X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query to Canada from India

Can any info be shead re: below ?

Dear friends,

I am Manuel Aaron, India's first IM. I played in the 1962 Stockholm Interzonal where Abe Yanofsky of Winnipeg also played. At that time he was accompanied by his charming wife and the South African IM Wolfgang Heidenfeld. I learned later that Abe became Mayor of Winnipeg.

I am 77 now and am engaged in writing "Indian Chess History" which has never been written before.
    In this connection, I would like to have whatever information that you may have on Ramesh D Seth who played in Indian Chess Championships between 1957 and 1961 and played for India at the 1960 Leipzig Olympiad on Board 4.

After the 1960 Olympiad, Ramesh had returned to Leipzig in the mid 1960s for pursuing higher education on a scholarship. After completion of his studies he is said to have emigrated to Canada probably during the period 1966-1975. It is possible that he had played in Canadian Chess tournaments. If you have any information on him whatsoever, especially his phone or Email ID, I will be much obliged to you.

I will be glad to have a reply from you by Email.

Thanking you,

Manuel Aaron

Re: Query to Canada from India

I think he went by another name in Canadian tournaments. (and I cant think of it now but if so he would have appeared in issues of Chess Canada - he was 2100 strength (roughly). Vlad Dobrich might know or Hugh Brodie.

Comment

Possibly this player is the same person queried for http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=110837 (1986 USA open).

Comment

I don't recognize the name at all, and there were very few Indian players in Canadian chess during that time frame (e.g. Mohan Rajagapol and RV Mohan - were they the same person?). No one under the name of "Ramesh" or "Seth" appears in the annual CFC rating lists of 1967 and 1974.

There are 20 games played by "Seth" (no first name) in the 1960 Olympiad in my database (he played every game - 9 preliminary and 11 final-B games).

Canada411 shows a Ramesh Seth in Etobicoke ON, and 9 R. Seth's across Canada. There are also 3 S. Ramesh's and about a dozen other similar names such as S. Rameshan, S. Rameshkumar, and S. Rameshwar.

And to clarify the Yanofsky statement - he was never mayor of Winnipeg. According to Wikipedia:

"He was mayor of the Winnipeg suburb of West Kildonan [annexed by Winnipeg in 1972], and served on the Winnipeg City Council from 1970 to 1986, chairing the Finance Committee. Yanofsky campaigned for the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba in the 1959 provincial election as a candidate of the Liberal-Progressive Party. He finished third against Co-operative Commonwealth Federation candidate David Orlikow in the St. Johns constituency."

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          I don't recognize the name at all, and there were very few Indian players in Canadian chess during that time frame (e.g. Mohan Rajagapol and RV Mohan - were they the same person?). No one under the name of "Ramesh" or "Seth" appears in the annual CFC rating lists of 1967 and 1974.

There are 20 games played by "Seth" (no first name) in the 1960 Olympiad in my database (he played every game - 9 preliminary and 11 final-B games).

Canada411 shows a Ramesh Seth in Etobicoke ON, and 9 R. Seth's across Canada. There are also 3 S. Ramesh's and about a dozen other similar names such as S. Rameshan, S. Rameshkumar, and S. Rameshwar.

And to clarify the Yanofsky statement - he was never mayor of Winnipeg. According to Wikipedia:

"He was mayor of the Winnipeg suburb of West Kildonan [annexed by Winnipeg in 1972], and served on the Winnipeg City Council from 1970 to 1986, chairing the Finance Committee. Yanofsky campaigned for the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba in the 1959 provincial election as a candidate of the Liberal-Progressive Party. He finished third against Co-operative Commonwealth Federation candidate David Orlikow in the St. Johns constituency."
          There is a G Shekhar that played for India in the 1964 Olympiad.

There was (is) a G Sekhar who played in Winnipeg at least in the late sixties, and most recently in the late nineties. I recall seeing old crosstables from the pre-Fischer era, he was near the top in local tournaments.
          Bridge is his game however, he has played for Canada internationally.

However, I can not confirm if it is same person, and I can't recall if someone told me that previously, but I will check with some oldtimers who would likely know.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
            There is a G Shekhar that played for India in the 1964 Olympiad.

There was (is) a G Sekhar who played in Winnipeg at least in the late sixties, and most recently in the late nineties. I recall seeing old crosstables from the pre-Fischer era; he was near the top in local tournaments.
            Bridge is his game however, he has played for Canada internationally.

However, I can not confirm if it is same person, and I can't recall if someone told me that previously, but I will check with some oldtimers who would likely know.
            Cecil Rosner confirms that G Sekhar (CFC #110840) played in the Olympiad.

Comment

My database shows games by G (or Ganesan) Sekhar from 1996-2000 in Winnipeg - as well as a game against Jeff Babb in 1977 (Winnipeg CC ch), and against John Burstow in 1976 (Manitoba op). The same person, or father and son?

A Ganesan Sekhar (and his partner) of Winnipeg won a major bridge event in Portland, Oregon, in 1986. http://www.nytimes.com/1986/03/15/ny...irs-title.html . The article mentions "Sekhar represented his native India at chess".

http://www.olimpbase.org notes that "G. Shekhar" played in the 1964 Olympiad for India.

Comment

I played Ganesan twice in my games in Winnipeg. (1992-2008) It was a big deal for me because he is the first (and only) Manitoba Champion that I've ever defeated in a game. I think he was Manitoba Champion around 1970 or thereabouts. The former editor of the Chess in Manitoba website, Jack Woodbury, would know more about exact dates.

I had a few fun blitz evenings with Ganesan and Carl Grant over at Ganesan's place in River Heights some years ago.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                X