Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Canada finished virtually right at its pretournament seeding in the Open section. We got off to a strong start, with three match wins and a draw in the first four rounds. :)

But then the fifth-round match against an elite Azerbaijan team brought Canada back to reality. A win over Kazakhstan late in the event was impressive. However, a very disappointing draw with a much weaker Albanian team in the final round must have made the long return journey home seem even longer.

On the bright side, Eric Hansen is now a Grandmaster after one of the best results ever by a Canadian at an Olympiad; he had a performance rating well over 2600. He lost only one game against very strong opposition on board four. I believe Eric is the first Grandmaster from Alberta. Eric certainly merits a boost to a higher board for next time. He continued his terrific form from the World Junior Championship, which was played just before the Olympiad.

Canadian champion GM Bator Sambuev, who scored a wonderful 8.5/9 in the Canadian Zonal, got off to a solid start in Istanbul, but lost repeatedly in the later rounds, while facing a string of GMs. Perhaps health concerns are the reason here. IM Leonid Gerzhoy performed adequately on board two. He had to be disappointed being unable to win with Q against R in the match with Belarus, playing with the Black pieces against a higher-rated player in one of the most interesting games I saw, although the endgame was complicated and difficult to convert. I'm looking forward to seeing this game annotated, hopefully by Leonid. IMs Nikolay Noritsyn and Edward Porper seemed a bit below their best on boards three and five respectively.

Thanks to all the players, and to captain Viktor Plotkin! :)

These fine Canadian representatives devoted two weeks of their lives, virtually unpaid, to travel nearly halfway around the world, in one of the most fulfilling experiences any sportsperson can have, playing for one's country. All will be stronger in the future because of this. :)

Re: Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Wasn't this the worst placing for the national team since Moscow 1994?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/can_tea.html
      1994 - 65
      1992 - 54

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        You have to remember that in recent years, Canada at the olympics has often taken a triple swiss gambit by losing repeatedly in the early rounds and then beating up on the players with strengths equivalent to the women olympiad teams in the later rounds to finish higher than before. This was the first time that I can remember that I was actually excited to see how they performed in their games and were actually able to beat teams who were around their rating or slightly above.
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Overall the team seemed to do quite well and had they won the last match against Albania, there would be no doubt that this Olympiad would have been a success, but unfortunately this didn't happen. There were some very nice wins against teams close in rating and a few tough losses against much higher rated teams. It goes without saying that Eric's performance was through the roof, Nikolay and Leonid performed quite well as well and its not a big secret that Bator and Edward didn't have a very successful first Olympiad. Of course, had everyone performed over their head it would have been a truly unique Olympiad as that happens very rarely. Considering the results and the match pairings I think that captain Victor Plotkin did quite a good job as well. The women did ok as well, of course the tough last round loss kind of skewed the picture in the negative way, but what can you do.

Comment

Canada Played Up

Canadian Opposition According to Final Ranking

# 10 – Azerbaijan
            # 16 - Sweden
            # 22 – Argentina
            # 29 – Belarus
            # 31 - Turkmenistan
            # 43 – Mexico
            # 46- Mongolia
            # 50 - Kazakhstan
            # 52 – Canada
            # 66 – Albania
            # 127- Maldives
            # 136 - Haiti

So in effect, Canada “ played up “ 8/11 times. We really had only 2 “ easy “ matches.

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 11th September, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Re : Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
              These fine Canadian representatives devoted two weeks of their lives, virtually unpaid, to travel nearly halfway around the world, in one of the most fulfilling experiences any sportsperson can have, playing for one's country. All will be stronger in the future because of this. :)
              In a couple of lines, maybe without realizing it, you have summed up why chess in Canada is not making progress. We keep sending a "B-team" (no disrespect meant to the players involved) because those who have or will eventually achieve GM status will soon after, in all probability, more or less give up the game in pursuit of more rewarding activities. And those who won't, will very often decline to "devote two weeks of their lives, virtually unpaid" to represent their country. This is what is happening to our GMs, most notably LeSiège, Charbonneau, Bluvshtein and Roussel-Roozmon. The sad fact is that a GM in Canada cannot event count on making a few bucks defending his country's honour at the olympiad. He may even loses income from private lessons and week-end swisses while he is away. This is depressing when you think about it. The "fulfilling" olympiad experience should be a mean to keep our elite players going but as long as it remains also a financial sacrifice they will rather quit.

Comment

The Canadian dream team would be:

1) Kevin Spraggett 2) Mark Bluvshtein 3) Eric Hansen 4) Alexandre LeSiege and on fifth board Liza Orlova.

The hope would be that the top four boards would score points while Ms.Yelizaveta Orlova would use her good looks to tire Canada's opponents before each round.

Yelizaveta Orlova has the potential to be a model and using her exotic appearance in chess as an advantage would be brilliant. :)

Comment

Andy. I myself have been accused of making "sexist" jokes in the past but only unintentionally. Your "joke" is bordering being sexist so I would beware of crossing the line in the future.

Norm

Comment

Re: Re : Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    In a couple of lines, maybe without realizing it, you have summed up why chess in Canada is not making progress. We keep sending a "B-team" (no disrespect meant to the players involved) because those who have or will eventually achieve GM status will soon after, in all probability, more or less give up the game in pursuit of more rewarding activities. And those who won't, will very often decline to "devote two weeks of their lives, virtually unpaid" to represent their country. This is what is happening to our GMs, most notably LeSiège, Charbonneau, Bluvshtein and Roussel-Roozmon. The sad fact is that a GM in Canada cannot event count on making a few bucks defending his country's honour at the olympiad. He may even loses income from private lessons and week-end swisses while he is away. This is depressing when you think about it. The "fulfilling" olympiad experience should be a mean to keep our elite players going but as long as it remains also a financial sacrifice they will rather quit.
                    I couldn't agree more with these sentiments. At the recent Olympics in London, many of our Canadian athletes (including several medallists) were experienced competitors in their late 20's or 30's, with at least one previous Olympic experience. Wouldn`t it be great if we could say the same about our CHESS Olympians. The $64,000 question is, how do we make it happen, gov`ts don`t seem interested, we can`t seem to get much private sector support either, the public perception of chess is of a kids`activity like Spelling Bee.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post

1) Kevin Spraggett 2) Mark Bluvshtein 3) Eric Hansen 4) Alexandre LeSiege and on fifth board Liza Orlova.

The hope would be that the top four boards would score points while Ms.Yelizaveta Orlova would use her good looks to tire Canada's opponents before each round.

Yelizaveta Orlova has the potential to be a model and using her exotic appearance in chess as an advantage would be brilliant. :)
                      LMFAO, this is just too jokes to make fun of anymore
                      Shameless self-promotion on display here
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                        You have to remember that in recent years, Canada at the olympics has often taken a triple swiss gambit by losing repeatedly in the early rounds and then beating up on the players with strengths equivalent to the women olympiad teams in the later rounds to finish higher than before. This was the first time that I can remember that I was actually excited to see how they performed in their games and were actually able to beat teams who were around their rating or slightly above.
                        I've said this on other years, with respect to events like Olympiad and WYCC that beyond a spectacular success or failure ( which is rare for Canada ) the final placement is almost irrelevant. More important is how well you competed, whether you earned some good high board matches. I think the men's team had a good year by this standard, living most of the event on higher boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post

I'm not sure what I find more ridiculous, the sexist pulp some of you post or the absurd "aesthetic" comments some fairly ordinary looking young men post about themselves on this site :).
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 10th September, 2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                            I'm not sure what I find more ridiculous, the sexist pulp some of you post or the absurd "aesthetic" comments some fairly ordinary looking young men post about themselves on this site :).
                            You mad I'm smiling on you bro?

Comment

Re: Mongolia??

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Canadian Opposition According to Final Ranking

# 10 – Azerbaijan
                              # 16 - Sweden
                              # 22 – Argentina
                              # 29 – Belarus
                              # 31 - Turkmenistan
                              # 43 – Mexico
                              # 46- Mongolia
                              # 50 - Kazakhstan
                              # 52 – Canada# 66 – Albania
                              # 127- Maldives
                              # 136 - Haiti

So in effect, Canada “ played up “ 8/11 times. We really had only 2 “ easy “ matches.

Bob
                              How did Mongolia manage to overtake Canada? or is chess really big in Mongolia and I never noticed?

Comment

Working...
                              X