Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piece-Square Tables

Hi,

I'm looking for piece-square tables. If anyone has any of these that they can be legally used in an open-source project or if anyone can take the time to devise a few, that'd be great.

Piece-square tables are values that determine bonus score for a piece being on a square in the evaluation of a position. Since, a knight on e4 is probably better than a knight on a1, when evaluating a position, it makes sense to give additional centi-pawns (1/100th of a pawn) for the knight on e4 in an evaluation of a position.

I need one for each of the six pieces (P,B,N,R,Q,K) on each of the 64 squares from white's perspective only. From the black side, things can be determined via symmetry.In addition, the tables need not be very accurate since I can just apply my favourite genetic algorithm to tune them, but I need to have a general idea.

Thanks in advance,
    Jesse Wang

Re: Piece-Square Tables

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for piece-square tables. If anyone has any of these that they can be legally used in an open-source project or if anyone can take the time to devise a few, that'd be great.

Piece-square tables are values that determine bonus score for a piece being on a square in the evaluation of a position. Since, a knight on e4 is probably better than a knight on a1, when evaluating a position, it makes sense to give additional centi-pawns (1/100th of a pawn) for the knight on e4 in an evaluation of a position.

I need one for each of the six pieces (P,B,N,R,Q,K) on each of the 64 squares from white's perspective only. From the black side, things can be determined via symmetry.In addition, the tables need not be very accurate since I can just apply my favourite genetic algorithm to tune them, but I need to have a general idea.

Thanks in advance,
    Jesse Wang
    Why don't you create your own to create a truly "original" program?

Comment

It will be original. I just need a ballpark guess to start with, then I can modify that guess with my own code. I suck at chess so, I can't really come up with anything. Right now, my guesses + tuning gives me approximately the correct evaluation, but some of the values are +40 and -40. Clearly this is wrong, but all the mistakes seem to cancel out and give me something close to what Fritz is spitting out.

Comment

I would rate pawns 0 on the first rank, 9 on the eighth:D. It get's complicated by open/closed files and where the opponent's king is.

A quick google search:

general information
        http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.c...-Square+Tables

Here are some tables (except for Queen and Rooks)
        http://www.chessbin.com/post/Piece-Square-Table.aspx

More complicated is the Fruit/Rybka piece coding:
        http://www.top-5000.nl/ZW_Rybka_Fruit.pdf

Comment

Working...
        X