Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 10

Open: Nicaragua

(Canada, near the middle on tiebreak of the 10-matchpoint group, is called the floater, the odd man, and plays the bottom team of the 9-matchpoint group, Nicaragua. They do that just to bug me.)

Anyway, this is an opportunity to catapult back into the race for a respectable score.

Women: Tunisia

Re: Round 10

Why would the middle of a group be a floater? And why would they play the bottom of a group below them? I thought this was a swiss?!
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      Open: Nicaragua

Women: Tunisia
      Nicaragua is seeded 103rd.

Tunisia is also seeded 103rd. Now that's what I call a coincidence. :)

Anyhow, Tunisia's top board is a 1700 player and the others don't show a rating. Nicaragua's top player is rated 2289. Their top 4 boards are 2200 players and the reserve a 2100 player.

I'm looking forward to a couple of easy wins!
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Rd. 10 - National Team - In Progress

Rd. 10 sees Canada's national team ( # 48 ) playing Nicarauga ( # 101 ) on Bd. 32.

GM Mark Bluvshtein ( 2557 ) is on first board ( 32.1 ) playing IM Danilo Canda( 2289 ).

I ( read Fritz ) will be doing live analysis of his game on the chess website, Chess5 ( www.chess5.com ). When you get to the homepage, click on " Public Games " to get the November list of games. Find the game, and then click on " View " and you will get a board and the score, with analysis ( it takes a few seconds for the game to load ). Hope you find it interesting.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 23rd November, 2008, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
          Why would the middle of a group be a floater? And why would they play the bottom of a group below them? I thought this was a swiss?!
          Yeah, well, yes, that is the question, isn't it? Here are the rules on the FIDE website:

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...5&view=article

but I don't see how they relate to the floater behaviour we've seen. There is some logic in the lower group to have its lowest member meet the toughest possible opposition, but I don't see the logic for the upper group, which is of course the more important one.

Comment

Canada's games against Nicaragua are beginning to take some character. Mark's Nc5 Nxc5 dxc5 Nmoves Qb5 encourages White to put a pawn on c4 rather than a piece. But White didn't do that; I thought he had to! Pascal's opponent sac'd a pawn, but he bypassed it for the attack! Igor is cramped, but is still sending his pieces to good squares. Nikolay's position looks spartan (no knights left), but his Qd1-d2-e3 shows that subtle things are happening. Could White possibly be planning g4 Bg2? Black's Qd8-d7-b5 shows that a battle of chess ideas really is shaping up.

Comment

The Twinisia (hah!) match has two Petroffs. Hazel played 11.Bd3xe4 which is much a minority choice. She ended up in a grim battle against bishops. The standard move is 11.Nf3-e5, which Yuanling played a few minutes later in an analogous position.

The other twins are IQPs. Irina has a dream IQP position with an open file, 7th rank, colour complex weaknesses. Dina's position is more complex, but is active and looks safe.

Comment

Is Hazel going to pull off another swindle? I don't believe this, surely Black isn't going to allow all the White pieces to infiltrate.

Comment

It certainly looks like her opponent has started stumbling around. Hiarcs had Hazel down by 3.5 pawns but after 41. Rxa5 she is down much less.

Steve

Comment

Canada - Nicaragua as at 11:50 EST

The men's team look to be cruising to an easy and large victory. Pascal is a whole piece up and his opponent's compensation is dripping away. That game should be the first to finish. On board 4, Nikolay is a comfortable P up with no weaknesses. You may think it's just a P but it's sure to eat into Black's soul -- it's no fun playing a P down with zero comp. On board 1 Mark has what I would call a "dream Sicilian". The d6-e5 P structure cuts down White's counterplay. White will defend doggedly but the rating difference is sure to tell in the long run. Only Igor's position is suspicious as his Knight is on a very poor orbit, but I'd be surprised if he lost.

Comment

Oops, after 53...f4 it looks as though Hazel might even win! Certainly, she can hardly lose. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                        Oops, after 53...f4 it looks as though Hazel might even win! Certainly, she can hardly lose. Am I missing something?
                        I stopped watching. It's like watching a couple of 6 year olds. Last blunder loses.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

LOL Gary, I agree with you. I've seen some pretty bad games.

Comment

What utter nonesense. Hazel blundered the opening. That was clear. She made the only strategic move possible which was attack and hope for some errors. Once she got there her play was very good she forced her opponent to play well to hold a draw. Very resourceful play.

Taking the high road : I have to consider Gary Ruben as a source is both unreliable and
                            has a habit of criticizing my daughter's play. As much as I dislike the negativity it's time to rise above it and understand the source of Gary's comments is not from a good place.
                            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 23rd November, 2008, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Hazel managed to win a lost game. I am assuming that her opponent resigned after 71. Nd3 because of the intended Nf2 or Ne5 winning the g4 pawn. But isn't the game still pretty much a draw at that point? White's a5 pawn will drop and I don't see how White will be able to promote the g-pawn since Black will eventually give up the Bishop for it.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X