• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Chess Rules - rule 6.2.d

At chess cafe it says
    "Article 6.2.d
    This Article is new, but does not need explanation:
    Only the player whose clock is running is allowed to adjust the pieces."

Back in my day it was common courtesy not to j'adoube your pieces on your oppeonent's time and if someone adjusted their pieces on my time, I would tell them not to do so, although this did not always stop them.

My question is what is the penalty? IMHO kind of sad when we need rules for everything. In golf some of the rules are completely outrageous and the penalties far outweigh the infringements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
      At chess cafe it says
      "Article 6.2.d

Back in my day it was common courtesy not to j'adoube your pieces on your oppeonent's time and if someone adjusted their pieces on my time, I would tell them not to do so, although this did not always stop them.
      Yes, it is (soon was) a non-written rule - adjustments only on your own time.

My question is what is the penalty?
      Upto an arbiter
      13.4 The arbiter can apply one or more of the following penalties:
      • warning
      • increasing the remaining time of the opponent
      • reducing the remaining time of the offending player
      • declaring the game to be lost
      • reducing the points scored in the game by the offending party
      • increasing the points scored in the game by the opponent to the maximum available for that game
      • expulsion from the event.

Comment

Re: New Chess Rules

[QUOTE=Egidijus Zeromskis;57094]I
        A very new one is this:
        Article 6.2.d
        Only the player whose clock is running is allowed to adjust the pieces.

It is not new, the only thing that is new is the appearance of this rule in the competitive rules section.

Comment

At chess cafe it says
          "Article 6.2.d

My question is what is the penalty? IMHO kind of sad when we need rules for everything. In golf some of the rules are completely outrageous and the penalties far outweigh the infringements.
          I remember playing in a tournament back in the early 80s on an adjacent board where two players were paired and one of them was adjusting the pieces all the time, even on his opponent's move. After telling him repeatedly (and quietly) to stop, she had had enough and suddenly yelled at him to knock it off. He stopped. ;-) Later in the tournament I was paired against the opponent of "the adjustor" and went to adjust my pieces after moving but before I hit the clock. I almost got yelled at, too, but I pointed at the clock before my opponent blew her stack.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            I remember playing in a tournament back in the early 80s on an adjacent board where two players were paired and one of them was adjusting the pieces all the time, even on his opponent's move. After telling him repeatedly (and quietly) to stop, she had had enough and suddenly yelled at him to knock it off. He stopped. ;-) Later in the tournament I was paired against the opponent of "the adjustor" and went to adjust my pieces after moving but before I hit the clock. I almost got yelled at, too, but I pointed at the clock before my opponent blew her stack.
            there have always been players who have been compulsive about adjusting all or most of the pieces on every move, sometimes on the opponent's time.

In my view, the rule is welcome but doesn't go far enough. I object to someone adjusting my pieces every move, even if it is on their time. Unless an opponent's piece is clearly not fully in the square, it should not be adjusted - ever.

(and clearly, adjusting pieces on my time while I am thinking is grounds for excommunication.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              Hey Jordan - some of the high end tournaments have restrictions about offered draws, so a draw claim before move x, or sometimes ever, has to be blessed by the Arbiter.

In must of our events, it's about pausing the clock. If you are creating the 3 fold, you must write it down without moving. If your opponent agrees then you're done. If not, your clock is ticking, so you should pause it and seek the assisitance of the Arbiter. Even if your opponent created the 3 fold and you are just claiming it, you may not want to debate the matter on your time. If you pause the clock you are calling the Arbiter.

Does that answer your question?
              Hi Hal!

Yes, that answers my question, and I can see the reasoning behind the rule.

If I understand, though, if both players agree to the repetition, then the Arbiter does not need to intervene. Is that correct?

Jordan
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

What I find interesting is the following:

"12.3 b. A player is forbidden from having a mobile phone and/or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue. If it is evident that the player brought such a device into the playing venue he shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. However, if the opponent cannot win the game by any series of legal moves, his score shall be a draw.

Article 12.3.c

This is a new Article, but based on the practice in several tournaments

The rules of a competition may specify a different, less severe, penalty.
                "

That last bid seems to suggest that forfeiting for cellphone violations are no longer a must. That would actually be quite a departure from the current rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                  What I find interesting is the following:

"12.3 b. A player is forbidden from having a mobile phone and/or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue. If it is evident that the player brought such a device into the playing venue he shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. However, if the opponent cannot win the game by any series of legal moves, his score shall be a draw.

Article 12.3.c

This is a new Article, but based on the practice in several tournaments

The rules of a competition may specify a different, less severe, penalty.
                  "

That last bid seems to suggest that forfeiting for cellphone violations are no longer a must. That would actually be quite a departure from the current rules.
                  I read it differently. I read it as it is forbidden to have a cell phone in the tournament hall even if turned off. Immediate forfeit unless rules of the tournament specifiy a lessor punishment.

This is substantially stronger than the existing rule (forfeit if rings).

Comment

From my understanding of FIDE rules, a time forfeit win (or cel phone forfeit) is to be awarded when ANY possible configuration of chess pieces can result in mate - thus lone kings and bishops of opposite colours is a win because you can mate in the corner provided the opponent helps by placing his own bishop next to his king making checkmate possible.

NOT IN MY TOURNAMENTS

That is a ridiculous rule! Made by some idiot.

Comment

In most of our standard weekenders yes. If you have a draw offer restriction though (say 40 moves), you should obtain the Arbiter's approval for an early repeat. A heard about a double forfeit in a professional event when the Arbiter was not summoned for an early 3 fold. This is too heavy handed IMO, but the result stood.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                        A heard about a double forfeit in a professional event when the Arbiter was not summoned for an early 3 fold. This is too heavy handed IMO, but the result stood.
                        I think that happened several times in the last European championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                          I read it differently. I read it as it is forbidden to have a cell phone in the tournament hall even if turned off. Immediate forfeit unless rules of the tournament specifiy a lessor punishment.

This is substantially stronger than the existing rule (forfeit if rings).
                          Before you were still not allowed to have a cellphone turned on in the playing area, maybe it was just not written as precisely that a forfeit will be given for it. On the other hand, giving the possibility to exert weaker punishments for violations is huge in my opinion.

Comment

I see a deeper problem here with this "only adjust pieces on your own time" concept. The problem I'm thinking of often arises during time scrambles when one moves a piece very fast and you're hit the clock before that piece topples over. Either the piece had not settled onto its new square or maybe it gets taps by the departing hand. No matter; it happens. Most of the time you just set the piece upright and say a quick "sorry." More correct is to restart your own clock, say sorry, set the piece upright and then start his clock. But even here you have "stolen" some time from your opponent (start, stop, restart). What compensation is due him whose time (if only a second) was stolen?
                            Do arbiters watch for this kind of infraction and how do they rule? These piece topple and set back up situations can be over in a second. But, if the clock is pressed before the piece is set aright then a wrong has occured and it's hard to put right.

Comment

At the World Mind Games last year in Beijing the tournament regs called for 3 strikes - time, time loss - if you pressed your clock before fixing a knocked piece. I don't recall if it was 2 minutes, then 3 and then loss or 2,5 loss. It never happened more than once in a game. It was the same penalty for blitz and rapid.

I believe in some Asian tournaments you lose on the first foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Laws of Chess

If a player displaces one or more pieces, he shall re-establish the correct position on his own time. If necessary, either the player or his opponent shall stop the clocks and ask for the arbiter’s assistance. The arbiter may penalise the player who displaced the pieces.
                                The proper procedure is to stop both clocks and ask for the arbiter's assistance. You should never restart your own clock because if an increment is used, you will add time to both yourself and your opponent and it will add one more move to the clock move counter.

Comment

Working...
                                X