for a very small subset of players (and she is not in that subset).

To somehow equate this situation with the state of chess in Canada is just as unreasonable. Of course, we all would like to see more support for chess - period. The little support there is has to be handed out very carefully since it is so minimal.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Playing chess like that, against all comers, will probably help her playing strength. Great publicity. Maybe she'll get a sponsor.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
            An interesting article appears on ChessBase:
            http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8467
            It does offer a sad commentary on the low estate of chess in Canada.
            I think that the publicity is great considering this is one of the top news sites in the world.

As for the negatives about Canada, I think that is minor .......

Comment

I'm with Gary on this. This is a pretty big deal for Ashley. When's the last time anyone from Canada made it to not only the national news but world news for something like this?
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

The article is kind of embarrassing- makes Canada look like some third-world country (which, chess-wise, we pretty much are).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                  The article is kind of embarrassing- makes Canada look like some third-world country (which, chess-wise, we pretty much are).
                  The door swings both ways.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                  X